Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. championsound

championsound Regardant fixement le soleil

Oddometer:
    Well, I know of a bridge that I can sell you - http://tinyurl.com/btc4knk

FWIW, I started racing track at Kissena which draws folks both near and far. It's a great learning track and a jump off point for more "legit" places like T-town.

If it wasn't for jockeys and horses, I think there would be a good chance that there'd still be lots of velodromes and track racers in this country. But then again... even with the gambling, it's still not that much of a popular sport, even in Japan where Keirin used to be so popular.
  2. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    The best thing about a track in the neighborhood is the programs for kids/others that otherwise wouldn't ride or race a bicycle. I know the juniors program at Sandy Eggo was successful in keeping at least a few kids out of trouble by giving em something to look forward to doing.

M
  3. Gummee!

Oddometer:
  4. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if there's any benefit to doing my endurance training on a mtb. The advantage of training on the road bike is that I don't feel beaten up from long rides on bumpy off-road trails, and the lack of distractions on paved trails allows me to focus more attention on things like pedaling technique, proper breathing, etc.

:ear
  5. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    How are you defining 'endurance training'?
  6. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of the local trails are no longer than 3 miles. Looking at Strava results, I've noticed that mtb racers in my area can maintain their top speeds for much longer distances, whereas I begin to experience serious fatigue after only 1.5 miles. :knary

I want to increase my endurance so that I can go flat out for at least 3 miles on mtb trails.
  7. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    Once, I went to a running clinic. Featured at this clinic was the Nigerian Olympic track team. They looked like a pack of human cheetahs. :huh When they were asked about cardio, they said they ran 8 miles every, single, day. If you have good wind for 8 miles you'll have REALLY good wind for 1000 meters.

I took that advice to heart, and my cardio is a mix between intervals & distance work. Using that I was able to shave six minutes off my 5k time for a PR of 24 min 49 sec. Not bad for an old guy. :evil
  8. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Your answer is your answer.

If you know you need to hold speed for 3mi, then your intervals need to be at least 3mi. JRA won't make you significantly faster. :nono You can do that off-road, or you can do that on-road. Don't matter as long as you do the efforts.

One HUGE up side to riding road is that it doesn't beat you (or the bike) up. You can ride every day without having to fix either you or the bike.

Now, we're getting into the differences between riding and training.

M
  9. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. I've been doing 10 laps at the local mtb trail, but afterward I feel pretty beaten up. Riding my road bike on paved trails also allows me to focus all my attention on technique (pedaling, breathing, etc.) rather than trying to avoid hitting trees or running off the trail. :D

So if you're training for endurance, do you pedal as hard as you can from start to finish, or is it better to maintain a more even pace and save some energy for the end? :ear
  10. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    You, my friend, need to read up on exercise theory. It pretty much applies to all sports where both endurance and speed are needed. (Running, swimming, bicycling [road, cross, MTB, etc], and a myriad of others.)

Chisenhallw is on the right track. You have to do both. Intervals give you power if done right, but do not do much for endurance (note: I did not say they do nothing for endurance). For endurance, you have to train your heart and lungs. For endurance you go at longer distances in the aerobic zone of your body's metabolism. Intervals you are maxing yourself out pretty much.

A good observation from many trainers: Most people do their slow runs too fast, and their fast runs too slow.

Gummee! is also absolutely right, now we are talking about training to be able to ride better, and not just riding around.
  11. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    :nod

Intervals suck. Sprints, while more fun, suck. Training hurts. That's why people don't do it.

My best recommendation is Joe Friel's book(s) and develop a training plan based on what you want to accomplish. I've used his book as a basis of my training plans for years now.

M
  12. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    There seems to be part of a six pack of this in my hotel fridge. Some Stone too.
    There has been some Dig, and Summersault as well.

13. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    If you're in this sport because you don't like pain, I suggest you take up basket weaving. :lol3 Sprints & intervals are roughly the same thing, right?
  14. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Please tell me you're kidding with that.

Please?!

M
  15. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    No.

I know what intervals are - what are sprints, to you?
  16. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    People are prepared to tolerate a lot of pain if it lasts only a short while, especially when they're rewarded with a soothing endorphin rush afterward. What I really dread is long, grueling exercises, where I'm fighting boredom as well as physical exhaustion.

:thumb
  17. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Intervals = long (depending on how you define the word) efforts typically over LT

Sprints = short, max effort periods typically done to win a race. See this AM's Schelderprijs. May come at the end of an interval-type effort depending on the sprint.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2lJEslVrLRY?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    Note: she sprints like a girl. :baldy Watch Cavendish or look up Abdujaparov for more examples.

M
  18. vfr700

vfr700 172S

Oddometer:
    I watched that 3 times, & couldn't spot the sprint.
  19. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    When was this?

We got a couple of medals some time back in track and field events.

Last Olympics nothing but we netted >1 gold in the Paralympics.
  20. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    Here's Tyler Farar"s sprint training,It doesn't look hard,He's sprinting pass a moto doing 76Kph . also take note when he's finished with the sprint he's resting,not pedeling,just recovering,he may recover from 5-6min after the sprint, or whatever it takes to have his HR come down to well below his Theshhold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVkpKjacIZs&NR=1&feature=endscreen