2013 RMAR San Juan 500

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders is proud to announce, new for 2013, the San Juan 500. The SJ500 is a point-to-point ride ending in Silverton, CO, just in time to join the RMAR Rendezvous. Both events will occur on the same week, allowing riders to participate in both, one after the other. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    This is a three day / three night smaller version of the CAM 1000, but is open to the mid-weight adventure bikes in the 650-990cc class, as well as smaller, street-legal dual-sports. We’ll carry our gear and camp in high-country campgrounds. No sag wagon on this ride.
    THIS RIDE IS NOW FULL!!

Registration is closed.
    [/QUOTE]

<HR align=center SIZE=2 width="100%">
    July 22-25, 2013 – San Juan 500: <o:p></o:p>
    Event: 2013 RMAR San Juan 500<o:p></o:p>
    Dates: July 22-25, 2013<o:p></o:p>
    Base camp: Red Mountain RV, Silverton, CO <o:p></o:p>
    Fundraising: This event will help support groups preserving our sport in SW Colorado<o:p></o:p>
    Event Leader: Matt McCabe, Operations Director and VP of RMAR (Mac on ADV)

Route: 3.5 Days (3 nights) of 500+ Miles of Primarily Off-Pavement Riding, Point to Point, around southwestern Colorado. We're starting and ending in Silverton, Colorado, just in time to start the 2013 <o:p></o:p>
    RMAR Rendezvous.<o:p></o:p>
    Meals & Accommodations: Tent Camping fees are included, but meals are your own responsibility. Most will tent camp (at an established campground with bathrooms and showers), but each evening, a motel or cabin might be an option on your own dime. Every day, a diner or cafe will be available for breakfast and dinner. Each rider will pack their lunch and eat on the trail.<o:p></o:p>
    Bikes / Ride Groups: We will have six bike groups of 5 riders each (including the Guide), for a total of 30 riders maximum (rider slots are limited for the first 24 riders to apply and be accepted). Groups will be formed after the first afternoon of riding based upon skill level and bike of choice (requests for riders to be in the same group will be honored). All groups will stop in the same locations each day and for the evening to enjoy each other’s company and hear all the tall-tales around a campfire.<o:p></o:p>
    Gear: Each Rider and Bike will be required to carry (at the least) basic survival gear in the event we will have to spend the night in the woods at 11,000 feet elevation (which happened twice in 2012 in the very challenging CAM 1000 over 7 days). The Basic Gear must include a sleeping bag, tarp/tent, two days of food and water and your clothing. (There will not be a support truck hauling gear.)<o:p></o:p>
    Limitations: This Ride will be limited to the first 24 accepted applicants (2-up is one "applicant"). Invitations/Applications will be sent out, starting in January. This is a challenging adventure ride and it is possible that a lack of riding skills or the wrong bike could eliminate a candidate. <o:p></o:p>
    Fund Raising: A large percentage of the fees will go directly to an organization that either maintains trails in Colorado or fights legally to keep our access and trails open. More detail will be added to this as it is developed. RMAR is a non-profit organization and all officers and workers are 100% volunteer.<o:p></o:p>
    Swag: A very nice riding jersey, stickers and Video/Pictures of the ride are included.

<o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

[​IMG]
  2. BrownEyedSuzanne

BrownEyedSuzanne n00b

Oddometer:
    I am really excited about this ride, as Big_John and I might do it 2-up if I can get the time off from work.

By July, we will hopefully be riding on his new KTM 990.

Any couples proficient in 2-up adventure riding and have the right bike, come join us!
  3. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I'm in for this one for sure.....either on the faithful DRZ, or hopefully on a new to me 950 Adventure! :freaky
  4. Big_John

Oddometer:
    If you are "IN", remember to promptly email Mac (Email Hyperlink), securing your spot on the invite list.

I wish we could allow anyone and everyone to do this ride, but we have to keep the numbers of riders at a manageable amount......The reasons are:

1. For focused support and truly a team ride
    2. To be highly organized on a designated route
    3. Keep the dust level down
    4. Don't want to get any bigger than 30 riders, to maximize the comraderie and friendship factor
  5. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, the "Interested" list has a few names on it already. Invites will go out in the next few weeks, in order of names on the list, so don't wait. We will fill up quickly. (The CAM 1000 is nearly full already).

If you're interested in getting on the list, send me an email with your real first and last name and ask to be put on the list.

If you have general questions about the ride, feel free to ask and we'll talk about it here in this thread.
  6. TBKahuna

TBKahuna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mac, I was going to try and make this one but it appears that Brown Eyed Suzanne will be riding two up with Big John. There she goes -- dashing my dreams :cry. Looks like I'll just make the CAM 1000 :D
  7. Big_John

Oddometer:

Only in your dreams, buddy........

8. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    This ride is filling up quickly. We're over half way full already.

If you're interested in getting on the "interested" list, send me an email and let me know. We do have a few 2-up riders, so don't be shy. Let me know, ask questions, whatever...

Invitations / applications will only be sent directly to those on my list.
  9. D-Train

D-Train Dusty Wessels

Oddometer:
    Email sent:D
  10. Big_John

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Oh, this sounds like great fun :clap. I'm IN and email has been sent :deal

Dave
  12. D-Train

D-Train Dusty Wessels

Oddometer:
    Yes:clap Sarah and I hopefully get invited and it would be great to ride with you Dave:clap
  13. Bobo

Bobo Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Email sent (a few days ago). Should be a lot of fun. I read that the campgrounds will have showers. I assume we are talking about kind associated with lightning, right?
  14. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got you on the list, don't worry. I'll have an email out to everyone who has sent me an email by the end of the weekend.

The exact campgrounds are still to be determined, but if you have some control of the weather please feel free to schedule clear skies and awesome weather. :evil
  15. Big_John

Oddometer:

This is still a crap shoot, a nightly shower. Our route is 70% sealed, but until we can do some pre-riding in June and July, we won't set it in stone. This could affect the list of campgrounds we can choose from. I can guarantee everyone that Mac will do his best to make that happen.

I will be carrying one of these on the CAM1k and the SJ500. Good $8 solution and packs tiny.

[​IMG]

A fully heated pot of water poured in with the cold tap water makes for a nice, luke warm wash-off before slipping in the sleeping bag. I sleep much better when the dirt and sweat is off the skin.

16. Big_John

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Big_John

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Bobo

Bobo Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

There's always this:
    [​IMG]
  19. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Great :clap. I'm waiting to make my campground reservations for RMAR until I know how many nights the truck and RV will be there.
  20. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I can answer that now.

Participants in the San Juan 500 will need to arrive in Silverton by Sunday and be prepared to roll out on Monday morning. We have a specific area reserved to park our vehicles in Silverton at Red Mountain until we return to Silverton on Thursday (mid-day), for the start of the Rendezvous. So, when you make your reservation, let them know you may be participating in the San Juan 500.