Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Pic from a recent ride.

[​IMG]
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    bpc and smolt like this.
  3. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More pics, info, link please...
  4. Red eyed and Rollin

Red eyed and Rollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, AWESOME indeed! More details and pics would be great!
  6. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Details, details, details. Awesome looking Sportster.

Cakeeater
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a Storz conversion done by Team Latus in Portland Oregon in 1995. One owner and she likes to say "NO it is NOT for SALE!!!" (before you even ask) :lol3

[​IMG]
    davyjones and bpc like this.
  8. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all- newbie here. Not new to bikes, been riding since '68. Last 20 years or so have been mainly euro bikes, Ducati, Guzzi and the occasional Beemer. Self maintained. I sold my RSL 1100 BMW due to knee replacement issues making it painful to ride. Bought a V Star 1100 Yammie as a replacement. Great bike. Reliable, handles ok for a cruiser. It just doesn't trigger that something in me the Guzzis did. Local shop's had an '05 883. 15k miles. Full service and new tires + battery. Kinda groady, needs the alloy polished. Cleanup's easy, I restore vintage drum sets! I've got this stuff down.
    Well, the HD shop called. Said they had the bike ready, did I want to come ride it? After all the discussion I'd read about vibes, I was almost afraid to. The thing feels great! If you lug it in the wrong range, sure it'll vibrate. At speed, it's smoother then my V Star 1100 was. Really like the lighter, narrower feel. Feels a lot like my SP 1000 Guzzi to ride. Came with Screaming Eagle pipes and jet kit, Corbin seat, leather hard bags, batwing fairing, s/s lines, oil temp gauge, new tires, battery, and tender harness. Was at dealers, so it had full service and CPS replaced! They were about to up the price tag on it, but they honored their original quote! I'm very happy with it. Simple, and real. Already added Street Glide air shocks and Mustang vintage solo seat.......... [​IMG]
    Alexander B likes this.
  9. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a slick Sporty!
  10. s&s

s&s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's more than common, happened to almost every 4 speed evo I know (and to many late 84-85 ironheads, too). The magnets are not falling just for glue letting go, usually they fall off after hitting stator, contact is caused by clutch basket wobbling on the transmission main shaft. Ask me how I know... My advice is to avoid late 84-90 4 speed Sportsters.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice sporty.

Yeah, I had always heard about the paint shaker vibes too. My '13 has no objectionable vibes at all. Of course they have been rubber mounted since '04 so I'm sure that makes a huge difference. I've yet to sample a pre-'04 solid mount. Wanting to build a project sporty though and for various reason sorta think I wanna base it on a solid mount. Need to check the vibes on one first though...
  12. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm really diggin' it. Been riding since '68, and it's the first HD I've owned. Just spent too much time at Ascot, I guess. Glide's were what the old guy's rode..........
  13. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    When window shopping the last few bikes I've bought, I've had the rubber mount XL1200C at the top of my "first runner up" list.

A great looking bike, the 4.5 tank makes it a workable choice for the road trips I like.... and while the prices are all over the place on them, I have seen some excellent low mile examples in the sub-$6k range.
  14. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I bought a 95 xlh with a blown motor and put a sport motor in it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones, alpina and Alexander B like this.
  15. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Nice bike & great pics! :thumb
  16. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike! The 2 into 1's real nice...........
  17. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I like the exhaust it is a thunder header that I cut and welded so it would kick up at the end.
  18. jessemckay

jessemckay jesse_midwest_mckay

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Picked up this '06 883C about a month ago from the original owner that just let it sit most of it's life. As the second owner I have been busy doing alot of work to get er back up to par. Forks completely disassembled, cleaned, and fork seals replaced. Painted and flipped the mirrors, New – low rise handlebars & grips, throttle & idle cables, all switch & lighting wiring RE wired, fuel line, vacuum lines, spark plugs, tires (shinko 777′s – theyre nice), carburetor tore apart and cleaned up ( not once but twice ), all fluids changed, and I am sure there is more that I am forgetting. This Black Beauty is running great and ready to hit the road at the end of the month on a 6000+ mile tour around the U.S.
  19. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun! Got a side view? Have a great ride.......
  20. jessemckay

jessemckay jesse_midwest_mckay

Oddometer:
    Waiting on a new seat & sissy bar .... Ill post pics of side veiw after install and all loaded up with gear :)