My next evil project.....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Apr 20, 2012.

1. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    :rofl I think everyone is hanging on your every word. You write excellent cliffhangers. Are you sure you can't take it with you and finish the report in Las Vegas? :evil

Anyway I'll be here waiting for the next installment.

- David
  2. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    BTW what tires do you have on the rear wheel? - David
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:D..... Thanks.... Let's see how far I get tomorrow......:D

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the 18 inch K-60 Scout...... which has a little different pattern than it's 17 inch counterpart. Most noticeable is the center stripe which is about 50% of the size on the 17 inch.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    End cap was sanded today. I did the same 4 layers along the flange....then fitted the cap to the shell....by slowly removing material. I also laid one full layer from the inside...Just in case the crazy angle sanding would go through the outer 4. As you can see... there are a few indentations. With a one piece 12x12 inch sheet of fabric....It is impossible not to overstress the fabric, in the corners...creating trapped voids. It is nature of the beast...unless you have a two sided mold with vacuum hookup.. I will gladly trade this, and accept these small....ummmm... unique traits...:D. If you want you can get rid of them by brushing a thin layer of epoxy on...let cure...sand...do it again...until they are gone..... They will become a less of an irritant...once it recieves it's final coat...and then uv clear coat. I like the shape though.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is as far as I go...until I get home again on Friday. Next is the exit pipe.......and it wont be round.....:evil:D:freaky:clap:thumb:thumb

Erling
  6. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    There you go, off with a grin and a giggle while your faithful readers fret and stew about the next step in the build. What a heartless bastard. :rofl

On a more serious note, its looking very sharp, if you plan on making more copies I'm sure you'll have some takers.

-David
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:lol3.....Ha-ha....I'm actually waiting on the packing.....so it would most likely be week-end before It'l run....at the earliest. When I do... there will be full video of the run...and SAE test's with the LV-one as control....or the one to beat... It would be impossible to mass produce it like the inerts are ( CF).... no fool would pay the labor it would take to make it. But with someone fabbing up the pipe in SS.... and I made a mold of the inlet....exit caps....and shell and hanger... Perhaps..... As far as efficiancy..... If it performs like the last one I did on my BB thumper.... It will be awesome..... :thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soooooooo..... What exit pipe shape would you like to see?????? I have three shapes in mind......But would like to hear what you think. Bear in mind 200mm is the circumference..... that is 10mm larger than the inner diameter of the core......and it is a big pipe ( outer shell) necked down drastically......Would like to see if any of you shares my.....ummmmm.... likes.... :ear:evil

Erling
  9. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good :)
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  11. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    It looks tough to mass produce. But you seem to be having fun, which is all that matters. It will be nice to hear the results when it is done, whether one week or six.

Fly safe, break a leg, or whatever you pilots tell each other.

-David
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D.... Break a wing...or so....:freakyAfter 1800 miles of thunderstorm bashing..... I'm enjoying a relaxing night at the res. in ...in Vegas...Your right...... It is a blast to make these things..... Mostly...to see not if... but what it would take to do this. When people remind me of the enormous time constraint..... I remind them that...( inthis case).... I just designed, and produced a muffler from ground up....in a matter of .....hmmmmm.... about....60 hrs to date..... not bad. I don't know what the going r/d is for a new muffler..... But ... I'm sure I can compete.... and as you correctly acknowledged David..... I' having a blast at it. I think that there is a way to achieve the perfect pipe......with great sound.... Read low....and enjoy the benefits of an open system. Of course...this is only the first step.....as perhaps...headers.....PC-5, with AT..... etc....would be great later added on.:thumb:thumb

Erling
  13. rediRrakaD

rediRrakaD Whoopdie do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tip shape suggestion...
    Dodecagon:wink:
    Fun to follow these builds of yours. We really do get the sense you're having a blast!
    S.
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man.....I had to look up that word.....:lol3... I think it would be very hard to get all those angles correct, as they would be sanded into shape........I know I would mess that up......:D

Erling
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got a phone call from my wife that the packing from MRD Racing came in..... awesome.....as perhaps this weekend.....or if I get delayed....this early next week should yield a first run....... Whoooeeeeee...:thumb:thumb

Erling
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright... Back at it for only one hr.... then MD tomorrow.... fraid it will be Monday before I get going again. Should run at or about Wednesday..... Centered the core in the shell......with the aid of a foam plug....
    [​IMG]

Then after much thinking...... and many sleepless nights.... I finally settled on this exit. I had these in mind...: dual exit holes... I really wanted this one....but were afraid what it would do to performance. I did not want to risk it, and have to make a new end cap. Same shape as the cone..... looked funny when I drew it.... then finally this one.... It won..... Sort of like a diamond Cross.....
    Scribed with a scalpel...
    [​IMG]

Then cut caaaarrreeeefully with a Dremel.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry folks....that's all until Monday.... Now go buy some flowers for your Mother....or wife...or both....:freaky:clap
    Until then....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  17. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D yea i wouldn't have tough you would go for that shape :)
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D...... It would have been tough to make...looking good that is....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Making the exit pipe was a pain in the a$$..... It took me 3 hours....and about 7 tries. I had to turn my noggin into a cnc machine..... good grief.....trying to make a round foam pipe 4 sided....and have it fir inside the exit cap....mating to the core.....grrrrrrr..... Anyway... Got it.....
    [​IMG]

Then CF tape, which does not confirm as well as the fabric sheets itself... But you can tug on it....... 3 layers....and the mechanical outer mold in place.....:D:lol3... ( read electrical tape)
    [​IMG]

Erling
  20. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :) yea that would be hard shape

i have some expierence in low poly 3d modeling ( for games :p )