Don't Overlook the GasGas Eco

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motobene, Oct 14, 2013.

1. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years

Oddometer:
    Not you, Gordy! Honest opinions, yes, always!
  2. Scubatoe

Scubatoe Retired trained monkey

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the pair I picked up last week from Motoventures. I had to put a sticker on the number plate just to be able to tell which one was mine without having to check the VIN.

Had a couple rides so far on some good rocky, steppy slopes close to the house. Amazing how much my confidence has come up for climbs and descents since I've had a chance to develop some control feel. Still a little intimidated by individual rocks of any appreciable size, though...

Its an awesome bike, but then again the only other trials bike I've ridden was a 2006 (i think) TXT rental in a class from MV.

Now i just wish i had a backyard of any size to put together something like a few of you have laid out in yours.
  3. Stalspeed

Stalspeed PullnG'sTillTheyPuke

Oddometer:
    So I've been through this thread a few times already and the whole Trials forum for the past 1.5 - 2 years and am finally ready to plunk down the money on a new bike. Was looking at the Beta 300ss for sale on here and then some Sherco's on other sites, but after talking to Adrian at Lewissport he said that Sherco's were bottom of the barrel in quality compared to a close second with Beta and Gasgas being the best in quality and parts availability. He then continued to say that the best bang for the buck is the '13 GG Eco right now. Everything I've read is that you should be able to get the best bike you can afford, but saving $1500 would be nice between the 300ss and a new GG Eco. I guess my question is, will I be disappointed with the Eco down the road once things start falling into place and I get better? I've ridden an '03 GG 280 in my friends backyard setup and have ridden dirt bikes/street bikes for a long time with enduros/supermoto racing mixed in. I'm guessing I won't be disappointed, but if the only thing different (so to say) is the forks/shocks from the other models, those could be upgraded and I'd basically have a GG Pro with some minor differences, right? Just trying to make the right decision from the start. Plan on joining a club which is a few hours away and eventually doing some competitions to improve, but that's down the road and my riding will primarily be at a local riding area and backyard set-ups. Words of advice...?
  4. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right now there are some good buys on the used market. If you know you like GG's - then you may want to see if you can get the price down alittle bit on this bike on the jackscycles website - posted this weekend.(2013 300 race)

http://www.jackscycles.com/used.html

I saw this bike at our last event and its in excellent shape and setup by a meticulous rider who has the bike working perfectly. In fact he said its the best bike hes ever had (and he wasnt trying to sell me the bike) and was worried his next one wont be as good.

It may be too soon to hammer alot off the price, but I think this bike is easily worth $500 over a new Eco IMHO.
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    that's a good post, Bob.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I must of been too honest and did not knock anyone down doing it! By the way John, Gallup is on again for next spring. Can you say 2 day!:D:evil:clap
  8. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    I'll see you before then, Lord willin. But sure, two days good!
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    What time next spring? I have family down near Gallup and have been thinking of heading out there for a visit... not sure if I could make the ride on that weekend but if I am out there wouldn't mind trying to make it out for a ride and meet some of the forum members. :D
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It`s not on a schedule yet. I would bet the 1st weekend in April.
  11. Mr. BigWheel

Mr. BigWheel b00b

Oddometer:
    I'm not trying to sell you a bike either, but I would like to dispel the myth that the Econo is a pile.

In my circumstance, I would have to travel 1,500 miles to Seattle to take a look at a used bike. That made a new bike that could be delivered to Anchorage in a crate (without any chance of a questionable history) very attractive.

I'm not a 100% trials newbie, having a Scorpa for 5 years prior to the purchase of the GG280. The 280 is considerably better than the Scorpa Easy, but I feel that the Scorpa was not holding me back. Like any other genre, it is 90% rider and 10% bike.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I believe that Adam Raga could ride my '99 Scorpa and kick the butts of 99.9% of all riders on their modern trials bikes. At the same time, most of the serious guys on this forum could kick my butt while riding a TY350 vs. me on my Econo.

If there is a value to getting a new bike as opposed to having to sift through the small market of used trials bikes, hoping to find one of the bargains, then the Econo is a viable option.

The 280 has turned into the bike that I ride nearly every day. I don't worry about parts availability like I do on the Scorpa and don't even remotely feel limited by it's performance.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
  12. motobene

Oddometer:
    Dale had a couple of new Ecos for sale for under $5k. I think they were 250 and 280.

That 2013 300 Race Stu has at Jackscycles is super clean! Only another $1,500 more and that does fall into line with buy the best bike you can afford. If you can afford it, you are better off.

Talked with Stu a while back. When I mentioned my fondness for my Econo, he piped in to say he also has a 2010 Econo, and it has proven to be very solid. He said the thing rides and runs super smooth and never, ever gives him any problems.

Last weekend I rode a 2012 Sherco 290. Very nice, neutral handling, very fun, gusty and quick motor. I offered to swap the rider for my 2011 rebuilt 300 Raga. He just stood there holding it up. I had to prod him several times and of course warn him the rear brake was on the left side. He finally rode it around. I saw a pleasant surprise dawn on his face and he stopped and turned to the guy who I bought my bike from, who was riding his `13 GasGas 300 Replica in our PM scoring group, "Have you ridden this thing?"

All the bikes are very close these days. I ride a lot of them and never refuse an offer to do so. I'd be happy on any of them, but the yummy smoothness, plushness, sound, feel, or whatever of the Gassers does add a wee something that's hard to pin down.
  13. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going off the list price Adrian has on the Lewisport site for a ECO. $5749.

I was assuming that Mike would sell his race for say $6250 (just my guess - I have no idea what he will take as it was JUST listed) I would rather have his well sorted 300. (all infant mortality and factory brain fart items taken care of)
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    That confirms my beef that the eco is kiling their used (upper end) bike market.
    That Race looks like a great bike at a great price!
  15. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to clarify that the bike I mentioned is only being advertised (A free option for anyone selling a trials bike) on the jacks-cycles site. Its not a bike Stu is selling from the shop. That said, we both know Mike (the seller) and will tell you he is a real trials guy and very honest. Im sure Stu can help with crating/shipping if needed. (the bike is in NY)
  16. motobene

Oddometer:
    A beef, Gordy, but is there strong evidence? We'd be seeing a bunch more Ecos if true.

Aside form the two Dale had at Peru, I've only personally seen mine and two others. How many Econos/Ecos do you see in NM?
  17. Mr. BigWheel

Mr. BigWheel b00b

Oddometer:
    In my particular case, if I hadn't purchased the Econo, I would have begrudgingly ended up with a new Beta. There is a very small local Beta dealer here.

The cost savings lured me over to the GG despite my preference for the more premium Beta. GasGas made a sale that they otherwise wouldn't have without the Econo model in their lineup. I don't think that any business model supports giving business to the competition to protect the value of the vendor's products on the used market.
  18. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell the guy selling a $6K bike he isnt competing with new ECO's. Given that, I think the used market see extra depreciation. The ECO's used to come out very late in the year. I would always try to get bikes sold before they hit.
  19. Scubatoe

Scubatoe Retired trained monkey

Oddometer:
    So the stationary pad on the front caliper is dragging on my Eco, which appears to have the same 4 piston AJP that is common to many models. Is there adjustability built into the caliper, or is it meant to be shimmed against the fork?
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe it looks like an ajp, but the one`s that I had were not. The is no adjustment and all the piston`s should move freely. You may have to disassemble and clean out any unwanted debris.