Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. buickid

buickid A little bit of everything.

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, just picked up a 2009 Super Sherpa with ~675mi on the clock a couple days ago from Wyoming. Changed the oil and took her up to Fort Collins for a camping trip with my buddies. Runs like a charm, great bike! Hope to add side and rear racks soon with a fuel mount on the rear rack and a couple small ammo cans on the side racks, along with the engine guard/skid plate.
  2. Sooray

Sooray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I need a spare gear shifter for my 2005 KL250 - H9 S/Sherpa. Is this part interchangeable between different models/years of production or do I need to be careful about what I buy to make sure it fits properly?

Thanks
    Sooray
  3. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:

I would be astonished if it's not a standard metric spline and the same as dozens of other Japanese bikes.

The length of the lever, the offset outwards away from the case, and possibly the angle relative to the splines may all differ from one model to another. All but length are easily corrected with a vice and a little brute force.

Personally I'd like my gear lever slightly lower but I've never got around to getting an alternative and bending it to suit.
  4. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Fixing to do the rejetting of the carb. has anyone shimmed the needle up or does the rejetting take care of everything? Also anyone extended the kickstand? I don't remember my 2001"s being this short. Of course I have slept since then :lol3. Getting 68-70 mpg and having a blast on FS and single track with it.
  5. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to remove the floats from the carb. What is the trick for getting them out? I cant see a screw or am I able to pull the pin that the floats pivot off of.......
  6. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, there are still new '09s floating around. I've seen ads on line where dealers are asking as little as $3300 for them, new with warranty.

I'd ask, as previously suggested, between $2500 and $3000. There are many low mileage examples around, and by low miles I mean under 1000.

Good luck with the sale.
  7. CAVEboy

CAVEboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is an 02 and had 1600 miles when we bought it for $1850. It was the only one for sale for miles around though and had I let it sit in the ads for more than a day before calling it probably would have sold quick. I think I could get a little more now if I tried to sell it, but how could I replace it?
  8. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pin is how you remove the float, yes. Be VERY careful that you don't bend/damage the float valve assembly when you remove the float. Look carefully at how it all fits together so you can put it back the right way.
  9. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For winter riding around here (below about 40 degrees fahrenheit), I went to a 132 main jet and shimmed the needle on my sherpa with a small washer. For summer riding, I took the shim out and put back in the 130 main jet as per the DrJeckle mod.

If someone is willing to take the time and patience, there are some serious gains to be made for jetting the bike properly with the snorkel removed from the top of the airbox. I tried it once, and there was definitely more grunt at the top end. But there was a HUGE lean spot at low/mid RPM that basically made the bike almost unrideable. Not impossible to sort out, but I'm not sure even where to start with that.
  10. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pulled the pin, took some work, and I replaced the float valve. I also replaaced the counter sprocket seals and I swoitch out the petcock with the Yamaha one. No more leaks:evil I hope anyways
  11. pantheman

pantheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do the carb mods increase or decrease the fuel consumption?
    Mine now consumes about 4.1lt/100km, is that too much?
  12. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. pantheman

pantheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and what about consumption , how is it now with the Dr Jeckle mod , has it gone up or down??
  14. Sequoia

Sequoia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't tell yet since I have injured my back & havn't been able to ride & or finish off the tank. I'll let you know as soon as i'm able to ride again though.
  15. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Seems to me common sense that increase jet size = increase fuel consumption.. :lol3
  16. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The jet size increase isn't very large, and if you're running less lean, you'll get more power out of the engine, so less throttle opening, and potential the same or less fuel consumption.

So it's more complicated than just bigger = more fuel consumption.
  17. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    BS, how many jets have you replaced in carbs?

Never in my experience that running the same engine with richer fuel intake by increasing jet size would consume less fuel.
  18. pantheman

pantheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk
    Its a nice debate , Anyone else with consumption facts from Dr Jeckle΄s carb mods??

How about a FCR???lol ,
    Seriously has anyone tried that??

if it actually does consume more , it will be a shame , because basically Im lookin to decrease the cosumption that the short Thibetian guy has,
    4ltrs/100kms is not that low isnt it, ?? I think our bike is a litle hungry on fuel!

Ps
    I'll go with Mr Tomatoe, I've seen a similar situation on a FCR'ed DRZ 400SM that was consuming a litle less fuel than before ,thats with reasonable throtle opening offcourse.
  19. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the DrJeckle mod makes it consume more gas, I never noticed. I got about 60-70 MPG before and after the mod. My riding style and what I was riding (back roads, dirt, single track, etc.) had a lot more of an effect on the mileage.

Someone on the Super Sherpa yahoo group put the flat-slide carb from an XR250R in a Sherpa. Join the group and take a look in the message archive, and you'll find the info.
  20. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not that simple.

There is a mixture which is most efficient; a reduction in jet size that gives a leaner mixture will also result in increased fuel consumption.

The mixture that gives most power is slightly richer than the most economical mixture, so the job of a well set up carby (or fuel injection) is to provide the most efficient (and therefore economical) mixture at all throttle settings except full throttle, when it should be slightly richer for maximum power.

Of course emissions considerations further complicate matters, and it is possible the standard Sherpa carby settings are leaner than ideal for economy in order to minimise emissions.