2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Nolaw

Nolaw Mark Lawless

Oddometer:
    So... will the stock fuel injector (computer I assume) auto reconcile K&N filters and after market headers or new "chip" needed to maximize engine running efficiently?
  2. Justarida

Justarida Genius At Large

Oddometer:
    According to my dealer after Tuesday April 2, 2013 I will no longer be 50 something years old any longer.
    The exact amount of time retrograde he could not predict. However me thinks it should be inversely proportional to the number of years spent away from Inline 4 Cylinder, DOHC, Chain Driven, Chrome and Candy coated, Rolling, Howling, Scraping, Tons of Standard fun.
    Which in my case is about 25 years.

What else can you (legally) spend 10K on and feel this way about?
    Ordered mine in Feb. its been a long wait.

Congrats to Plungerhead eagerly awaiting his report.
    Also it may be helpful if Plungerhead would post his height / inseam.
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most old Hondas had double-wall pipes that prevented the chrome from reaching bluing temp unless something was dramatically wrong. Don't know about the CB1100. If it is a single-wall pipe (as most modern exhausts are these days), some exhaust pipe discoloration on a chrome or stainless systems has to be expected as normal and has nothing with the bike running too lean.

And putting a PC or other gizmo to richen the mixture isn't necessarily going to help. In fact, it may make the problem worse by encouraging fuel burning in the exhaust pipe downstream of the exhaust valve. Modern bikes are usually running on the lean/cool side of peak exhaust gas temp for emissions/fuel-mileage reasons and enriching increases the exhaust temp, not decreases it.

Some pipes do seem to brown more than blue. I have always attributed it to road grime, but don't really know. Maybe it has to do with stainless vs. chrome.

- Mark
  4. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Every bike I have bought in the past few years, that had stainless pipes, browned. The chromed single wall Triumph's blued. One possible reason for the color at the joint, is that the cat may be installed at that location, creating more heat there. Just a guess, though.
  5. The other Ferret

The other Ferret Motorcycle nut

Oddometer:
    Maybe I can shed some light on this issue. PLUNGERHEAD TAKE NOTE! I was just at my dealer and saw a new bulletin from Honda regarding the CB 1100. It talked about the oil cooled spark plug seats, , the oil temp warning system, the hubless floating brake disc,

and *** 2 service tips, the first of which was how IMPORTANT it is to remove the anti- rust coating from the exhaust system at set up BEFORE starting the engine, otherwise the coating will burn and stain the high luster finish.Honda recommends a solution of mild detergent and water and a soft cloth.

The other service tip said the battery is installed with a band around it to ease its removal and installation and NOT TO remove the strap from the battery.

If I were PLUNGERHEAD, id call my dealer asap and tell him not to start bike without cleaning the entire exhaust and not to remove the battery strap.
  6. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks, Ferret!
  7. Nolaw

Nolaw Mark Lawless

Oddometer:
    I thought they ran tested all bikes to pass QC...
  8. The other Ferret

Oddometer:

anti-rust coating is probably put on after testing to protect pipes on trip across the ocean
  9. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
    The bulletin I saw was a 2013 New Model Special Edition of The Wrench, Honda Technician Newsletter dated March 2013
  10. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
    My 2003 Bonnevilles pipes discolored a combo of blue, gold and brown down to the first bend. You could clean it off, but it would come right back again.

Ive never had stainless pipes before, not sure how they'll react. I imagine even if you follow Hondas cleaning procedure to the T they wont stay the same color as new pre- started.
  11. Plungerhead

Plungerhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys!!!!!!!!! I'm waiting for a return call from my dealer and will ask these questions.
    I'm in a quandry here. The weather is going to be awful the next 3 days. i REALLY don't want to ride this beauty home in the wet or even trailer it in the rain.. BUT I want the damned thing in my garage!!!!!!
    Of course like most dealers they are closed Sundays and Mondays.........my 2 days off! I'm going to ask that if someones lives in the area if they could be bribed to open the doors for me on Monday, JUST 5 MINS. ITS ALL I NEED!
  12. Guth

Guth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate those who are sharing some of the more detailed information they've learned of.

In other news, I learned from my dealer today that my ABS model is scheduled to ship on 3/28. So if all goes as planned it sounds like I am going to be looking at the first week in April.
  13. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could trailer it. Some people have been known to Saran wrap their bikes while on a trailer. Just don't tarp it and have the wind snap that tarp till it wears on brand new touch areas!
  14. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
    AWFUL? If they wont agree to open for you on Monday,I'd wait. Whats a couple more days? Hate to get a brand new bike all dirty the first day I owned it.
  15. Burninator

Burninator Zed's dead

Oddometer:
    :lol3. Won't ride it home in the rain! It's just water. Just bustin your balls Plungerhead. I'm just jealous. With that said, If you pay for the plane ticket I'll ride it home for ya, and wash it off in the driveway in a bikini!:freaky
  16. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
    Btw ordered my first farkle for my CB today

Qty 2 part number 95010-16001 $2.99 each
  17. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's different stainless these days, but my 02 VFR's pipes went brownish
  18. Scoobynut

Oddometer:
    I just spoke with a dealer here in N. Dakota, about 200 miles distant from me (Minot, ND). They got in a non-ABS today, but it's already sold. They won't budge off MSRP for their next one, so I called the dealer in Bismarck and they will take $500 off MSRP, no freight or setup fees, only other charge is a $25 doc fee, so $9524 all in before tax (5%). Should get me out the door right at $10k. I think it's a pretty fair deal.

I'm going to order the rear rack. Will probably add that Staintune muffler too. Damn, I'm excited!

Oh, and BTW, I empathize with the guy who doesn't want to ride his home in the rain. All bikes will, and should, get dirty once in a while, but that can wait a few days, eh? :freaky
  19. Scoobynut

Oddometer:
    Cap levers? Lever caps? I saw the picture of them -- looks like little rubber caps on the end of the brake and clutch levers. What's their function if you don't mind me asking?
  20. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
    Little rubber covers for the ends of the levers that cover the balled ends. A lot of the early Hondas had them. I have no idea what their function was originally, but a proper CB should have them imo. I hope they fit the new levers!

Google 1969 Honda CB 750 and look at the images and you will see them