Klx250sf??

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Birdmove, Dec 19, 2009.

1. J

J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry about buying a more-or-less new bike with no warranty, assuming the discount is decent. Problems with bikes like this are few, and getting the dealer to address them under warranty can be a headache.
  3. HandKPhil

HandKPhil An American Portuguese Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tommyg, I sent you a PM.
  4. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks and good point about actually getting warranty work done.

I called the dealership with the used 2009 with 27 miles on it. The typical "blah, blah, blah" and it'll be about 4100 OTD. So I may shop around for a new one or press this dealer to lower their price. For once, time is on my side.

:clap
  6. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Newbie Q so be gentle....

What are the tubes that hang off the right side of the bike? I've attached a photo. I looked at the used 2009 today and noticed all the tubes hanging down. Didn't really pay attention last week when I was looking at the new SFs but I did find out none of Kawi's publicity photos have them showing. Hmmmm......

Thanks for any info.

[Not a photo of the bike I looked at and it is only being used for educational purposes.]

[​IMG]
  7. J

J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those would be carb vent and overflow tubes and the one with the container on it is airbox drain.
  8. Clint Taurus

Clint Taurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I was in my local kawazuki today and spotted an 09 250sf by the door.
    Sat on it felt pretty good, lightweight looks like fun. I knew the MSRP for 2010 was 4999 figured the 09 would be dicounted some...WRONG $5200 out the door.
    I asked the sales guy if he would pay full MSRP + prep for a 2 model year old unsold chevy....what do you think he said?
    Guess I'll wait awhile longer.
    It really looks like a fun ride around town bike.
  9. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Celebrating the new year. That is snow in the back ground.

[​IMG]
  10. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks J. I fished around Kawi's website and looked at the owner's manual. On page 104 it describes that as a "reservoir" for oil draining.

And, "If there is any oil in the reservioir, remove the plug from the lower end of the drain hose and drain the oil."

ro22 -- isn't that amazing? Dealerships sticking to their prices for a 2 year old bike. I guess it's most if not all dealerships since you had the same experience as me last week.
  11. mugwump

mugwump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year everybody. I celebrated by putting in the 2nd stage Dynajet kit and a 2 Brothers Exhaust can. I also just got done ordering the attachment to drop 7-9 db, ouch gotta consider the neighbors. I've still got some issues with the right side panel now that the new can is on.

I'm gonna but the aux tank back on and have my dirt bag racks extended a bit so everything fits.

Still haven't found that Spitfire windscreen that I've seen here.

I'll keep watching and stealling your ideas:wink:
  12. JingJing

JingJing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to consider the Turbo City windshield. It's worked out great for me! I bought the windscreen brackets used from a Thumper Talk member and then I bought the "replacement" windshield from Turbo City. Saved a few bucks that way. I'm only 5' 1" and I can see over the windshield just fine. Of course you're probably a whole lot taller but you can see that the angle of the screen should make it work for you too.

[​IMG]
  13. David R

Oddometer:
    Look here

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...amer-Spitfire-Windshield.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch
  14. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see this thread still limping along after I started it just over a year ago.

jon
  15. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a good thing. The SF riders have their own spot to post up specifics about the model. The bike is getting more attention. I know, I know there is a mega thread for the S model! :D
  16. J

J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    407guy
    It hooks to the bottom of the airbox. The oil comes from the crank case vent which also hooks to the airbox. At high engine speeds the oil is vaporized in the air inside the engine and is expelled out of the vent which gets sucked back in through the carburettor. Some will cling to the air filter and if it gets saturated enough will find it's way to the bottom of the airbox. If the bike is dropped or laid down oil can drain from the engine to airbox also gas from the carb will settle to the bottom of the airbox and ends up in that reservoir.
  17. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks (again) J for the info. :clap

For me, I guess then, is the question: should I be "concerned" if the used bike I'm looking at has that reservoir "full" on the [non Kawi] dealership's lot?
  18. David R

Oddometer:
    I have an SF with 4,000 + miles on it and that bottle is empty.

David
  19. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually try for 10 to15% off of msrp and no set up fees and that usually works unless the bike is real popular like when the redesigned Ninja 250 came out in 08. On an left over I would go for more discount.
  20. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:

Why are you selling it so soon? I am near Ann Arbor and visit TC to see my parent often.