Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So .. Mexadventure ACE insurance called they going to make me a check for 9k plus the add on's I paid 2500 pesos transportation from Durango to Acuna . Actually I paid 1500 to Torreon from there a friend of son who has 18 wheelrs brought it to the border and gave 1000 pesos tip to the chofer Im glad i was able to cancel the permit . havent be riding since need to make sure the foot welds well but getting close maybe in a couple of weeks will be heading back to Mexico.:norton

[​IMG]

Glad you are in Texas SR hope to see you tomorrow
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Sonora has a free zone, laughingly referred to by the Aduana SAT tax people as the "Hassle Free Zone". Per the map that someone put up yesterday, the free zone in Sonora is From Agua Prieta (Douglas) north of Mexico HWY 2 West to Mexico HWY 15 and south to Empalme. That puts San Carlos, Kino Bay and Peñasco in the no permit required zone.

As for the rest of the state of Sonora, you have 2 options. You can get the full blown national permit and pay a deposit of $200,$300 or $400. As of last June, they actually charge your credit card where in the past they threatened to charge you if you did not return the permit. You can also get "Sonora Only" which is goo for the whole state. The Rio Sonora, the Sierra Madre, Yecora and Alamos and the cities of CD Obregon and Navojoa all require on or the other type of permit. With the Sonora Only, you pay $50 and there is no deposit. The permit will always be conterminous with your visa - 7days for free or 180 days for a fee. If you cross at Douglas/AP, or Naco (when they re open) you can get a Sonora Only. If you cross at Nogales and try to get a Sonora Only at the Banjercito at KM 21 they will tell you you have to go to Empalme. Crazy. I have a full national on my Tiger, My wife has Sonora Only on the Suburban. Once past the Checkpoits at 30 KM (Fronteres, Mututicachi and San Antonio, you chances of being stopped for a permit check are almost nil. I drove my Suburban to Moctezuma this week to pick up a stranded biker. The trailer has expired plates and is not on the permiso. No one gave me a 2nd look.

The tourist interests outside the free zone are trying to get all of Sonora Free Zone - no permits needed like Baja and Baja Sur. If you want to help, send a pm. There is a bunch of info on permits I put together at http://www.losarcossonora.com/index.php/thehotel/maps/attheborder.
  3. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bato, glad to hear that Mexadventure insurance made good. They are the ones I always use, and I have heard good about them in the past. Glad of course you are doing good as well.
  4. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Thanks Man! Very interesting!

Is there still a decent RV park community at San Carlos?

I have heard that Mexico doesn't issue any sort of permit for utility trailers. RV trailers, on the other hand, can get a 10 year "mobile house" permit.
  5. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen a few Harleys that could likely qualify for that. The "mi casa es su casa" license plate frame would not be out of place.
  6. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Harley's, Gold Wings, K1200LT's. All so big you can live on them ;)
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Your utility trailer permit is associated with your car permit and you have to present both the trailer and the car when you clear the paper work.

I have not talked to anyone about the 10 year permits since the law was "adjusted" in June. I think the 10 year RV, camping trailer deal still exists. If it is a trailer, the tow vehicle gets a regular permiso though. The problem is that that they rotate people through the Banjecito and they all make up their own rules at times. Since I sell hotel rooms and not RV spaces, I have not kept up but I'll try to have a chat next time I'm at the border.

As for San Carlos, yes, they have RV parks. Lots of Gringos and Canadians. There is one behind the Best Western almost just across from Charlie's Rock, and more to the west.
  8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Amigo. If I live long enough - and at this point have no reason to think otherwise - San Carlos for a few months is on my bucket list.

Just as another data point to further confuze (sic) anyone reading this, in another thread I mention that the paperwork isn't signed yet but I think that I am getting a mid sized truck to recondition and use as a 5th wheel travel trailer toter. One thing that scared me away from converting a larger Class 8 truck was that I had heard of a few tales of the Mexican authorities not recognizing a large truck as being a private RV hauler unless the travel trailer is attached. That becomes a serious issue if you drop the trailer and leave Mexico, then try to return to retrieve the trailer. Sounds like a PITA but most US states also make you jump through hoops if you convert a big truck.
  9. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PJ: FYI, I stopped at the fancy RV park out toward the resorts at the far end of San Carlos a few years ago to research what it would cost to park my Airstream there, and was amazed at the price I was quoted, (which translated to about $30/day, US). I'm hoping they have a better monthly rate. Not sure what the one across from Charley's Rock costs.
  10. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Big trucks are a problem. I know one guy who lives north of here and he has a big IH flat bed. He can't get a permit so he runs it through some woman's ranch to get past the Aduana check points. I have Canadian drillers working at the local silver mine here and they have a Ford F550 with a small crane. They could not get a TVIP at KM21 south of Nogales but got one the same day at Agua Prieta. The did pay a mordita; its just different people interpreting the rules.

My understanding is that the 10 year permit is to allow you leave your camping trailer in Mexico when you drive back to the US. The whole deal is about the tax authorities keeping cars out unless they have been properly imported and fees paid. It isn't working. Every town away from the bigger cites is filled with US vehicles with expired US tags. The local cops don't care since they get no revenue from writing tickets or impounding them. That all goes to the feds. Smuggling cars in is easy if you have a gringo confederate at the wheel, not hard if you are Mexican with a US Visa.
  11. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Went by the shop this morning. They're making good progress on your bike rebuild.

[​IMG]
  12. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Training wheels? ;)
  13. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I am still a little rattled over the recent comments here about needing vehicle permits in Tamaulipas because I am pretty sure that wasn't the case a few years ago. You used to see tons of Texas plates in Victoria and Tampico and I remember the guys at the checkpoint south of Matamoros in 2006 not giving a rat's ass about our vehicles although they wanted to see our tourist visas.

I have run across nice travel trailers with expired US plates stashed in some weird spots and often thought that someone was hiding them from the repo guy.

When I rode into Sonora in 1999 I was just getting interested in RVing and ran across several individuals and groups with nice RV's and bus conversions (and plenty doing things on a budget, too, I might add) but in the last several years I have seen few RVers in Mexico in this eastern part of the country.
  14. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me help you out. Hold still.

[​IMG]
  15. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    The guy fixin' to get the slug is a good friend of mine from Marfa. Too funny. BTW i'm at the pinche mall La Cantera. I've seen my first $350 skinny legged kacki britches. Ejole! "Hey, what's this all about?" Slug. Creepy, scary movie.
  16. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Creepy, scary movie ... And filmed up the road from here and over in Piedras Negras as I recall.

Just another fun week in the oil patch, Amigos. Anyone want to go huntin' around here? ;)
  17. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information...I'll be down in Douglas this winter and going south, not sure where yet...

Steve
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    I have a pop-up camper trailer to pull behind my Goldwing and you can buy it all! :D It even has an air-conditioner! :rofl
  19. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Do you have to de-install the Cappuccino maker to put in the Ben and Jerry's ice cream dispenser or do they both just slide into the dash?
  20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Old Lady and I had a K1200LT. I can relate. Although I prefer the lighter stuff and a motel room when possible ;)