From Madol-Duuwa to around the world

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dylan.S, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the America's!

If you should ever find yourself in the middle of the U.S. (as in Iowa) give me a call. I too grew up in Switzerland as a transplant, although my home became Glattbrugg in the Canton of Zuerich.
    I now live in Sioux City, where Nebraska, South Dakota, and Iowa all meet. I've got plenty of room if you'd need to take a brake and my basement contains most items necessary for the art of motorcycle maintenance.
    Anyway, keep up the good work,

Marc

712)255-4461
  2. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Wow Andrew! I am speechless! Thanks pal!
  3. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks Marc!
  4. lynch180

lynch180 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dylan ,
    This is how I first heard about your journey, it was a post on horizons unlimited......

"Or another alternative: whilst in Panama they met an Indian (from India) on a BMW GS 850 or something like that. He built himself a raft, using his shaft drive to power the propeller... it may be for sale in Cartagena now if it's not in a museum "

I was blown away, wanted to believe it but was slightly sceptical :huh

I got a link to your RR today:clap You are a pioneer, unafraid of the unknown an inspiration to many......... God bless and safe travels :freaky
  5. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello friends,

It's been a fair while since I last posted about what's been happening. As you probably gathered from my previous postings, I had to abandon my travels for a short period simply because I ran out of cash. After reaching Colombia I had to leave back home with the hope of getting a job and hoping to save some money so that I could return to Colombia and resume the motorcycle adventure southwards. I got back to Switzerland in June and found a job as a motorbike mechanic. Enjoyed the summer going swimming in beautiful lakes, and lots of paragliding and managed to play cricket over the weekends. Though I said that I will be back on the road in six months, it didn't look that realistic. But I managed save enough for an airfare and to persuade my employer to give me 10 weeks of holidays. I will be back to Colombia mid December and restart my journey. I have no idea how far I will get down the road but I am sure it's gonna be a ten weeks of adventure!
    My bike definitely needs lot of attention. I noticed that the front and rear suspension, the starter motor, ignition system and a few more items need replacing. I sent a request to BMW Switzerland whether they could give me the parts. I certainly don't have enough money to buy the parts and travel as well. I'm quite keen to know what kind of response I'll get from them. Either way it's gonna be exciting for sure! It's time to cancel the pause button and play the adventure! In the mean time, here are some photos of what I've been up to in the last six months!

Thanks to all those who supported me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Bendernz

Bendernz Torrential

Oddometer:
    Magnificent images, as always Dylan and great to hear you're resuming your travels.
  7. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank lynch180,
    As with most people who get to hear about the raft think it's a tall story. I've got used to it :-)

8. enceladus

enceladus I want off this rock

Oddometer:
    Well you really got a lot of people thinking with this ride report. I guess the only thing left to do now is to see if Bruce can fly. hehehe
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm another one who saw your tale posted on Horizon's Unlimited. What an amazing journey!

You're crazy!

What did you do the first thing when you got your bike back on solid ground? Go to a car wash? :lol3 Holy cow, the salt.

I'll be following along from now on. Next time I'm in Switzerland I'll have to stop in to say hi.

Jamie
  10. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

You think breaking down in the middle of nowhere sucks? Try breaking down in the ocean on a raft 130km of the nearest coast where there is no soul around!!! Well, I haven't yet found out if Dolphins had souls.
  11. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi Jamie,

You're right. The first thing I did was to give Bruce a good wash. But there weren't any carwash places in the Darien :-)

Yep, pls do stop by if ever you're in Switzerland!
  12. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I was thinking about flying Bruce. ehmmm... I think you should stop challenging me or else I will have sleepless nights planing it :D
  13. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    What a wonderful report from a remarkable young man. I don't have words for my admiration for you, Dylan. It's guys like you that put mankind on the moon. Thanks so much.
  14. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful adventure and brilliant storytelling. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the rest of the journey.
  15. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    ....another great Vid, Dylan. You are a special person.
  17. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Crooked Creek! Peace!
  18. Dylan.S

Dylan.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ratman! It takes a special person to recognize that :-)
  19. enceladus

enceladus I want off this rock

Oddometer:
    Check out the video on You Tube called "Sky Bike".
    Good luck.
    Ron
  20. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

this one?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p-rAAenzGi4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>