The BMW HP2 Megamoto thread.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Joe Bar, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Macroenie

Macroenie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The lcd alone will not work, you will need the cable and switch to operate it.
    But...the most important thing is that you will need something to align the different mounting holes when you remove the old dash. See my pics here
    Maybe you can drill corresponding holes in the standard mounting plate but then you will also need to enlarge the gap for the connector because the lcd got two connectors on the back.

So look for either a set that has it all or be prepared to do some modifications. Good luck.
  2. Spacematic

Spacematic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello! Thanks very much for your message and informations!
    I checked your pictures and I really like the way you fit the dash on your bike!:clap
    To be honest, I am more concerned about the electrical side of the modification: where and how did you get hold of the cable to connect the dash?
    You talk about a switch to operate it: what is it exactly?
    Also I read somewhere that you need to go to the dealer to get the dash programmed, is that corrct?
    Sorry for the large amount of questions, but I would like to be aware of everything I would need to do before taking a decision!:evil:evil:evil
    Cheers mate!:freaky
  3. Macroenie

Oddometer:
    This 2D dash is a normal retro-fit product for various bmw models like k1300r.
    I bought the whole package from a member here on advrider so all was included.
    Switch and cables can be bought from BMW, it plugs straight in so its easy swapping.

[​IMG]

The only 'problem' is to get the correct mileage on the dash, this can only be done at a BMW dealer.
    I have yet to go and let them sync it, now it is blinking because the mileage on dash is a little lower than what I have on the bike. It does count up though, but it blinks. Also in my case the abs light is on because it came from an abs fitted megamoto. I just covered it with a little black piece of tape :D
  4. Spacematic

Spacematic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mate, thanks a lot for your message.I am a bit worried for the cable and the switch.
    I mean: does every bike comes with the same main cable and from there there is an "add-on" cable that can be used for all the models?
    My worries is to not be able to interface my cable (once removed the original dash) with the 2D dash:huh
    This is because here in Italy, whenever you go to a dealer and ask for something "unusual", they just scroll their shoulder and say: "No mate, you can't do it":deal!
    ...but I really like the look of the HPS dash! :freaky
  5. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely gonna be some cornering issues there! :lol3
  6. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another guy did it also in Portugal.
    I think that dealers are now more aware of all the electronic settings than at the time when the HP2s were built.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13957255&postcount=1418
  7. Macroenie

Oddometer:
    No problem, just trying to help.

If you are able to get hold of the cables (check link below) its just a matter of following the instructions on the cd that comes with it. Remove headlight fairing to gain access to the wiring/connectors, disconnect current connector from dash, remove dash, connect then new wiring and install dash and switch. Test if dash works. Reinstall headlight fairing. Go for a ride. :clap

I searched and found this for you, below the diagram are the partnumbers, scroll all the way down as the switch is part 7 mentioned below the infra-red stuff (parts 5&6) which you probably don't need.

If you are going to install it, will you get a new unit? If new then you might need to go to BMW dealer to pair it to your bike so all the functions will work via the switch. If they (Italian BMW) cannot help you then just ride to Germany and get it done there :lol3
  8. Macroenie

Oddometer:
    Guess where my unit came from....:lol3
  9. Macroenie

Oddometer:
    Funny people those Germans

<object height="315" width="560">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uho8Brs5PIg?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="560"></object>
  10. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont know if I would have made a hack out of a MegaMoto, but he did a hell of a job! Would love to see more pics though.

The "motorrad" only made a limited number of MM's, so it is, no doubt, a rare bike. That being said, it baffles me that MM owners would alter the bike at all- be it the dash or a sidecar!
    I, too thought of replacing the ugly (IMO), headlight assembly with two led projector lights and fabbing a new faring, but I think it would deter the value of this rare bike...
    seasider likes this.
  11. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I agree. The only mod I've done is add a small windscreen. I do plan on installing a carbon hugger over the rear tire.
  12. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, the less mods the better. I have the carbon hugger, and have taken most of the crap off this bike to make it more original.:clap As for that sidecar, that guy should be sent to see a shrink.:rofl
  13. Macroenie

Oddometer:
    why would those mods not apply to the statement you guys agree to? You put on a screen because you thought it will make the bike better for your use and you want to add the carbon hugger because its functional and looks cool.
    I have no screen nor the hugger, I added some other bits and pieces :D
    So what is wrong with altering/customising your ride? It is part of the pleasure of owning a motorcycle (or any other object for that matter, hell I even customise myself :lol3).
    Is it any different than placing a new kitchen or bathroom in your house or do you keep that original as well which also means no furniture in your stock house because than it won't be original anymore :rofl
  14. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you're missing the point:deal:lol3
  15. Macroenie

Oddometer:
    please do explain :ear
  16. Spacematic

Spacematic Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. Spacematic

Spacematic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
    A ride to Germany could be an option, but not in this weather!:rilla
    Anyway, thanks a lot for the informations!
    I am trying to get a second hand unit, so probably I will not have the CD rom with it.
    Just a last question, if you can hel: is that cable the link between the original MM wiring and the dash?:wink:
  18. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    To put a screen or hugger on, or change the clocks I can understand, as all these bits can be taken off and the bike put back to standard relatively easily. But I cannot understand why on earth someone would turn such a rare and exotic bike such as a MegaMoto into a rig. There are plenty of bikes out there far better suited to run a sidecar, such as a 12GS, but a MM.:eek1 You'd have to be CRAZY to do that.:rofl
  19. Macroenie

Oddometer:
    ah, yes, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

I agree, most of my mods can be removed which will leave you with a 'standard' 1250cc HP2.
    I keep all the bits for when the day will come that I would consider selling it. Finding them again or having to buy them new can be quite a task.

A sidecar is a mod I will never consider, I'd rather buy a nice cage then.
  20. Spacematic

Spacematic Adventurer

Oddometer: