100K WeeStrom Oil Analysis

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by DSM8, Oct 3, 2012.

1. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to share an oil analysis I just got back for my 07 DL650. The bike has just shy of 100K miles on it, engine is bone stock, never been touched other than oil changes and air filters.

The oil is changed every 5K miles though this time it went further than usual. Just thought it might be interesting to other Strom owners.

Still gets 55mpg, used to commute year round in stop and go traffic, two up weekend trips and day time rides in the canyons. I was expecting to see more metal content due to mileage but it wasn't present. I add about 200ml over the course of 5K miles to top off. If that...

Oil Type: Ams Oil Full Syth 15/50 - Been the only oil used in the bike after the 600 mile break-in period with Dyno oil
    Oil Filters: Stock, K&N or WIX when available (Wix is my go to choice, I have cut open all three and they are similar with Wix having the largest number of internal pleats)
    Air Filter: I make my own using a modified WIX air filter glued to the stock air filter body after realizing the cost of stock was ridiculous. This has been my go to solution for the last 60K miles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of oil [edit: just saw that it's Amsoil] ... and filters?

-dman
  3. DSM8

Oddometer:

Ams Oil Full Synthetic 15/50
    I use either stock, K&N or as of late when able WIX
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used Puralator oil filer at $2.50 each.
  5. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I am curious as to how much you paid for your oil analysis and the cost.
  6. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Picking nits...you didn't include the 200ml make up oil in the test.

How does it compare to a test from say, 50,000 miles?
  7. DSM8

Oddometer:
    The cost is 25 bucks plus the cost of shipping it to them, they email back the results.

I sent it on Sat, got the results Wed.

They will send the testing kit to you free, just go on their webpage.

All the info is on the bottom of the oil analysis.
  8. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Actually since I was doing an oil change anyways I did not have to add the 200ml make up oil. I replaced all of it.

Since this was the only test I did the assumption would be if there was wear taking place then it would be reflected in the metal content of the sample.

Since it was practically non-existent the results would have been similar.

What I will do when the time comes to put in the new crate motor I have for the bike is do a sample with the the dyno oil at 3K miles ( which would include the breakin time etc).

Then test again every 25K miles.

That will be interesting to see. I expect to see high metal content due to the break in for the first change, then it should normalize for the remainder till wear starts to take place again.

While the motor is running great I am starting to get more false neutrals since I have worn out the shifting drum inside the transmission. That will be the real demise of this engine.

[​IMG]
  9. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Ahh, ok and now you know you could drop the 200ml in it and run to 7,000 miles.
  10. DSM8

Oddometer:
    True but as the viscosity drops so the the ability to remain stable under shear.

I notice a significant reduction in the shifting performance of the bike even when new as the miles on the oil get over 5K. While not a deal breaker I prefer to change at that interval and I think in doing so the fact I have in effect what is still a like new motor is conducive to maintaining that practice.

Next step will be to perform a leak down test and see how the rings and valves are doing. Considering the valves have not needed adjustment in the last three valve checks I am not too worried.
  11. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    It looks like the eventual DL650 killer is either valve guides or shift drum. That is a very good thing in my book. The motor is solid.
  12. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Yeah I don't know what the tell tale signs of the valve guides going would be beyond an increase in oil consumption. Maybe increase fuel contamination due to blow by from the combustion process, really no clue.

That would be interesting to find out.
  13. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't cost too much to freshen a 100k engine given that. Its not a KTM that shits out every bearing known to mankind.
  14. DSM8

Oddometer:
    I have an 09 SV650 Crate motor sitting in the shop just waiting to go into this bike when I get around to it. When the shifting gets to the point it annoys me more than anything else will be the time I will swap them out.

The drum is an $80 part. So yeah not terrible to fix but I don't feel like putting that kinda time into it when there is a freshee sitting there waiting to be used.

:lol3
  15. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    When my valve guides went it was a dramatic increase in oil consumption, as in all of it in about 1K miles.
  16. GHT

GHT Weeee Rider!!!

Oddometer:
    That's great information, I'm just lovin this Wee more and more!
  17. CvFactor

CvFactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the SV650 crate motor and how much was it?
  18. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Got it from a place here in LA, story is the bike was brand new and got damaged somehow. Was a total write off. Blind luck on my part to get it, I just had to wait 6 months for it to finally clear the insurance crap.

:lol3
  19. RickS

RickS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much did the valve clearance change between adjustments? What interval did u check valves?
  20. DSM8

Oddometer:
    I had them checked at the factory intervals.

600 first, then every req interval after that. It has not needed a valve adjustment till 45K miles and not another one since.