The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Shorty

Shorty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice :thumb
    Congratulations!
  2. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    I second that. So how is the throttle in ROAD mode? On my test ride on a bike without modes, I thought it was overly sensitive and difficult to modulate. I can only assume they would use a middle of the road setting for a bike with no modes...but perhaps not.
  3. Japanviking

Japanviking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thinking was that the adaptable damping would self adjust to a change in spring rate. Not talking about radical changes here, would just be nice to reach the correct sag levels without having the suspension set for rider+luggage.

I wonder if the different ride mode includes separate damping settings beyond the soft,normal and hard settings?
    Would love to find a deeper technical description of this system.
  4. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my plug and it's installed. It really doesn't do much though on the road. I still have stock tires so I haven't even toggled over to enduro pro mode yet to play with it. As for the road, it does save settings (namely the hard or soft settings) over the default setting but it's not really that big of a deal.
  5. maximo de la maximus

maximo de la maximus Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Thanks for the response- I am curious about driving with the epro toggled on with road rubber- just for the fun of it. Though maybe you get a similar same by simply shutting down abs, traction control, selecting dynamic? Just hijinks I suppose... but Saving preferred settings sounds convenient too.
  6. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton. Hay Shorty, this probably a dump question, considering, but is that a low seat?
  7. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I'd say definitely YES, no matter if LED or conventional. During the day a light triangle composed of main headlight plus lower aux lights works well.
  8. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you. At 8 liters in size (8,000 cc or about 25 cm x 20 cm x 16 cm) it should hold a bit more than that. I'm looking to store a liter of water, the other gloves, a wool cap, small binoculars, a compass, a small P&S camera, and other very small misc items. The real camera gear (7D and a X100) live in a tail bag. :D
  9. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, as I stated already I have tried enduro pro yet, but I don't see much benefit on pavement with road rubber. Dynamic mode would be more aggressive on the pavement. The big difference is ABS being shut off to the rear wheel. As for the traction conrol, other than for wheelies, it wouldn't really be kicking in anyway.

The saving the settings is kind of nice, but the reality is it only takes about 2 seconds to switch the suspension settings and to shut off ABS and ASC so unless you prefer them off all the time I don't see a huge benefit there. The only real time I want to kill ASC is when I plan on being a bit of a hooligan. ABS, I really never shut it off on my old GS, and this one kicks in far less than he old model so I doubt I'll even have a reason to shut it off.
  10. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorrad has posted online an article comparing the waterboxer with the 2012 GS, reporting on a side-by-side ride and various performance and static measurements.

Article begins here, with the ride report. For those who do not read German, Google Translate will help.

There is a measurements page here, which includes dyno curves.

A couple of interesting results:

- measured full-tank weights old and new were identical at 246kg (542lbs).

- the new model was quicker in all single-gear roll-on acceleration tests (e.g. 100-140km/h 3.8 sec v 4.2 sec).

- fuel economy was slightly better on the new model (by 0.2L/100km or US 2mpg).
  11. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting...the Google translate is not so great, but I can at least comprehend parts of it and the stats of course. Was surprised that the 0-100km/h speed was only faster than the camhead by 0.1 seconds. During the test ride the bike felt much faster than that, but then again I suspect the massive thrust that is felt is based on some artificial throttle mapping as opposed to a substantial increase in power. The Motorrad test seems to confirm this.
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    What I found more interesting is that the braking distance from 100km/h (62mph) was longer on the new model. Only in Enduro mode it got kind of close. New one is said to be more stable while braking, but needs longer distance.
  13. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, just like the Tenere, Strom, etc. Less freak but a low speed impact at the end. Pros and Cons. Swings and roundabouts. Like to see an update of Motorrads ABS tests with the new gen ABS systems. But you knew that already.

Probably better off road than the older system if the S10 is anything to go by.
  14. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    and despite the larger contact patch of the bigger tires....looks like 9% longer stopping distance on asphalt with sand surface and 2.3% worse on asphalt.
  15. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    A wise statement.

As it should be. I am sure they'll fine-tune it with future software updates though.

BTW love the avatar...

Wouldn't this mess with what the software expects?
  16. fennel

fennel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The metal bar has two bolts at the inner sides of the beak.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD
  17. NLS

Oddometer:
    Very interesting, thank you.
    (btw below you will realize that I don't work for BMW - as some people seem to hate I defend the new model all the time)

Things I find interesting:

- Worse braking performance. Not in a critical level (as you said, where the '12 stops, the '13 makes a low speed bump), but this is a definite NEGATIVE to me. Hope they can improve with software, as (shown by enduro mode) the physical part is definitely able to perform at least same as previous version.

- Reports seem to agree that HP is spot-on and plus (whereas most vendors inc. BMW cheat). Good for people that care in such numbers.

- Speedometer seems to cheat a bit more. Not good. The difference @100Km is the difference I get at top speed.

- Real v-max not impressive. They could do much better. I will say again: 6th should be longer or consumer bike vendors should start thinking about 7th gear (overdrive with slow "pick up" for bikes like GS, "real" for bikes like S1000RR).

- Strange that dynamic mode (hope they indeed tested dynamic mode) can just chop 0.1sec over the last version. I would expect closer to 0.2-0.3.

- Seeing side-by-side photos, new bike indeed shows more fresh.

- The test verifies what everybody seems to fail to understand. New version is about same price. Extras are more. You want them I know, you don't HAVE to get them though.

So to sum up. Motorrad seems to find new GS as a "revolution" over previous.
    Mechanically this is definitely true.
    In practice I would say "evolution" is as far as you can go.

Given the differences and similarities, we definitely have a GS here. The new bike looks cool (way more cool than last), will perform better in real-life (rolling accelleration, ability to turn and follow terrain) both on and off tarmac.
    We definitely already see what can be further improved for first face-lift in 2-3 years. :evil
  18. mkletecka

mkletecka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My only question is this. Does the new WC handle any better through the canyons than the previous AC (I'm talking about fully leaned over, scraping parts/no chicken stripes compared to the previous AC). If none have done this with their new WC's, no need to reply to my question.

BTW, I think the new WC looks great, has a lot of new goodies etc. and for those who got one, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Japanviking

Japanviking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it handles better when ridden aggressively. Turns in quicker and I thought it felt very stable leaned over.
  20. NLS

Oddometer:
    Yes but have you tested and compared the two models THROUGH THE CANYONS? Because else you shouldn't reply. :D