Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    I've had tremendous gains with strength training, particularly my glutes and core. When the quads are failing, it's nice to activate glutes and return rolling. Core strength ensures power goes to the pedals instead of rocking my hips on the saddle and other waste.

This has helped me get smaller, but the number on the scale is about the same, I hate to say. At least I'm pedaling around less useless mass.

And, as my trainer says, "Ass moves mass", so build those glutes! :D
  2. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dave. If it fits into your training schedule, consider coming up for the actual ride on May 5th. 9500' of climbing for the century and 12,500' for the super!

http://www.gmwsupercentury.com/
  3. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    What sort of strength exercises have you been doing? :ear
  4. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went out for a little over 23 miles this morning. Temps were in the mid 20s when we left :umph ...April 1 and mid 20s...and I brought the wrong gloves. I almost thought I was going to have to bail cause my thumbs got really cold right away, but they got better. My toes got cold too, even with neoprene shoe covers and heavy socks.

I sick of this cold crap. :vardy
  5. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:

yeesh, 650B wheels on a mountain bike? 26 (559) is too small, and 29er/700c (622) is too big, so we need 584mm rims?
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Agreed 100% but how many tracks are there in the US? Not many. :cry

I've outsprinted other riders while seated as they were standing and flailing. About a decade of racing track'll do that. :augie

M
  7. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    yup. :nod

Supposed to be the newest, bestest thing that's been re-discovered after being lost. First mtn bikes ever were evidently 650B bikes.

Me? I like the idea that there's not quite as many geometry compromises for us shorter guys. :nod

M
  8. championsound

championsound Regardant fixement le soleil

Oddometer:
    You ever race in T-town PA? If so, I'll bet we've been to the same races.
  9. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Nope. T-Town is a heck of a drive from DC. :cry

Raced SoCal primarily. Sandy Eggo and Encinas. Where the Home Depot track is now (Domingues Hills) was torn up most of the time I was racing and the new indoor track was finished right after I jacked up my back.

I'm not built to go up a hill. :nah ...but the banking at the track?! :ricky I always tell people 'if the biggest hill I ever have to climb again is the banking at the velodrome, I'll be perfectly happy.' Not one person has really believed me. :dunno

M
  10. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

All in good fun Aurelius!
  11. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    We sure didn't have any 650B stuff up on Mt Tamalpais in the early 1970s. All we had 26" fat tire, (hey, it was that or road bikes, with 27", or tubulars).

I had a couple 26" old gaspipe steel cruisers, some folks converted these with 5-speeds, but more frequently they were 1-speed with coaster brakes. Pretty soon loons like Ritchey were making their own 26" monsters, lighter, stronger, with gears and actual brakes. I never could afford anything like that.
  12. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any pointers on reducing lower back pain on MTB descents? I use attack position, elbows out, knees bent, but by the end of my descent my back is killing me. Would a slightly longer stem possibly help? I was thinking by stretching out a little further my back wouldn't be bent at such an angle. I'm starting to think my next MTB will be a longer, lower sprung 29er.
  13. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think a shorter stem, bringing the bars closer to you, so its not as much of a bend over to get to them, and gives you a bit more upright position... It seemed to help me out when i switched from a 120mm long stem to a 50mm stem.

Also, ride more...the pain is pointing out some weak muscles in your back...the more you ride, the stronger they will get.
  14. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    I think it was Ritchey (or Fisher) who said in that movie (or an interview) about him that the some of first "mountain bikes" they made were 650B's. They quickly moved over to 26" because of availability.... Pretty sure there was an original Ritchey 650B at NAHBS this year.
  15. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    The only thing that worked for me (mine was on my road bike though), was exercises, core exercises, not weights, just exercises. Riding more just made it more sore.
  16. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    We have been sticking people under about 5'8" on 650B's for about 2 years for riders around here. We don't have any really technical stuff though, either flowy or legs-n-lungs.....
  17. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    The May, 2013 issue of Bicycling magazine has an interesting article on tracks in the USA. Snip: "Though the number fluctuates-and what constitutes being open is open to discussion-the United States has 30-50 velodromes." It's a worthwhile read.
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Compared to the state-sponsored track programs in other countries, the US is woefully behind in the tracks/rider ratio. ...and we wonder why we keep getting our asses handed to us.

Take the mid-atlantic: 1 track in upper nowhere PA and one track an hour south of Charlotte. NOTHING in the middle. That's 10-12hrs of driving between em! :eek1 Zero tracks in AZ. They gotta head to Sandy Eggo to do their State Championships. That's sad. :nod

I still have almost all my track gearing, I just don't have a rear wheel or frame. One comes into being (yeah, right!) I'll be mostly ready.

M
  19. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Sunday Sunday Sunday!
    P-R link (cause its Vimeo and will auto-run)

M
  20. Gummee!

Oddometer: