Offroad Riding vs. Street Riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mikem9, Nov 17, 2013.

1. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    that sucks man. glad i don't live in germany, i guess.

a friend of a friend visited us from germany a couple of years ago. he likes to ride dirt bikes, so i offered to take him riding. we hopped on my plated dirt bikes and rode to the local trails. he was blown away that we could just ride there, turn off the road and onto the trails and just ride through the woods all day.

i felt bad for him having to return to a world where you cannot do that...

(of course, every place has its pros and cons.)
  2. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm phasing out of street riding and into dirt... Every time I got on my Sportbike I was just watching for cops, cops, cops, cops.

Dirt is fantastic, just ride.
  3. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride to get aroundÂ…Â… on or off road, if it goes where I want to go, it's fine by me. When I was in England I found some handy "green lane" short-cuts.

That being said, the more "upgraded" a road is the more I tend to avoid it. B roads, gravel, dirt, and no roads are more common in places that interest me.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

ON board with that! I prefer a good dirt/gravel road or groomed trail over pavement for the most part. With a lighter bike I would also include single track in general. There are a number of legal off road areas in eastern Ohio, like the Wayne National Forrest out of Nelsonville and the AEP recreation area near Coshocton Ohio.

But a good twisting back road is great ala supermoto type play. I'm getting further away from pure road bikes as I get older...
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I enjoy both,

Everything from downtown Seattle, to forgotten logging roads up in the mountains, and everything in between. Each has their rewards and challenges, but nothing that I don't enjoy.

As dakez says, "if you're riding angry, you're doing it wrong", to that I'll add, "if you don't enjoy your ride, you're doing it wrong", because there is no such thing as a "bad" ride. Keeping that in mind, I find I don't have the issues some do with other motorists or LE. Reasonable expectations, respect for others, and accepting the reality of the moment goes a long way.

It's all good.
  6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both, obviously.
    I'm pretty sure I've turned the corner past riding like an asshat on the street, so a woodsy weapon, a capable commuter/traveler, and a track steed keep me entertained...for now.