11 year old tires - I have survived!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by leftfield6, Oct 10, 2014.

1. leftfield6

leftfield6 That is Mattie in the pic, was the best dog ever Supporter

Oddometer:
    Confession time - I have been a cheap bastard this summer. Back last fall I purchased a 2003 Triumph Speed Four for a winter project. It needed some bodywork due to getting knocked over twice in the PO's garage, and then having a ladder fall on it, also in the PO's garage.

So I spent all winter tweaking and doing all the other stuff you do when bringing a bike out of storage (fluids flushed, etc.) Bodywork, new paint, and it looked great.

I had every intention of replacing the tires when spring rolled around. They were (are) the OEM Bridgestones. And when I say OEM, what I really mean is they are the original tires the bike rolled out of the factory with in 2003. Bike only had 3100 miles on it when I bought it last year . But one thing after another kept getting in the way of new tires, taking up my time or money, or time AND money. So, here we are about 1400 miles later, I still am rolling these 11 year old tires.

I know it was stupid to roll these all summer, but they actually look great. No dryrot, no cracking, and have actually had decent traction. Or maybe I've just gotten used to them. I know even though they look great, the rubber has hardened.

I have ordered a brand new set of Pirelli Angel GTs. UPS says they will be here on Tuesday. I will probably be stunned at the grip.

:lol3
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as you have TC, ABS, airbags, drive by wire and led turn signals while wearing a lime green reflective vest and ATGATTTIMTE (all the gear all the time that I mention to everyone) you were safe enough.

Without all of those you could have died. :1drink
    phughes and Vertical C like this.
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot fuel injection, but you are alive so you must have had that too. :lol3
    phughes likes this.
  4. leftfield6

Oddometer:

Actually, I only had fuel injection. Nothing from your first post. I cheated death. :evil
    phughes likes this.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are the Evil Knievel of the era! :freaky

Lots of guys "won't buy/ride" without all that stuff. Don't know anyone who survived the non nanny bike era.... Oh wait, everyone I know survived it! :lol3
    phughes likes this.
  6. dino1

dino1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pics of speed four not loading.
  7. Danrides

Danrides Traveller

Oddometer:
    The older the rubber the better, it matures and becomes more supple. Don't even bother changing to new tyres mate
  8. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Cool Adjacent.

Oddometer:
    I put a set of 13 year old Pirelli Phantoms I got with a 900 Seca when I resurrected it back in 2000. I proceeded to top-speed test that bike every chance I got. I got 2 summers out of them and never thought twice about it. Looking back, having to break the motor free by dumping the clutch down an on-ramp in a parking garage, and the cocoa coloured oil that I drained out of it, I probably should have been more concerned about something inside the motor letting go more than the tires. Odd, it never leaked or burned a drop of oil, and ran like a champ.
  9. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    afriend bought a 89 hawk gt with very low miles. he rode it 100+ miles home on the original tires. he told me he went over 100 mph just for testing:evil

when I broke the bead to change tires ther were numerous cracks on the side wall:huh
  10. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I smoked cigarettes for 35 years.

I also drank and drove on many occasions back when I drank.

Glad that's over......
    jethrocephus and thirsty 1 like this.
  11. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    .... and I went to the funeral of one of my then 11 year old son's soccer mates. His dad took him for a ride on his bike. The old rear tyre blew. The kid died.
  12. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Did he lay'er down?
  13. leftfield6

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'll pic whore, if that's what you want.

[​IMG]

The shop that I had do the paintwork did a fanfuckingtastic job. First the color is the OEM Tangerine, and they did a great job getting the color right. Next they hand-painted the Triumph logos on the tank. Hand painted! He did the old school Triumph logo, which I think is kinda cool. Then multiple layers of clear over everything.

I had removed every piece that needed to be painted and took them to the shop loose. Afterward I managed to get them home and installed without a single scratch.

[​IMG]

Since these photos were taken, I've sourced the correct "Speed Four" decals for the rear panels.
    Hittman and JHG67 like this.
  14. leftfield6

Oddometer:
    When was that? Last night? :freaky

Had a buddy whose favorite joke was that he had stopped drinking. Last night. Would usually start again later that day.
  15. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine said his boss didn't know he drank until he showed up for work sober one morning:lol3

leftfield6....The Triumph logos are hand painted? :eek1 That's beautiful! Sign painting is quickly becoming a lost art.

regarding tires...I'm currently "finishing off" a pair on the 500 Ninja I just bought from my son. I think they're about 7 years old and are showing some age cracks. I don't see myself riding it a whole lot until next spring, but if I decide then to keep it for a while I'll probably replace them. Since I'm snug with a buck, it'll probably be some inexpensive Kenda's or Shinko's though.

Lynn
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the Duro hf918 tires. About $130 a pair shipped and good feel/grip.
  17. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    Great looking Triumph. That bike is still a great ride Even by today's standards.

11yr old tires, however, are a big liability. Unlike wine - or some women - tires do not age well. Besides, tire tech has gotten far better in 11yrs. For some $300/pr, you'd be silly not to change them out.

Angel GT is a great choice for this bike. I have them on my Speed Triple R and like them a lot.
  18. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    yeah, i thought the same thing that cool, dewey fall morning after riding hard all summer on old race take offs. but that slide across the asphalt at 70mph changed my mind. i got most of the gravel out of my knees and palms tho. :puke1
  19. kingrex

kingrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see the look on your face when you get new tires. It'll be like riding a new bike all over again.
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]