Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I didn't know Calista Flockhart was Mexican!
  2. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Pan de Muerto from my local Mexican Panaderia

[​IMG]
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    Nice countertop, too.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747903
    for some reason i had it in my head it was 50% off for all vehicles.

so raise the rates but discount to 1/2. sound like every corporate store's sale in the us.
  5. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. It's Gneiss.:rofl
  6. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A movie about shitty old rocks? Sounds like a doc on the Stones or Who. Re: The beauty of the pan dulce.... biologically speaking I'll grantia that its gneiss.
  7. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and in other news...

Here's a good example of how things are for anyone who is concerned about safety in Mexico.
    There have been 4 accidents for mountain climbers on el Pico in the last 4 weeks with 3 fatalities.
    So, yes, the argument could be made that Mexico is unsafe for mountain climbers, at least around here.
    In the same area, local citizens have taken matters into their own hands and not only put the run on local
    criminals, but have decided to get in the face of the useless police force, too. They chased out the criminals
    and then held the police hostage.
    I would say a well deserved, "orale", is in order.
    Furthermore it proves the theory of what is "muy cabron" and what is "muy chingon"
    Chasing out the criminals was "muy cabron".
    Holding the police responsible and detaining them is "muy chingon".
    Why is this important? Because a week ago, the Mystery Rider and I were right there and having fun.
    Again, nobody is going to bother with you unless you are bothering them. That's how business is carried out.
    We were bothering no one, and no one was bothering us. (Though the goats were eying us suspiciously).
    Mexico is, at least for the moment, unsafe for mountain climbers, corrupt cops, and criminals.
    I never did trust that Jon Krakauer fellow.
    Pobladores retienen a policías!

01 Noviembre, 2012 04:01:00
    [​IMG]
    Maltrata, Ver.- Cansados de la inseguridad y los abusos, habitantes de de ´El Súchil´, Municipio de Maltrata, Ver., ubicada en el parte limítrofe del Estado de Veracruz y Puebla, se organizaron y enfrentaron a un grupo de hombres armados que se había dedicado a robar, asaltar y cometer secuestros, cobro de piso y extorciones en contra de miembros de la comunidad serrana.

Quienes, lograron someterlos, quitarles la camioneta en la que viajaban, a la cual prendieron fuego y los malhechores escaparon hacia la montaña.

Horas después cuando llegaron detectives de la Agencia Veracruzana de Investigaciones (AVI), de la PGJ y elementos de la Policía Municipal, fueron retenidos por la población enardecida.

Desde esta madrugada Fuerzas Federales de la Secretaria de la Defensa Nacional y negociadores del Gobierno mantienen un dialogo con los representantes vecinales, para liberar a los policías, los cuales fueron confundidos, porque vestían igual que los otros y tenían vehículos parecidos.
  8. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll reserve judgement on whether the locals detaining the policia was "muy chingon" until I know more about it MM. Sometimes the criminals depend on a captive police force, (Esp the municipales), to allow/enable them. So then the question of whether the detectives de la Agencia Veracruzana de Investigaciones were held because they or others in the state judicial/police apparatus were culpable if only for not investigating the municipales prior to this. My gut feeling is that they didn't hold the policia hostage for no reason, and likely had some justification even if it was misplaced by detaining the police from Veracruz.
  9. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

The goats probably had a bad experience with the last ADVRider going through the area. Can we say either cabrito or Saturday night's date?
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The AVI police are rotten to the core and that is why the locals did what they did.
    It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last.
  11. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    I am trying to make arrangements for my daughter and her bf to meet me in Palenque the week of 12/17 for the end of the world. I am just starting my research into this. Anyone know if there is 1st Class bus service between Mex City and Palenque? Air Service from Mex City to Hermosillo and then bus to Palenque. I have a lot of groundwork to do and was hoping that one of you out there could give me some leads.

Thanks,

David
  12. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    You will know that things have truly turned in Mexico when you see the perp walk photos, and the accused hide their faces, and the police show theirs.
  13. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's put it this way, you have a better chance for bus service between D.F. and there then you do the world ending per the Mayan calendar.
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I can help you with your Google-Fu:

From Wikitravel:

"The easiest way to get to Palenque is by bus. There are many buses daily from San Cristobal de las Casas (five hours), Tuxtla Gutierrez (six hours), Villahermosa (2.5 hours), Merida (10 hours), Campeche (5 hours), Cancun (13 hours). Daily (one or two buses) also from Mexico City (16 hours), Oaxaca (15 hours), Playa del Carmen (12 hours), and Tulum (12 hours).

The ruins are about 6 km from the town of Palenque and minibuses run between the town and ruins every 10 to 15 minutes during the day. Combis - shared taxis - are also available. Just wait at the park gate at El Panchan. A colectivo will pick you up."

Me personally I would anticipate the bus from Mexico City to San Cristobal de las Casas and a connection from there to Palenque could be easiest if finding or figuring out a more direct bus proves difficult for whatever reason.

Busses basically run everywhere all the time in one fashion or another and incidentally are the moto travelers good backup plan if the bike takes a mechanical holiday for whatever reason.
  15. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, she will easily find Uno, Estrellas, Platino, GL, etc...luxury bus service out of Mex DF to a few points close to Palenque. Try the ADO website for rates and routing.
  16. subcomm

subcomm adrenaline junkie

Oddometer:
    Ahh, the beauty of Palenque and the lovely Ester. A good place to be at the end of the world.
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Absolutely
  18. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Wau...México de verdad es peligroso.
  19. terrapinneck

terrapinneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watching "Once a Time in Mexico" for the upteenth time...I always feel better by the end of the movie....
  20. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Thanks as always gentlemen for the wit and wisdom.

I meant Villahermosa but you guys probably knew that. Thanks