Anyone not like their Super Tenere?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pluric, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling

Feck me. Your supposed to ride em, not drop them out of helicopters.
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spoke with Woody's today. They had to order parts. So a couple weeks before
    I can get the "New and Improved" set up. I'll go see if something else in the garage
    will start. All has been ignored since the wheel bending Beast showed up.
  3. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:

They have heard about you. They Had to talk to NASA about some special unobtainium that would do the job.

After you get these NASA wheels, what excuses are you thinking of trying next :lol3
  4. scottie boy

scottie boy Homebrew Guru

Oddometer:
    Pluric, I have got to ask. What in the heck are you doing to your bike to bend the wheels like this?

I love my Tenere but I'm under no delusion that its a 300lb dirt bike.
  5. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I love my Tenere, I do have a few gripes with it.

Sitting at about 9k miles right now.

- The side mounted radiator - It gives off too much heat. When the temps are cooler, it isn't an issue at all, but here in Oklahoma we can have 100F+ temps for weeks on end. As long as I'm sitting properly with both hands on the handlebars, it's fine. When I'm on a long slab run, however, I tend to like to rest my left hand on my leg, or lay it across the tank, and I just can't do that on the Tenere because as soon as I take my hand off the handlebar I can feel the heat coming off the radiator. Fall, winter, and spring are no problem, but it's very uncomfortable in the summer heat. For a bike that does long distance so well, I need to be able to move around a little bit without getting punished with excess radiator heat.

- The seat - I know everybody's rear end is different, but the seat on the Tenere just isn't as comfortable to me as the seat on the DL1000. It's fine, but not great. Again, for a bike that does long distance so well, it should be better.

- Shifting - I've heard time and time again people praising the gearbox on the S10, so something must be wrong with mine. It shifts like a truck. Notchy, clunky, loud, ugh. Hate it.

I do like the bike as a whole and have no plans of replacing it. Might even pick one up for the gf, but it isn't exactly "perfect" imo.
  6. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    You probably have already heard about needing to pull the shifter and grease the shaft after cleaning the shifter. Shifts great after that, some have even put a zerk in the shifter right over the groove in the shaft.

I got some of that Enid, Ok heat in July on the way to Un-Rally in Salida, Co. 109f when we stopped. :eek1

I put on a Corbin right before leaving for Alaska in June, worked great! I made 10,006 miles in 21 days, camping mostly.
  7. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wfopete and I are starting a Haters Gonna Hate Tenere club. So far we are the only two members.:wink:

Not 100% sure. It must have something to do with the mass of my ass equals the ding in the thing.:dunno

I do admit I start out riding it like a 1200cc Beast then one thing leads to another and it's so fun to have all
    that wheel spinning power on tap that speed could be a factor. It also gets into some trails that are not your
    average groomed gravel roads.

In the Tenere's defense my smaller bore trail bikes have a few dings too. Must be all these Utah rocks???

[​IMG]
  8. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    The Tiger kicks out a LOT of heat at low speed, and it heats up a lot at traffic lights. You can feel it climbing grades, but overall it's tolerable. The seat is stellar, pillion was re-worked and recovered for less slope, more dish, more foam. Fortunately not so great seats can be re-worked. I imagine there are lots of options to modify the Tenere seat. I wonder if the seat guy Spencer does them. He did a bunch for Versys owners, the stockers were universally horrible, and they looked good, worked good, for under $300. I did mine myself. If you're handy with upholstery there are some fantastic DIY how-to's online. The all seem to benefit from a more pronounced dish shape for your butt which reduces pressure points, and proper cushioning for the bones that support your weight. Sorry, no scientific descriptors for you. :D

For shifting, try loading the shifter as the next gear is coming up, then click up as soon as you pull the clutch and just a tiny blip of the throttle. Most bike trannies seem to benefit from this technique - instant smooth shift. I noticed the clunky downshifting on my test ride, but I gotta tell you the GS is worse. The Tiger can be a little notchy downshifting if you don't transition down as you decellerate. If you stop before downshifting sometimes it won't shift at all without bumping the clutch to get the shafts moving. The Versys trans was really clunky and required the quick-shift technique to get smooth shifts out of it.
  9. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the gear shift gets real bad, I get mad at it and shift it without the clutch. It actually seems to smooth out for a bit after I do that :lol3

Haven't heard about that. I'll give it a shot.
  10. ArmyMedic

ArmyMedic Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer:
    My Tenere's kickstand is too short an my bike leans pretty far over. Seat was slanted forward from the factory but thankfully there was a quick mod to flatten it out. Bitchin bike though.
  11. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The need for the fix is shown on page 4 of this thread: http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=3360.45
  12. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it. I'll be cleaning and re-greasing mine tonight :D
  13. vanram

vanram Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did 8200km in 7 days this summer
    I love this bike!!
    It will do what you ask of it and more.
    I put heidenau's on it for better offroad
    manners. I have a few issues but repaired all
    myself.
  14. 1reddawg

1reddawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Here is my fix to that problem.A simple Hockey Puck:D:D
  15. JOEdogtag

JOEdogtag n00b

Oddometer:
    I Love the Bike.
    but I also got the same problem with the seat.
    may i ask, how would u mod that?
    thanks.
  16. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. JOEdogtag

JOEdogtag n00b

Oddometer:
  18. Flydream

Flydream King of the Atlantic

Oddometer:
    My first issue with my bike :evil after 2 years
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know, that living in a small Island ( all the time near the sea ) doesn't help, but this is unacceptable...:lol3
  19. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man that is just no good. :huh

Hope YAMAHA fixes it for you. :deal

All the best and hope it all turns out well in the end...:lol3
  20. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the issue is with the vice grips you're using.:wink::augie