Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a nice ride from Mcallen to Real de Catorce today. Had a late start but made it with plenty of time. Now the bikes are bedded down, and we are in the lobby on the wifi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
  2. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Coolmax works really well. Or at least it did back in the day when I tested a number of samples in the hot and humid climate of Florida. Even on a cool night Coolmax can be more comfy than cotton because it wicks the moisture off.
  3. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

That's interesting because clumsiness while shifting was one of my major complaints with my old boots. :deal
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

I am getting old as well! :rofl
  5. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Which is absolutely right. However, sometimes I ride from A to B and sometimes I make a point to stop, photograph, and take notes regularly.

So yeah, I get off and walk a lot more than most people do.

One's mileage may vary. As does one's riding style and interests.

But the more that I hear about the Crossfire the more that I feel that I need to give them a try.
  6. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Have fun!! :clap
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have this question over in GSpot, anyone here have the answer?

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #575757; COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Hi!

I am in the process of installing a "new" eBay front wheel on my 1996 R1100GS. I checked the gap before removing the original wheel and found that a .020/.508 feeler gage slide in and out fairly easy. A .021/.533 did not want to go in easily, but I did not try very hard. After installing the "new" wheel, it was obvious that the gap was different, so I consulted the Manuel and found that the spec is .0177/.47 to .02165/.55. The Manuel does not say how easy the feeler gage should fit. Before, I could slide the .021/.533 back and forth fairly easy. Now, I can slide a .015/.381 back and forth, but not as freely as the .021/.533 slide with the original wheel. I can actually get a .019/.483 in the gap now and the wheel will turn with it there, but given big fingers and limited space it does not want to slide back and forth very easily. I did not put any oil on the feeler gages as I normally do when checking valves.

What is the correct way to check the gap?

I have feeler gages, the question for me is "how tight is right". If it is the same method as normally used to check valves, the gap is too small. However, if a feeler gage can be "put" in the gap, it is in spec. BTW, it was certainly close to the top of the spec, if not out with the stock wheel. I don't know if it is related, but the ABS on the front wheel has always been very quick to activate. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thanks!

Donnie

And yes, the stock rim was bent in Mexico! :lol3 Woody said they couldn't fix it, so after using it over 20,000 miles with a tube and vibration, I finally picked up a used one. :D
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  8. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Expect to see me in Boca by the 20th unless you can skip out and go riding earlier. If solo I'll pass through Mexico enroute. If I have company will likely do another mountain route.
  9. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is!

I just realized my new DS boots are SIDI Air Boots, not Crossfires as I said before (as if anyone was paying attention and/or cares). The Air Boots definitely feel like slippers when I wear them and I'm concerned about the protection they provide. You probably could walk a few miles in those things. The Crossfires on the other hand look nice and beefy!
  10. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work Pilot! Way to get out and do it!!:clap
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pilot,
    What hotel is that ?
  12. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
  13. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    El Poporopodopo is the least of your worries, amigo! Bouncing up and down and off and over on west coast trails will quickly sort out your priorities! LOL!
    We've got the Sharpies ready over here!:eek1
    Back to the serious stuff, either weekend works ok, June 14, 15, 16 is cool and the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd will do fine. If it is mid-week, give me a heads up on that one but it is doable con gusto. The Mystery Rider should be around which is always fun. Hopefully, he won't have put the baffles back into the dinosaur's tail so you too can experience that Texas Motorplex feeling ha,ha!:clap
    Just pick a day and aim for it and if you hit it, ok, if not, we'll reschedule on this end. No worries.
    Should be hotter than all get out by then, too.
    Have you done the lane changing on the route up to Azumbilla from the Orizaba valley? Or do you prefer breakfast at the mirador in Los Cumbres?
    Both?
  14. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    La quinta puesta del sol. Not a bad place. Somewhere around 500 pesos. There were almost no hotels open when we rolled into town, and the ones that were open didn't have parking. They have a comedor on site as well. They also have very very hot water for your shower in the morning!

15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Re-Shimmed! :d I finally decided to measure as if I was checking valve clearances, which meant it was too tight. I am 90 miles from the nearest BMW store, so I cut a .04/.103 feeler gage, trimmed with scissors and now it checks just like the old wheel did! :clap

PS: I will get the proper shimm next time I am at the BMW store.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  16. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Breakfast time!

[​IMG]

17. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Hey SR, I was right there on Sunday, there were about 7 of us, we went to La Pasadita for breakfast, then spent the day melting rubber, always stoping for pie in Copala, or world famous tamales in Concordia, or both on the way home....

I don't think the two groups would have got along so good though, everyone in my gang was riding a big dual sport...

There's always next time, Jim...
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I had Cherrios! :cry
  19. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Both, of course! All that you have time for. Will be in Parras with my Amigo 15th, 16th, or so. Then your way the next weekend. Put off the DGO-MZT thang till Oct. for better WX and fewer bikes.
  20. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    What was it someone said no photos didn't happen?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Man I love this place...