Picture storage/backup

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Reinhold, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Reinhold

Reinhold No, not Messner

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a tablet or any other device that would allow me to download my picture cards so on my trips I would have a redundant storage system.
    The iPad will let you download them but not let you transfer them back to a card. Not interested in web storage accounts. Any suggestions?

Looking for something small and compact. Something that I could carry in my riding jacket. A screen would be nice so I can use it for wifi.
  2. trululu96

trululu96 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm sure the Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 will make it.
    It has a micro sd slot and you can transfer things both ways

The problem with almost any tablet is the limited storage, I mean in an ipad its up to 64 gb but in this one is just 8, I always prefer the good old external hard drive.

Greetings
  3. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know how Ipads work, but most other devices don't just erase your card when you put the photos on that device. They leave the card alone. You can browse the card in Windows Explorer and it shows up just like any other hard drive.

As mentioned earlier, unless you take your photos in really crappy resolutions or only take a few occasional pics, the amount of storage you have on your devices is going to evaporate very quickly.

I'm usually shooting RAW on my dSLR and the laptop is not enough. The problem is that online storage places are also not suitable because they are limited by your local internet connection. It takes forever to upload 8gig card to Google Drive/whatever. It is often impossible.
  4. ColonelDibsies

ColonelDibsies Adventurer

Oddometer:
    instead of a tablet, you could get a small laptop. That should have a large enough hard drive to save your pictures, also you could then get a usb powered external hard drive. Double redundancy.
  5. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ipad is bad for this get the android 7 inch with a external drive
  6. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    Just use local computers with a external HD and card reader. I know you mentioned,"'Not interested in web storage accounts'", which I don't know why as you get redundancy and don't have to worry about "losing" photos should you crash and damage your machine, whichever machine you choose.
  7. Reinhold

Reinhold No, not Messner

Oddometer:
    You have a good point. Just found this device in an article in a buddies BMW magazine.
    http://www.hypershop.com/category-s/133.htm
  8. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may be very old-fashioned by now, but I have an Epson P4000 photo storage unit (with 80GB hard-drive storage), and it has CF and SF card slots built inside (which happen to be exactly the type of cards that my DSLR and pocket camera use, so I don´t need any adapters). ​

Biggest upside to this device is, that I can back up all my photos without a laptop (or access to any computer or net-cafe actually). And it has a big and sharp screen, that even allows to check, if pic is on focus, or not. Also nice to sometimes go through the photos in the evening, or show them to somebody, that screen is small but still it´s way bigger than my DSLR´s screen.​

Downsides: copying is quite slow, and drains the battery easily, and it cost a lot more than an external hard drive of similar size. Unfortunately it is also a tiny bit too big and heavy to carry in your pocket.​

(But I think I bought it in 2006, so nowadays there may be – or I should probably say there SHOULD be – a lot smarter, smaller, and cheaper devices of this kind available... I haven´t followed their development, but using SSD drive technology on these would make a lot of sense for travel use IMO).​
  9. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    That is a pretty cool device. To lighten my load I might consider that for future trips. I love my macbook pro as I am trying to make videos, but that is awesome, compact, and a lot of capacity. I also have a 1T HD with me as back up. Works, but that's a slick unit!:clap
  10. Reinhold

Reinhold No, not Messner

Oddometer:
    The article I read recommended getting the one that does not include the hard drive. Stated that hard drives are very cheap and easy to install by someone that knows dick all about computers. Like myself.........
  11. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one and installed a 1 TB hard drive....just make sure it is a laptop hard drive.

Also, don't move the device while the hard drive is accessing your card

You can clear the card of your daily photo grab and have it ready.

Each day's photos can be in their own file

Got the hard drive from Amazon.com
  12. Luckies_AUT

Luckies_AUT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've used an Acer Iconia A501 Tablet for saving pictures and video clips (and was online with WLAN). It has a card reader (microSD) and 2xUSB (I connected an external HDD for backup). Almost perfect, with one exception: it needs a power supply. Maybe the actual version can load over USB
  13. Ducati7444

Ducati7444 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 since at least 2-3 years. It has a build in card reader and 150GB hard drive. I did install Garmin Topo US100k maps on it like that i can upload to my Garmin Etrex GPS 100K map on the area I will be driving that day. Also installed a bigger lithium battery that is good for 4-5H00 per charges depending of usage. It is also more convenient to check emails and post on blogs....

Cheaper than a tablet too and screen is naturally protected when closed.
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-mini1012/pd.

For internet connection, I use a MyFi (from my job) then, as long as I have an ATT network, i have internet, therefore, not very often, and I like that. (sorry boss...no connection...:) you should call ATT....
  14. WimDH

WimDH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would buy a small netbook with a solid state disk.
    Copy the pictures onto it, and when You have internet connectivity (hotel,...),
    you can upload them to a dropbox account (or something similar).

If you take "*a lot* of pictures, you can buy an external drive.

One small remark: traveling by motorcycle can be rough, and hard drives are not very shock proof :-)
    If you use a solid state disk, it will last longer.
    I also prefer to upload the pics to dropbox, because if your laptop or harddrive fails, you might lose all your stuff... and who's going to believe you when you talk about all the nice girls you met :evil

Cheers!
  15. TRUBRIT

TRUBRIT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Net Book and a 1T Passport Ext Drive. Off to CO and other parts West in July and will give them a good test.:D
  16. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    One cheap, light, and very safe method for storing while on a trip, is the SD cards themselves. Get a as many 8, 16 or 32 gig cards as you need. They also have a lock feature usually so can't accidentally erase them. No need for a computer or tablet unless you want to carry one. If you do carry one get one that burns DVD's.

SD cards are not redundant but they are VERY secure.
  17. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cheapest and easiest solution is to just pick up an Eye-Fi card. Once paired with your camera, your smartphone can download all of the images into its internal memory.
  18. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Bulk back up.... think Gbytes.

When half your cards are near full (or more frequently) ... find an internet shop and copy (make certain they don't delete them) the photos to CD/DVDs and post them home. Once they reach home and someone confirms they are OK (and copies them on to a large hard drive) then delete the files from the cards.

Principle - should be two files of the same thing in existence at once.

Card failures happen. At the end of each day swap the card in use for yesterdays card. This way you won't loose ALL or Alaska/Kenya etc.. only half of it.
  19. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    I have a netbook which I use to download my camera at the end of every day but because I was gone for 8 months I backed up the netbook onto 2 usb sticks so I had 3 copies. When I finished the outbound part of the trip I sent 1 usb stick home for safety. This is called belts and suspenders but I never thought it was overkill.

The one thing I would urge people to do is empty the camera every day, the one and only time I went 3 days without doing it I lost my camera and all the pictures that were on it and that was toward the end of the trip :cry
  20. fafaforza

fafaforza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A netbook is probably a good idea since you'll probably need some sort of a device with you to go online, etc. Getting pics onto an iPad is easy - it even opens Nikon's RAW format, but getting them out is unnecessarily complicated.

Another option is something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_OVER_ALL_RATE|1&ci=3369&N=4083163867&srtclk=sort

It seems that you get what you pay for with these.

There are also devices that connect to an iPod, mount it as a hard drive, and copy pictures there. One such device was

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2003/10/18/belkinipodadapt

But seems these eat up the iPod batteries. It might be worth investigating further, something must have been released since 2003.

I have an iPad and it's too heavy for reading on the subway. Thinking of selling it and buying something like a ThinkPad X200 instead. Built in SD card reader and more than enough disk space.