What do you thnk about heidenau k60 Tires

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by aaronc76, May 30, 2013.

1. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the 150.
  2. pavegel

pavegel Adventurer Douche

Oddometer:
    I just turned over 6000 miles on a set of K60's, with another 2-3K left. Put some hard miles on them through gravel, soft sand, arroyos, rock, as well as pavement; great tire in the twisties. My only complaint is I had to return to the shop twice to get it balanced right and it still wasn't that smooth. I'm not sure if I would get them again or opt for some cheapo Pirelli Scorps. Overall I'm pretty happy with them. Not sure why some guys are getting such low mileage; could be riding technique.
  3. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Watch yer hiney in the rain with 'em. I had them on my GSA and almost had the front end slide out, had the bike step out (dramatically I will add) and then had the front wash out offroad in the dry in a 2" deep rut. (At speed - it really hurt :cry ) oh, and the front was as loud as an 18 wheeler tire on the highway.....crazy loud.

I'll never use 'em again. :freaky
  4. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    One note about my front. The shop put it on backward and it worked great. I never changed it because it felt so planted.
  5. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    rear 908d 2200 miles with 500 more to go the go to hard core. 1300+ last weekend 80% road 20% sand some very deep death valley.
    k60 next
  6. jon6.0

jon6.0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1354 miles on my 908RR so far. Only 100 miles offroad. The rest riding slab at 80-85mph.

[​IMG]
  7. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do like them on tar. I can live with the rear (150) off road, but the front is scarey on anything loose. I have an other set of wheels, so I'm going to try a m21 on front to see how that works with the scout rear off road, and save the front scout for long distance rides.
  8. Scott Baja

Scott Baja el semental anaranjado

Oddometer:
    Hey jon6.0.......Is your 908 a 140 or 150?
  9. GJ990

GJ990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2500 miles on my 908RR of which 500 is offroad here in Florida, a mix of soft, thick sand and hard packed dirt roads. Not sure how much I have left but I'm thinking the same? maybe 5000 till it's done? I ride fast but not like a maniac. between 65 and 85 mph on back roads and the highway with a little commuting mixed in.
    [​IMG]
  10. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have about 750 mi on mine and love them, on the twisty pavement or on the dirt...Guess that is why they make so many different shades of Black...
  11. jon6.0

jon6.0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. GJ990

GJ990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't make a 150.
  13. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    This is the exact combo we are running and to be honest I like it, I think the Heidy front tread isn't quite deep enough but we are happy with the rear for what we are using it for which is RTWing so not hard offroad riding or pug.
  14. aaronc76

aaronc76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The TKC80 are great tires!
    However, got them on my previous bike (xt660z) and they worn out after 7-8 K.
    I guess that on the 990 they hold even less.
    Unfortunately, tires are expensive here and I dont want to replace a pair every 6 months.
    If I plan a long off-road trip, I sure will consider them.

Cheers
  15. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On tar the scout rear felt a lot better than the Mefo from new, mefo front is good as scorp.
  16. ktmman1503

ktmman1503 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a few tyres on my 990, had the bike just on two years and have done just on 24,000 kilometres and I am now sticking with the heidenau, not bad traction on sealed road, off road a little average, great life, have now done around 6000k and there is still have at least 3000k left.

I'll buy them again.

Yes.. I also notice a slight front end shimmy at low speed, hands off the bars.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  17. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strange and confusing as I said before, my scorps used to shimmy at low speed, 40 mph or less, the Heidies are fine, even squared off after 6000 miles, go figure.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
  18. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think they are great. On the street, I have touched down the Gobis, so the traction is pretty good. In the sand of Moab, 2 up, they did fine, although not going fast.On the Forest Service roads above Telluride there was no problem. I've got 8500 miles and could get another 1500, but will be replacing them for another trip to Colorado.
  19. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good in the dirt, hard pack, gravel, but not sandy stuff. Did 1,000+ miles, in Death Valley, Sedona, Grand Canyon, last year two up and go some serious bite out of them off road.

No good in mud - but what is on a 500 LB bike.? 908 is best if you want to hit the desert and rip that up - no comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. BigTony

BigTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chiming in with my experience so far..

I just got ~10K miles on my K60 front, with a whole lot of interstate and some twisty and fire road on a crazy coast to coast and back (haven't tried the rear yet). It's got some severe scalloping, but I enjoyed it overall. It is quieter and much better on-road than the mefo super explorer I replaced and with much better wear.

The K60 isn't really an offroad front tire imo but seems fine on gravel roads, etc. The d606 works better offroad, but I can't live with it for daily use.

Anyway, the K60 was good enough I'm going to run another set front and back. However I'd still like to find a magic front knobby that isn't squirrelly on-road.

My offroad set is a d908rr rear and d606 front. Honestly I don't feel like the 140 rear on the stock rim works very well at all if you actually want to go around a corner. The tread is way too flat with no bite on the side and it just feels a bit dangerous to me. Now with a narrower rim, I'm sure it would be fantastic. I still use it off road, but I don't carry much speed through the corners.