Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. oldgringo

oldgringo Jacked it all

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Brazilian built Honda CTX 200, sold here in Peru
  2. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the thing on the rack is the handle for the shovel. There appears to the a panel with a tire pump "icon" underneath it. I would assume there is a built in compressor.
  3. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    So my DR is not under 250. However by todays standard it might as well be a 250. Compared to the wr250r it has less power and weighs the same. Here is my set up for a tour I did in the fall. Would like to get rid of the top mounted dry bag for some saddle bags in the future.

Attached Files:

4. dec181966

dec181966 Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    You're right about that being a shovel handle and if look close you can see that the bash plate is also the other 1/2 of the shovel.

Maybe not the bike for everyone but nice to see a manufacturer looking at the farkles a lot of us add and making them factory. Extra lights, racks (top & side), bash plates stock......nice to not have to go spend another $500-1000 to get what most see a required parts for a solid adventure bike.
  5. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Try Dirt Bagz. or if you need them to be waterproof, some throwover Ortliebs.

The DR350 is one of my favorite cheap Mexico touring bikes. It will go anywhere and runs OK on the long, straight highway drones.
  6. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:

That looks like a cross between a Tdub and a Rokon ~ and that's a good thing.

While looking at the video I saw this video for the 250 Tenere. Very nice looking.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/prWhorZG7bI" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  7. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    The 250 Tenere would be great. I also like the new Honda CBR250R. I am really surprised how many comments and reactions the XTW250 has received.
    Probably can't get the 250 Tenere in the US either.
  8. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    The XTZ250 Tenere is a special Yamaha Brazil creation, only available in South America. Very cool bike, I think that they would make a nice longer distance tourer for a light traveler. Big tank, fairing, windshield, EFI, comfortable seat.
  9. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also like the Honda CBR250R. :nod I am eager to see some of these used bikes become available. :deal The review in the link below compares the Honda CBR250R favorably with the Kawaski Ninja 250R. :nod

http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/03/04/kawasaki-ninja-250r-vs-honda-cbr250r-comparison-test/

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2N1OtCfLmss?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spud :wave
  10. ThomasVolomitz

Oddometer:
    Saw one on the Columbus CL a guy bought for his wife. She didn't want it, he wanted $3750. 269 miles.
  11. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Honda CBR250R is available in three color schemes for 2012. I really like the red/silver version. :nod

[​IMG]

13. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Hannda

Oddometer:
  15. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. :nod I really like small displacement, single cylinder motorcycles. :D I would love to get one of the newer, Honda CBR250R bikes. :nod

16. Hannda

Oddometer:

It sounds like fun, but I don't ride well enough to do any of the things they mention in the article. If I had one it'd be like an uncomfortable
    Vespa that couldn't carry the groceries. :shog:lol3
  17. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I guess I subscribe to the minimalist mentality of this thread. :wink: I enjoy the simple maintenance, low purchase price, and low operating costs inherent in single cylinder, low displacement motorcycles. :nod In addition, I think the Honda CBR250R would be a lot of fun to ride, whether touring, or on a local, twisty road. :D

Spud :beer
  18. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed riding my Zongshen 200GY-2 for 42,000 miles across Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana. :nod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Zong has proven to be a very rugged, reliable, and capable, dual sport motorcycle. :nod It is also very economical to operate and maintain. :deal However, the Honda CBR250R seems capable of holding its own on limited access highways, and looks like it would be a very fun, yet economical sport/touring motorcycle. :D

19. ThomasVolomitz

Oddometer:
    Talk about getting your moneys worth!
  20. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So who will be the first to ride the TAT on a Chinese bike ?
    Once they get out of the 200cc rut I think they'll become more
    popular. Lots of people like them. Blimpman had one and it ran pretty well, tho he's
    an engineer and pretty adept with a wrench.
    fascinating.