NikonsAndVStroms Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NikonsAndVStroms, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Garand

Garand Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer:
    Thoughts?

[​IMG]
  2. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I wish I had some proper noise canceling software since that cell image is straight from the camera and not much smaller than the initial capture size. I learned how to get spot on exposures with it, which is a huge pain I don't recommend it unless you have no other choice like I did.

The Nikon one is a 10MP image but I have made some nice 11x14 prints of it. Point and shoots have the advantage of a large depth of field even at F2.8.
  3. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I would frame it a bit higher so the bike's rear tire is near the bottom of the frame, just give a little bit of road to not cut it off. And maybe move them slightly more to the right.

As for the train if you have a tripod go for a longer exposure, I think some more motion blur would do a lot for it. As of right now you have a little bit on the train but it is close enough to being sharp to look almost fuzzy instead of that representation of motion. Hopefully it is a long train if you get to go there again but play with different shutter times just going slower and slower.
  4. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, basically what I was thinking. The bottom one is the closest to the DOF I was aiming for, but even that one bugs me...that front fig! If I narrowed it down more, I really would have to change the angles or hyperfocal point a bit to make the front fig less of a prominent fuzz in the foreground. The middle one has great tone, but that back stick just distracts me. The top one doesn't have the degree of background blur I wanted. I think I should have either pulled back to get the white framing completely or got closer on the last one to fill the frame.

Yes, it's an slr....see...you need to give a picture that gives you a clue... The dof of course being the tell. It's a panny L1, though. Of course full-size images would help too, but I can't stand pixel peepering.
  5. Garand

Garand Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer:
  6. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    The L1 :eek1

OK I am jealous, I love the idea of a DSLR that you can shoot like an old school camera. All the features on my D700 are nice but honestly 95% of the time I just use basic controls. I learned on a Nikon FE and still think that way (except for sports and concert work I use center weighted metering).
  7. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:
    Beat me up on this one.....

[​IMG]
  8. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. HighAlpineDrifter

HighAlpineDrifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap (yes, my bias is showing. :lol3)

10. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's definitely a unique camera to work with, especially with the lenses that were built w/ the on-lens aperture control ring. Pretty fun. It's really perfect if you have low aversion to swinging it over to full-manual. I could do with a better viewfinder though. They used that "porro prism" set-up to get the rangefinder viewfinder placement. It's noticeably "tunnel-ish" compared to the more conventional viewfinders. And it defaults to a 1/30 shutter speed in Av mode...wtf...not perfect for moving targets. Plusses & minuses. The white balance sensor is friggin amazing...I almost never take it off Auto, and when I do, the kelvin adjustment tool is a breeze.

Yep...the P&S can sometimes do a better job hitting the shutterspeeds you need for handheld shots, when you have to stop down a full-sized SLR to F/6-ish to get the foreground & background all in crisp focus.
  11. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    F6 on 4/3 with a full frame camera you can lose a lot of that high ISO advantage if you need a deep DOF.

I go from 4/3 to APS-C to full frame and it is interesting to experience the strengths of each.

Side note for full frame cameras, I really want a Sony A850 for studio work, 24MP for 1,999 :clap it would be amazing for landscapes, macro, and studio work.

And another one......you never have enough cameras :evil
  12. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Only thing I want is more! :deal

A tiny bit more sky and some more on the edges, I really like the trees int he foreground.
  13. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I would move the bike a bit more centered since it is slightly off, and use curves to really black it out. Also I would do a bit more exposure on the clouds so you can get closer to the absolute white in them. Especially going for this shadow technique you can expose completely for the clouds, and then bring the bike down to black.

Is this 2 images? The reason I ask is the bike is really crisp and the clouds look like they are distorted from an ultra wide angle lens. If not those are some crazy clouds.

I would crop in though since you have vignetting especially in the upper right to get rid of that, and most of the interesting visual information is in the bottom half of the image, the top is just some sporadic clouds.

In just playing around with it's position on my monitor taking that little big off the left and stopping at the end of the crazy cloud really makes it stand out a lot more.
  14. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    First with the composition I would take a bit off the left where you have those bits of lightness and then you have the tree as a solid framing element. Also I would take a bit off the top, below the darker branch in the upper right of the image. There are 2 reasons for this, that harsh of a black especially with the sky grabbed my attention and it is a relatively empty section of the image so this is a distraction. Then looking purely at the mountain scene you have a lot of negative space this takes away from it.

In the foreground you did the best you could. Maybe there was a slightly better angle but the lighting on the 2 people just isn't there.

The last bit I am not sure how I feel about and that is the tree which while part of the forest still subtly stands out enough in the center to grab me especially due to that position. Now that I noticed it my eye is drawn there and then the mountain vista is secondary......it could be from looking at the image for too long :lol3 but watch out for it.
  15. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was battling the glare a bit too, was very bright up there with full sun and snow at altitude.

Here are a few more from the same couple of days, these were all shot last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I need to jump on a plane and get my ass there ASAP :lol3 that place is a landscape goldmine.

Instead Saturday I am going to Detroit for a bit over a week...it will be interesting to see what I can get out of there.
  17. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it was my first time up there. The Glacier Parkway through Banff, (snow covered right now, but driveable) is over 100 miles of insane landscape on both sides of the road, and rolls right up into Jasper Nat Park, which is just as cool.

I've been to most American national parks, and this group of parks rivals anything we have. Very lightly traveled too, at least this time of year.

Only negative I can say, is that Canada doesn't do as much to make the parks easy to navigate, i.e. pull-offs, etc. Always feel like your car is going to get hit on the shoulder when you leave it to explore.
  18. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I can't say anything beyond amazing for that landscape.

I haven't been to too many myself but my father moved down by Shenandoah National Park in VA so next month I'll be checking it out.