Oklahoma ADV Riders BS Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Mr. Guy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:

Yeah now that it's here definitely wish I had planned around it or something and headed that way. Ah well. Next time. As cold as it is today I'd have had to spend bucks on lower degree rated sleeping bag to camp down there though.
  2. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    No matter what you said in the beginning, nobody was counting on you showing up anyway :lol3
  3. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Krabil have you ridden the "K Trail" there and if so is it big bike friendly?

TIA
  4. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    lmao, true story. :D
  5. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've ridden it quite a few times. As far as being big bike friendly goes, I'd have to say . . . hmm . . . not really. A friend of mine rode it on his 1150, but he isn't your average rider. I've seen people have troubles with KLR's on the K-trail.

It's do-able, but you have to be a pretty good rider if you want to do it on anything bigger than a KLR.

That said, there are miles and miles of wonderful big bike friendly trails in that area, but parts of the K-Trail, especially on the Western end will give you some fits. It's easier and definitely big bike friendly the further East you get. The part that passes over into Arkansas is absolutely beautiful and worth doing by itself. The rougher stuff is close to and right out of Clayton. I'd say from Clayton to the Indian Highway is the toughest.

For big bikes, I'd to the Eastern portion of the K-trail (East of 259) - well, you could probably start at the Indian Highway for a little challenge and head East from there, then head on down South of 144 and explore that area.
  6. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks much appreciated!!
  7. mikecarpenter

mikecarpenter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in with a group of 2 or 3 coming down early Saturday morning (prob arrive at the state park by 8:30 am). Right now we're planning to do about 150 mile dual sport ride. Everything is subject to change of course and we might ride singletrack instead. You are welcome to join in. As mentioned before, there will be different groups heading out with various skill levels. Jump in with one you're comfortable with.

You can call me at 918.607.2296 if you want.

mikec
  8. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. frontiercat

frontiercat Space Staion #5

Oddometer:
    Ga-Giggity....:eek1
  10. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ride is ON!

Gonna' have an Arkie ADV rider with me ("OLEARY") and he said he wants to ride the meanest, baddest, most technical trail you can throw at him! Said he's gonna' show us Okies a thing or two about the way REAL men ride! :rofl

We hope to arrive before 8 AM. I'll be in a blue Chevy S-10 w/a WR250R in the back.

Lookin' forward to hooking up with some fellow Okie crazies and seeing some new portions of the Ouachitas!!!

(Hope I can sleep tonight. :lol3 )

V-man
  11. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    You picked a good time to go, with all the other guys going. Have fun and let us know how it went.
  12. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back safe and sound from the sea of Orange Pumpkins!

After a few miles we both decided this was more than we wanted to do today. We were in the mood to hit some laid back stuff and enjoy the scenery. Soooo... we bailed, loaded up, and I took me ol' bud from AR over to a range of mountains I know very well and we finished our day there. We were back at our the trucks and loaded up about 5 PM or so. Great day to be out in the mountains regardless of the color of your bike or the choice of terrain!!

Want to thank whomever put that on down there. Look to be a very relaxed atmosphere, and typical of the biking community: Seemed we were friends with anyone we met. Great bunch of guys.

Looked to be a lot of riding down that way that needs to be explored, but I'll probably do that on my own so I can access it when I have the time and inclination without the need to coordinate with others.

Thanks to all of you that told us about the non-event, too!
  13. dallasdrz

dallasdrz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ktm and Beta in 2008-2009 = RED

[​IMG]
  14. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it's good to change the routine...

On my way home tonight I came to one of my usual dreaded stoplights. Lynn Lane and Kenosha in BA. One of those that won't change for a motorcycle- I'm sure you know the feeling.

I always use the left lane because there is a merge after the light (Southbound). I've run this light more than I'd prefer to admit. Tonight, I found myself in the right lane and I came to a stop at this perpetually-red light. Looking both ways mentally preparing to run the light.

What do you know? The light turns green. :scratch

For several years now, I have been using the left lane with crappy sensors and running red lights.

Change lanes. Change the routine. :deal
  15. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Try installing a big kick ass superconducting magnet to trip stoplights. It seems to work for me but no guarantees. My son stuffed one down inside the hollow swing arm pivot bolt on his GSXR 1000 and he said he still has lights that won't trip.

If you install one, mount it crosswise to the axis of the bike for best results. I have mine stuck to my centerstand. It will grab hold really tight from the magnetism but you will still need a couple of tie wraps on it to keep it from sliding around. Keep your fingers clear when you get close to steel! It will SNAP to the surface with a lot of force that will leave nasty blood blisters at best or peel hide at worst.

Here's where I got mine:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BZX084
  16. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    wonder what effect, if any, would these magnets have on the bikes computer? :scratch
  17. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    This seems to be a rather "polarizing" subject....
  18. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    I see what you did there!

[​IMG]
  19. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    That's why I put it on the centerstand. I'm not sure what would happen if it was closer to the electrics and I don't want to find out:rofl
  20. Hack'dTiger

Hack'dTiger Ride more. Worry Less.

Oddometer:
    ".....
    d. notwithstanding any other provision of law, the driver of a motorcycle facing any steady red signal may cautiously proceed through the intersection only if: (1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop as required by subparagraph a of this paragraph,
    (2) the traffic control signal is programmed or engineered to change to a green signal only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle and has failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle because of its size or weight, and
    (3) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the roadway to be crossed or entered, or the motor vehicle or person is at a distance from the intersection that does not constitute an immediate hazard.
    The driver of any vehicle approaching the intersection, which lawfully may enter the intersection, shall have the right-of-way over any motorcycle operator proceeding through a red light and, in no event where an accident results from the driver of the motorcycle proceeding into the intersection on a red light, shall such driver of the vehicle be charged with any violation pursuant to Sections 11-401 and 11-403 of this title relating to failure to yield right-of-way, Section 11-310 of this title relating to following too closely, or Section 11-801 of this title relating to driving too fast for conditions, and
    e. unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 11-203 of this title, pedestrians facing a steady circular red signal alone shall not enter the roadway.
    ...."

Taken from here. :deal