Marquette Michigan

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rastawheel, Nov 11, 2011.

1. rastawheel

rastawheel Pittsburgh, PA

Oddometer:
    Steel City. Single track and No-trail heaven.
    I am doing a small survey job out in the Escanaba River State forest and L'Anse Indian Reservation. I will be flying into Marquette on Tuesday November 15 and working the area Wednesday and Thursday. I was thinking about renting a dual sport to access some of the points I need to get. Some of my points look to be on main roads, but there are a few that look to be on trails. These are the points I would need to ride to. The below map shows the areas and points I need to survey. Any info of the area would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. GordonH

GordonH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might want to check the weather reports. My sister lives in the area and they got 12 inches of snow the other day. On the plus side, there are miles and miles of snowmobile trails in the area.

Gordon
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Just saw your posting.....

#1 thing to be aware of....rifle deer season starts here tomorrow Nov 15, and runs thru the end of the month. BE SURE TO WEAR HUNTER ORANGE!!!

- I do not know of any place that rents bikes (other than Harleys) in the area...although you can rent quads at quite a few places. Be aware that there are limited hours in which ATV's can be ridden during hunting season, unless going to/from a camp or blind. Not sure how the DNR would interpret the rules, if using one for work.

- The snow should not be that big of an issue, providing you have a 4WD. There was a good 10-12" in that area, but its been warm, so it has melted quite a bit. Mud will probably be more of an issue than the snow.

- That area can be rugged, so bring a good pair of hiking boots.
  4. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
  5. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, but looks like the client( damn gov), has cancelled the job for now. I think they want to expand the area being mapped. In the end it is good for me, more work and more time to plan. When I do get up there, i will get a pic of the tanker ship.
  6. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Well, it looks like i will be headed up there to survey these points. So, I am in search of any info on the area. anyone have any? the area is shown on the maps below and is between Marquette and L'Anse.
  7. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Here is some information about the area.

Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail

Starting at post 106 you will find information specific to the area you will survey. Marquette info starts around post 97.

I have a few other reports that cover the area as well.

This one might be useful too.

Western UP History Tour

I have a ton of tracks for the area as well.

More starting at post 158 in this report:

CannonTrek VI & VII

More info in this thread as well.

UP Ride

If you want to chat about the area, PM a phone number.
  8. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Most of the area you are going to be in is relatively remote and rugged. It is accessable via a couple of gravel county roads and then a lot of forest roads (what we call two-tracks). Many of the forest roads will require high clearance, and preferably 4WD.

Not aware of any local places that would rent you a dual sport bike (and you CANNOT borrow my KTM!) , but there are several places that rent quads. But then you need a truck and trailer to get them out of town.

Depending on how closely you need to survey, I am sure you will be in for a bit of hiking.

All of the snow is now gone, and its been fairly dry, so should not be too much mud. Bugs are not out....yet.
  9. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
  10. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Im sitting at vierling having a tasty pale ale. I finish 3/4 of my job today and will be working up around Big Bay tomorrow.. I plan on finishing up tomorrow. Fly home friday. The logging roads were not too bad even though it poured all day today. Hoping for no rain tomorrow. L'Anse was a cool little town. I meet some fun people at the Canteen last night. Next trip up here will be with the dirt bike. The wee strom would be fun too. That even another trip. Beautiful country.