Where do you hide your cash?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by InDenial, Nov 30, 2012.

1. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    The guys that say to use your plastic are absolutely right. When traveling outside of the USA I make sure that I have two accounts and multiple cards, just in case. I have seen accounts get shut off because the computer detected "abnormal" traveling so it's nice to have a backup.

I used to carry travelers checks but after a bad experience with AMEX in Mexico I gave up on that.

Stash your cash in at least 3 places - wallet, bike, and luggage. Keep plastic and some cash on your person in case you get separated from your bike.

Money belts work. So do wallets on a strap around your neck. That is where I usually carry my passport and extra ID and some cash.

Good luck!
  2. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Notify your bank you are leaving the country :deal
  3. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I usually keep it in two places, one in a more obvious pocket and one more hidden but always on me or in a hotel safe. The bike is not secure enough, but I do tend to keep an emergency stash of 50-100 euro under the seat, on the principle that I am normally close e ough to home to be able to get home with this much gas money in the event of total robbery.

The key to my philosophy is that the first wallet should have small bills and maybe one card in it. Like the other guy that travelled to drc, I have spent time in Africa and this is a good strategy. This way if they rob you, you give them a plausible looking wallet with a card. They are in a hurry so leave with it, and the lions share of the money remains with me. All of my colleagues in the foreign travel business eschew the money belt for this strategy, simply because thieves always know about money belts...it's pretty cliche really so it's not a safe bet.

I have never actually been robbed seriously, except having been mugged in Paris when in college, but there the hotel safe strategy meant I was only out 20 dollars and a cheap wallet. But I have had people try to mess with the bike, and have come back to see things just slightly disturbed. Thus I wouldn't leave anything of value on the bike in a risk area
  4. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I always remember a movie where a working girl drugs and robs a guy. The very first thing that she does is to whip his belt off to see if it's a money belt.

With that said, I wear one daily. It's pretty hard to pick pocket a money belt unless you have your pants down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  5. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're going to Alaska.... Via Canada... I don't see why you need to hide cash anywhere. You know there are ATMs all over the place. And Canada isn't exactly a 3rd world gang infested dump like a big chunk of South America.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

But for other places, you want to spread you cash around. Hide it in many places. Same with important documents and copies of important documents. You don't want to be reliant on any one stash and screwed if you lose that one stash.
  6. Top Bloke

Top Bloke Porky Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

In the jail purse.

Don't you know about foreign police? They take you up a hill, beat you up and then they bum you!

Yeah. and if they don't kill you, you kill yourself because of the shame of you getting a boner whilst you was being bummed!
  7. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An American idea.
  8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Over the years we have had one or two good ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  9. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I give it to my daughter, that way when someone robs me at least I know where they live.
  10. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I don't hide cash. I don't flaunt it, either. Big bills in a different pocket.

Hide a credit card, your passport and bike key, maybe a couple of bills.

If you get mugged give them your cash. If you only have change they may beat the hell out of you for spite.
    A hundred or even two is better than a beating.

I know a guy who resisted and was laid up for a month. He had 40 bucks in his wallet.
  11. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    +100 on this...
  12. Scott_F

Scott_F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In case of emergency, I keep $1000 cash in a zip baggie, folded and taped black on black under the seat. The baggie also has a slip of paper with all my credit card numbers recorded, as well as a bank card to a different account.

Normally, my wife and I use one credit card for gas, meals and accommodation. The only other credit card we carry is under the seat. We carry a minimum of cash, maybe $300 between us. So far we've never been hassled, touch wood.

There was only one time when I had to go into my stash. We were in Eastern Oregon and the regulator in my scooter blew up, taking the stator with it, as well as the $1000 under the seat.

HTH
    Scott Fraser
    Calgary
  13. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^
    Important safety tip... Don't store cash next to things that go boom or Burn...:deal
  14. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Gordo tonto y contento.

Oddometer:
    San Diego, not Mex, but I can smell it from here.
    Air box

tool roll

under bar pad on enduros

under seat

under liner in top box

Back of headlight mask

In shave kit

Under boot insoles

In the pockets that hold your armor pads

there are a zillion little places to stash a couple bucks.

Lucky i checked all the pockets in a tank bag I just sold.
    There was a $100 in there from a trip 3 years ago! :lol3
  15. InDenial

InDenial Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks for all the good tips. I ended up keeping $200-$300 in my billfold and the rest in my jacket inside pocket. I had it divided between American and Canadian. It worked well, didn't think twice about it. And was never in a situation that I had to worry about. But I never let my jacket out of my sight.
    I get a lot more nervous on business trips to Chicago than on my bike in Canada/Alaska.
  16. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    I roll mine up and put it in the hole in the middle of my frame sliders. I then plug the hole with a plastic plug from Hone depot.
  17. old fart bob

old fart bob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since I started riding over 50 years ago I kept a $5 bill and a spare key taped inside my headlight bucket. Today my vintage BMW, all my Triumphs, my BSA and a couple of my other old bikes I now have all have large headlight buckets. Today it's 2 $20 bills, spare credit card and a spare key. Some of you old farts remember when gas was twenty five cents a gallon? That's why I only kept $5 there back then. A dollars worth of gas you could ride all day. Anyway, inside my riding pants I had a small zippered pocket sewn that holds money and credit cards. ATGATT!
  18. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy "Round up the usual suspects"

Oddometer:
    Works well for us also.

Hi Test Gasoline at $.18 made the 68 L88 Corvette run like a scared rabbit.

LOL
  19. Xylx

Xylx Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Honda NC700X. I can hide money in the frunk or under the pillion which opens with a key for gas. I put a couple hundred in the frunk (the trunk which looks like a gas tank but isn't).

You don't need to worry about being robbed in AK. However, the petty thieves in Anchorage are horrible. I lived there for 6 years. They would steal anything not nailed down. I've had friends with broken car windows over a couple of quarters in the cup holder. One friend gave up, she took out the radio and everything of value and left her car open all the time. Saved on broken windows. Campgrounds on the Kenai Peninsula are notorious for petty theft as is Carcross in the Yukon.

Shut the frunk up and ride.
  20. charlesernst

charlesernst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in Mexico, but this works well here. I split my cash, usually get $400 at a time from an ATM, keep change and small bills in one pocket, the bulk of bigger bills in my wallet. THIS IS KEY: I keep my debit card in a third hidden pocket in my jacket. My jacket goes everywhere with me. I usually pay for stuff with small bills, but can pay for bigger expenses such as hotels out of wallet. If I lost one pack or the other, I can start all over again with the Debit card. This way you are flashing a minimum of $$$ at any time and the only time I flash the Debit card is at the ATM machine.