Thor Boots...Q.C. issues?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rivercreep, Mar 6, 2012.

1. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Looking into getting yet another replacement set of strap/buckles for my Thor 50/50 Boots and as I've noticed they're the same buckles/straps used on their Quadrant series, I was wondering if anyone else here has been having the same problem as I am with the rubber straps breaking where the locking ridges are.
    My first pair of boots lasted almost 2 yrs before I needed to replace parts. When I did, the newer replacement straps broke within 2 months.
    This second pair of boots that look almost new, have had their straps break within a 2 month period.
    Looks to me as if the products plastic/rubber ratio has changed to a more brittle composite thats prone to failure.

I post this here due to having not heard back fom Thor for almost a week now, so that others may also be aware of potential issues with the pruduct.
    I'll replace these straps on my dime but, they break again, they're (the boots) going into the trash despite looking almost new. (I can't imagine what would happen if I were tumbling down the road since they are breaking upon fastening the damn buckles)
    Anyone else experience any problems?:ear

Ps. I don't consider telling what's going on factually with a product to be "bashing" either so...don't go there.
    Thor has had a week to respond, they have not so, here I am.

I'm also wondering if any of you guys might be aware of replacement buckles that will fit these boots, that aren't made by Thor. (love the boots but, the buckles SUCK!)
  2. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    No one else has issues...Hmmmn?:huh
  3. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Quadrant boots... only issue i've had with the buckles is after 3 years of abuse. :dunno

Overall they're good boots for the price IMO.
  4. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.
    Yeah, my first pair was great! and the buckles lasted for almost 2 yrs. before I had to start replacing them.
    Then I noticed that these new buckles didn't hold up as well and finally the old boots wore out so, I got another pair.
    Now it seems, the new boots have a slightly different construction (judging from the foot-bed interior) and the new straps don't hold up for shit.They break at the serrated/locking area.

I'd give anything to find some N.O.S. replacement straps/buckles that aren't made out of what appears to be, a less flexible rubber/plastic composition. (the old straps/buckles lasted)

As you replace the old buckles, please let us/me know how they hold up.
    I ride daily as a commuter so, my boots see lots of use but, I.M.H.O. straps/buckles should still last more than 2 months.:cry
  5. fuelish

fuelish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had two straps break on my 50/50s. One was my fault one just broke when tightening it. The replacements have been hard to get. Otherwise the boots have proven decent over 4000 miles.
  6. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Guys who have had problems....please let Thor know about it here.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/ThorMXOfficial

I've already started a thread there and at first, they sorta blew me off. (and still haven't responded to my e-mail)
    They need to be made aware that this could be a safety issue by more than just one person.
    Thanks!
  7. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I had an issue with boots and knee guards, an email to them was replied to with a request for my address... had parts the next day. :dunno

Certainly took care of me well.
  8. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    I sure wish I could say that.
    Always liked their products but, I'm in no way happy with them right now.:kboom
  9. P@vlos.B

P@vlos.B Stuck in an Island

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    I have the Thor Quadrant Mx boots and I am having another kind of issue..
    None has broke but the straps are very hard to lock to the buckles, and they unlock all the time during riding..
    It is a nightmare..I have to stop and re lock them at least 20 times..
    I have them four years now, but they did it from the first day..
    I have tried various adjustments, tight, loose, but they always come open..
    Do you know where can one buy a replacement kit?Buckles and straps.
    But I would be more interested in buying a non Thor replacement kit, as you said.
    If you find out something that can fit, please let me know!
  10. xcuzzi

xcuzzi n00b

Oddometer:
    My boots are maybe a year old and I had a strap break for no apparent reason. I found replacements online for $3. The shipping was $6 so I bought two straps (my boots use the short and medium length).

Another strap broke right in the middle of my trip to Death Valley. These boots do not get that much use/abuse so I was kinda disappointed. I am hoping the replacements are improved but they look no different. I hope for a different material. I don't think a strap breaking while tightening is abuse. From my experience with these boots if you buckle them that tight your feet will go numb!

I really like the boot and wear them on trips during and after riding. With limited cargo space it's kinda hard to justify two pairs of shoes. I bring a pair of flip flops along also.

I will go to the above mentioned website and register a comment. Good Luck!
  11. NaeKid

NaeKid Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread.

As I was takin' my boots off after my ride today I noticed that one buckle was snapped, just like you described. I have had my boots for about 1 1/2 seasons of riding, thought they were great till now ...

I found that motorcycle superstore carries the buckles ( as of this writing, $4 per strap / buckle :eek1 ) ... if this is an issue is that is becomming more known, I would hope that Thor would come out with a better material for use in the straps ... maybe a cable-strap would be a better choice (kind of like the old downhill ski-boots).

Anyway, I'll get straps on order for my boots as I need to ride with them instead of wearing running-shoes.
  12. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've worn Thor Quadrant MX boots since 2005 and haven't had a single problem. They took awhile to break in, but I love them. Only potential 'issue' I have had is when I first put them on, sometimes, the second strap from the bottom doubles back on itself and presses hard against the top of the leather above my foot. I straighten the strap out and have no other problems. I can see where, if you let the strap double back and wear the boots like that, the strap could break where it is doubled-back on itself.

I'd definitely by another pair. For me, good quality, good price, long life.
  13. Water9119dog

Water9119dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a size 2 strap break on my 50 50 boot.
    Seem Thor is discontinuing the style of straps so is hard to find the right size and colour to match.
    I bought size #4 strap and cut them to length to match the size #2 strap. I also bought extra as spares since the boots are still fairly new. Get them while you can.
  14. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 50/50 boot buckle broke after 4 years of hard use. I will see how my new ones compare. One thing I noticed is the box toe does not appear as strong.
  15. fuelish

fuelish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could not find straps to replace my broken ones and used a couple of screws and an aluminum strap to fix them. Tjis has lasted several thousand miles.
    [​IMG]
  16. 38super

38super n00b

Oddometer:
    Over 5 years, 3 buckles have died. Ordered 6 from MC Superstore, gave 2 to a friend with the same boot. There's one original buckle left.
  17. furboo

furboo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread...

I've had my boots for 18 months. After the first buckle broke after about 6 months, I bought 4 buckles, so I had 3 spares. I just used my last spare, and now I can't find store with the #2 size in stock. :cry
  18. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My son is 15 years old and is on his 4th pair of 50/50s. He has only broke one buckle on the first 3 pairs with hard use and has already broke both the top buckles and one lower buckle on his new boots in less the 20 times of using them. Both top buckles broke the same day. Looks like thor has a problem with the buckles on the new boots.
  19. Water9119dog

Water9119dog Adventurer

Oddometer:

I found some #4 buckles and just cut them to the same length as the #2. It works.
  20. NaeKid

NaeKid Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer:
    I was able to get a local store (Pro Am Cycle in Calgary) to order me a set of #2 and #3 buckles for my 50/50 boots. I also ordered a full set of buckles from MotorCycle SuperStore and they only shipped me the #3 buckles and they have my #2 buckles on back-order.

I am good (for now) - wish I had seen the picture that fuelish posted before I lost my pretty red aluminum buckle ... now I am all silver buckles instead of the red ... :cry