The Home Made Bread Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by a1fa, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I can't remember, I'll have to look back a few pages. IIRC, a day in the jar on top of the day it rose with the initial bread (at 80 degree temps?)?

Edit: Ah, seems like I let that jar sit out for a few days: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20057918&postcount=660

Far more interesting was levain's reply post at the top of the next page: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529412&page=45
  2. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Tried a loaf of noknead with smoked paprika added. Didn't change the flavor of the bread, but added a slight orange tint to the crumb.

[​IMG]
  3. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    Tried Tellydoug's recipe last evening. Nice, tasty, but it's not like the bread I used to buy. I guess there are many varieties of Portuguese corn bread :lol3

Cutting this bread is, umm, weird. It's like slicing cheese, not bread- there's no fghting back, although the bread is elastic and has a nice texture. Which makes it weird :D The pic is crappy, but even so one can see the corn meal.

I think I'll keep making this bread given its sweet taste, works great with a cup of some hot beverage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ko
  4. Tellydoug

Tellydoug Troubador of joy

Oddometer:
    It looks like you might want to let it rise a bit longer before baking. Mix it up and knead it, put it in an oiled bowl and let it double, then fold it, put it back in the bowl and let it rise again before forming the boules. This will help get more gluten formation, withouthaving the cornmeal tear the gluten strands by more kneading. I knead it for about 10 minutes total in the beginning, then the one fold, let it double again, then form the boules and allow them to double before going in the oven. A smaller boule may be worth trying also.
  5. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    I did all the folding/etc, I guess I didn't let rise long enough. Is there a more scientific way to figure out when it's doubled? Eye-balled it and it was about there, but it seems it wasn't :cry

Your instructions were to have more boules, but given that I have to get the van for crossing the Labrador I only did 2 pieces, and were kind of big- I guess it rises faster if smaller.

Ko
  6. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Banana bread...

[​IMG]
  7. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I saw Alton Brown use a glass cylindrical jar/bowl and put a rubberband around where the bread was at the start of the rise.

8. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    Good idea- a square/rectangular bowl should do it too. The bowl I use widens to the top.

Ko
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/57423017" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/57423017">Seven Stars Bakery</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/chipriegel">Chip Riegel</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  10. YBViking

YBViking Bedroom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW! Just plain WOW!

I think too few realize how much effort, talent and dedication it takes to put a loaf on the table.
    Thanks Levain for sharing the behind the scenes look. It makes me seriously consider taking a job on the
    Night shift after i retire just to learn more.

Thanks again too for your words of encouragement and tutlage- otherwise
    Mrs Viking would still be calling me the "brick maker" :)
  11. AMCJEEP

AMCJEEP Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That is really cool, and very impressive.

Do you teach classes? or have you thought of doing it? My wife and I are looking to take a bread baking class.
  12. levain

Oddometer:
    I do. I've done them the last few weekends. I used to do them for a local Art School, but that kinda fizzled out.

I've never gotten too serious about it, so its usually pretty loosey goosey. I'd be into putting together a ADV class if there was interest. 6 people max or it gets wonky.

PM if interested.
  13. AMCJEEP

AMCJEEP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  14. Ichthy Rider

Ichthy Rider Fishie

Oddometer:
    I've been making all my own bread for several years now. I know I have a LOT to learn about making bread. It never occurred to me I could learn some of that on ADV...... looks like I have a rather lengthy thread to read from the start! :clap
  15. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    What about those outside RI :eek1 ? :D Online's the way to go :deal

Ko
  16. Ichthy Rider

Ichthy Rider Fishie

Oddometer:
    I am local too...consider me interested.
  17. levain

Oddometer:
    That's great. We'll work something out soon. I'm thinking towards the end of Feb. would be best on my end.
  18. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    Don't think the number of people is a variable in this case... :lol3

Finally was able to watch the video- if I didn't love my job I would consider working there, nice :clap

Ko
  19. Bokrijder

Bokrijder Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer:
    Class/ seminar spot open ? amateur, but not a newb - play pretty much with only flour,water,salt and yeast.
    edit - not looking for a job

Bokrijder
  20. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    How about some love for sweet bread! Quick rising (1hr) because of the warm milk, sugar and yeast. I suck at braiding dough but the bread came out great. Would make great dinner rolls if you went that route.

[​IMG]