Just got a kymco super 9 ac and want t put a top case on

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by kglazer, May 2, 2011.

1. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys im new to the forums and jsut picked up a used 2008 kymco super 9 ac from craigslist. i would like to put a top case on the back so i can store my helemet in their. Does anyone know where i can find one to fit or a diy on a custom install?
    Thanks,
    Kyle
  2. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I have a Givi E35 Traffic (monokey) top case on a Givi E200 base plate. Others will tell you that Givi is way too expensive and go with something else. In my defense, the Givi I'm using now came with another one of my bikes (Honda TransAlp). I had to make a custom rear rack to support it. There are some top cases that are too small to store your helmet. So, know the general dimensions of your helmet if you shop on-line. Most manufacturers will state that a full-face helmet will fit (or not).
  3. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks Bronco638 would you mind putting a picture up when you get a chance of how you mounted it and what the custom rack looks like? please
  4. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put this EMGO top case on my Super 8. I got it from the scooter dealer for $60 although I believe retail is $75. I your scooter has a rear rack and you have a drill then this top case is a no brainer to install. My Fulmer modular helmet just fits.

[​IMG]
  5. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that case looks rlly good. i looked up some reviews and many people said the plastic mounting base plate cracks while riding and the top case falls off. How has yours held up?
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    No problems in 2000 miles. If you don't trust the plastic mounting plate it comes with a couple of metal bars that could be used to reinforce it.
  7. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah thats true. Im gonna order the egmo one hoping it will fit my helemt lol. ill post pictures once its installed
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I don't know how big the rack on your super 9 is but unless it is fairly large, I would use the metal brackets that come with the Emgo to make the mount more sturdy. Then you won't have to worry about it breaking. Another option is to get a metal plate and mount it under the plastic rack.
  9. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah im thinking the the metal sheet underneath is the way to go. this is what the rack looks like. I think i could dril into the rack and run the bolts through the rack if the holes line up. what do you think?

Attached Files:

10. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    heres another picture of the rack itself

Attached Files:

11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I would probably mount a metal plate using the bolts that hold the rack in place, or some longer bolts with the same thread. The plastic mounting plate has a bunch of holes and will be easy to mount to the metal plate.
  12. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thats what i was thinking and to mount it closer to the seat so its not hanging off. klaviator could you take a pic with your helemet in it so i can see the clearance and see if my full face bell will fit in their? please
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I think that the shell on my Fulmer is larger than most since it has an internal sun visor. It barely fits in a Givi E46 top case. The dealer said that normaly 2 full face helmets will fit in the E46. Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks my helmet will def fit then. i dont imagine 2 could fit in there but the more room the better i can put my joe rocket mesh jacket in their as well which is a plus
  15. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    im a little confussed. is the EMGO bigger then the givi e46. and do you have a problem clossing the EMGO with your helmet in? it looks like the top wont close based on the depth of the top half of the case
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The E46 is way bigger than the Emgo but it is wider and longer, not any higher. With a helmet in the Emgo there is not a lot of room left over. The lid barely closes on the helmet but I think that the Fulmer is larger than most helmets. The Fulmer is so big that an E46 will also barely close over it. Of course the Givi is something like four times the price of the Emgo.

A mesh jacket may fit in the box but not along with a helmet. If I want to leave my jacket on the scooter I run a cable through the sleeve and lock it to the scooter.
  17. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys :D

anybody know where i might get a very small topcase? say the size of a two slice toaster or thereabouts?

not much longer, wider, or higher then this, i suppose

[​IMG]
  18. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i cant seem to find the EMGO any where for under $70 plus shipping. Any links would be aprreciated
  19. kglazer

kglazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    where can i find sheet metal would my local home depot or lowes have it?
  20. Mucka

Mucka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 2009 Super 8 150. I put a Givi top case on it. The Givi was a smaller case. The Case came with a mounting plate. It took about 15 minutes to install. Works great. I think the model I bought was a E30N. It was $100.00

Russ