Alcohol Stoves

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ShadyRascal, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Herbivore63

Herbivore63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve,

Reading about these great stoves has finally forced me out of lurker status! Paypal sent for three of them. Any problems with paypal or amount sent let me know. Thanks...

Evan
  2. ebohnet1

ebohnet1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sent 18.00 dollars for two stoves, one simmer and one regular. Thanks
  3. Pointyhead

Pointyhead Low Toner-Don't Care

Oddometer:
    Sent $9 for a regular stove.

Thanks
  4. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Shady,
    I was wondering, have you thought about a stove that will work as both versions? It sounds like its just less holes in the Simmer version. If so, what about taping the holes for thumb-scew plugs or maybe a collar with teeth (think castle nut) that could be rotated in/out of position. That way you only need 1 for both jobs!

I have always been of the survivalist mindset, so I plan to have one of these on my bike during trips, unless carrying my MSR and one in my backpack for when the "Sh&% Hits the Fan". The websites like Zombie Hunters, would be another source of revenue!
  5. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used the "Stever Stove" last Friday night while Moto-Camping at the base of Mt. Cheaha, here in Dixie. The stove performed flawlessly...........cooked a big pot of mater's, okra, and corn with some yard-bird (chicken) thrown in the mix. Hmmmm.......yummy!! Then followed by 2 cups of hot coffee while sitting on the picnic table gazing up at all the stars. "Life was Good" last Friday night..............:lol3 :clap
  6. advman70

advman70 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sent $18 for two regular stoves. thanks!
  7. Mr.Spray

Mr.Spray n00b

Oddometer:
    $18 sent for one regular, and one simmer!

Thanks!
  8. kevinj

kevinj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just spotted this thread, and I can tell there's lots of information and wisdom spread throughout the pages, but it's just way too much to read. Maybe somebody can summarize all the useful info and put it on the first page.

My question : what's the smallest size pot that can be used efficiently (meaning most of the head of the flame is absorbed by the pot, rather than flying away to heat up outer space)?

Also, what are the dimensions? When you say it packs easily, you just mean it's small, right? It doesn't look like it collapses.

Thanks - again, I'm sure this info is somewhere in the thread ...
  9. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'ts half a soda can high. Nicely beaded and riveted. Two of them will fit in a creme de Pirouline or similar sized tea leaf can. (Piroulines are the thin rolled wafer cookies filled with chocolate.)

I have both of the alcohol burners. I've used a 1 cup Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Expresso pot with both. Found out that the 12 holer is way too hot, burned the handle. The 6 hole one was just right for the little pot. The little bit of Heet in one of those cans puts out an amazing amount of useful cooking heat.

Went to ebay and picked up a couple aluminum Sterno stoves... I got the aluminum ones. Both Sterno cans (really only good for warming) and the super dooper alcohol stove Shady Rascal makes fit just fine. I also carry Heet in an aluminum water bottle, almost two cans of Heet will fit, saves a bit of space.

While you can use a tin can with air holes to put pots on while cooking ( with alcohol stove inside), I'm too uncoordinated and prefer a larger area to plop a pot on.

Make sure you bring a couple of pot holders. Saves on the burnt fingers...:rofl
    Take care and ride safe.
    mary
  10. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this from a camping light website...

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Trangia-Westwind-Simple-Alcohol-Camp-Stove/productinfo/C-WEST/

"The HEET factory bottle is made for ONE TIME use. It is not suited to trail storage and measured pouring into a stove. Get a special bottle for alcohol, such as those sold in the sidebar on this webpage"

Guess I did something right without knowing it.... besides the Heet bottles are funny shaped....
    A cooking stand with something similar to those aluminum triangle/sides wouldn't be too hard to make...

Another great place for lightweight stuff is
    http://gossamergear.com/
    ... although they're into ultralight camping, they do have some really good ideas... some really space saving.

mary
  11. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:

The stove dimensions are 2.375" diameter, and height is 2.1" to 2.25" depending on how my stove making kung fu is on any particular night.

I often times use a large tin coffee cup on mine, it is 4" in diameter, and works very well. You can just plop an open can of chili or whatever on it too, and though it loses some efficiency from the flames being more outside of the can, it still works. Again, especially in that case, a shield for wind protection is important, even if the air outside feels very still. You'll need some way to pick your can up off of there however without burning yourself or spilling your beans. :1drink
  12. Pointyhead

Pointyhead Low Toner-Don't Care

Oddometer:
    My Stever Stove finally made it! 24 days in the mail, thanks USPS!

Here is a shot of the test drive, 3 hit moka pot on top of the Stever Stove, fueld with about 2 ounces of denatured alcohol.

[​IMG]

Worked like a champ :freaky
  13. HUN rider

HUN rider n00b

Oddometer:
    sent paypal for two original stoves
  14. Landro

Landro Slippery when wet

Oddometer:
    Came back from an overseas trip to find 2 Stevers and 2 Simmers waiting in the mail box for me; a set for me and a set for the stepson for Xmas. Made tea in the garage yesterday (torrential rain outside) and it worked like a hot damn. WAAAAY better than my Trianga alky burner. I was bit nervous about the pot stability though. Gonna have to experiment with a stand/support that still allows the pot to seal the top of the stove and pressurize the jets.

A quick comment about fuel. I know you recommend methyl alcohol (hydrate, HEET, etc.) as the best and cleanest burning. And I certainly have used it with success in the Trianga. However, I have read in a couple of places now that it is very toxic (most notably the Zen Stoves website; a must read if you are interested in alky stoves IMHO) :deal. Even the fumes from burning are supposedly bad in your food and water (and not just the CO that burning any organic creates). So I decided to stick with denatured ethanol which allegedly is less toxic and has a slightly better BTU per liter content. Got a nice big 4 liter jug of 98-99% ethanol from Canadian Tire for cheap (it's used as a fireplace fuel and can be found in that section for our Canadian readers).

Worked just fine. Slightly yellower flame with a bit more soot on the pot; easily wiped off. Hot and fast burn. And no risk of growing a third arm or having my skin fall off from toxic fumes :D YMMV

Anyways... Hell of a fine product for a great price from a true gentleman. Thanks Steve.
  15. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    Teaser: Another inmate is currently working on a stand/windscreen to work with the SteverStove.

First I've heard of Methyl being unhealthy. I will look into this as I don't want to recommend something bad.
  16. Landro

Landro Slippery when wet

Oddometer:
    I don't know that you are recommending something so bad Steve. It just "seems" that ethanol is better based on the interweb experts opinion (for what that's worth...). Here is one site with info on alky stove fuels for backpackers:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html#Fuels

And this one also speaks to the considerations of methanol as a fuel (far way down)

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

To each their own I guess. Still a damn fine product that feeds my camp stove addiction :clap Thanks again.
  17. skypilot

skypilot NOTHING beats a fresh set of knobs

Oddometer:
    $18 sent for one of each. I have a Coleman 1 burner Petrol stove that works great but it is heavy. I need to lighten up my load for the next Roaming Rally.
  18. Buddy_Holly

Buddy_Holly That'll be the day..

Oddometer:
    I would buy this stove again any day.
    If you want to reduce weight in your gear this is the way to do it. Never again pack special fuel. Heet has been available everywhere I have bought fuel. It basically can't fail, unlike an expensive MSR multi fuel stove. And it stores inside of a cup you use for cooking.

Brilliant.

Thanks Shady!

BH
  19. JNXPILOT

JNXPILOT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $18 for one of each!!!!!
  20. JNXPILOT

JNXPILOT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got one of each yesterday. Fired 'um up, works as advertised! Got to be the best ADV camp stove for the buck! :clap

Thanks for a great produce!