The Mountains of the East

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Riff, Oct 7, 2010.

1. E-man

E-man 4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer:
    Great pictures Riff.
    We did the Railroad tour a few years ago out of Cumberland, MD.
    Very cool.
    Iffin u make it up to Pittsburgh, hit me up, love to ride with some other inmates:clap
  2. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doug

I feel more like a Cycle Junkie with every ride I take these days. The more I ride the more I want to, and I don't want to know if there a cure?! :lol3 This is why I have become a junkie to this COMMUNITY. It is like I'm riding on the WWW if all but vicariously living in some one else thread. Threads like yours, the Peach, Banjo others especially those from the West Coast. The rides are phenomenal, and the pictures are from Ansel Adams portfolio. Don't get me wrong I could not have posted this thread in pretense, but I do hear the call of the wind! Go West OLE MAN Go West.:rofl I might have to call on you someday to guide me out west, but until then these here mountains have endless adventures, incredible places, grand historical heritage, and the People. It's always comes down to the people especially the folks I have been meeting on this ride down this thread. I have a friend up this way I will have to hook you up with. He was a pro dirt track man who one time held the national title in his class [not sure of the details], who now has his own shop here in Cumberland. I have no doubt the man on the K12GT you saw on that gorgeous mountain road was above my pay grade :lol3. I am not a pro "GoFaster"! I just like a good fun ride not holding up traffic. :D RE my pics!? Self taught and still learning every day, an old mountain [of the East :lol3] man once told me no matter how old you get "As long as your still green your going to grow but start thinking your ripe and your going to start rotting"! Ya gotta love that ole mountain wisdom.

Later Gene
  3. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks E-Man. There are several Rail tour groups around the Cumberland area that are even more extensive and ride further than the one in Cumberland, not saying the Cumberland run is not as good, but if Railroading is a hobby this area is chock full of a rail railroaders dreams. Don't be surprised if you get the call [no pun intended :wink:] the riders here on ADVRider are a different class of riders that I would enjoy joining up with. May call you soon. I understand there is something know as the "Grand Canyon of Pa just north of you? I'd like to make that run in the Spring.

Gene

4. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If all works out I am taking Kira out for a good run tomorrow. Not sure which way yet, but I do know I am not going near the State Park Nature museum at Deep Creek Lake McHenry MD. There was a guy there who was getting a little to cozy with the Appalachian Fox for my comfort. I let you be the judge.

[​IMG]
    You know I don't see myself as being the possessive overly jealous type, but I think this might be over the top! :rofl She seems to be enjoying this way to much! :dog

LSHICB

Actually the museum is a pretty nice display with a lot of good mounts, and information on the locals. As follows: Pictures self explanatory

One of Santa's retirees
    [​IMG]

This guy is know to be the forest smart guy and you might question that given his current status, but think about it. Eternal Youth?
    [​IMG]
    :lol3:lol3

I don't think I want to question the old adage "bark worse that his bite"!
    [​IMG]

Art! might make a good photo!
    [​IMG]

Not sure if he did not like his picture taken or what?
    [​IMG]

more art?
    [​IMG]

Hey! Indoor Snow Cool!
    [​IMG]

The Gorgeous Appalachian Fox
    [​IMG]

The Denim Covered Tree Leaning Bore DORK! [purt near extinct!]
    [​IMG]

Time to head back to Cumberland
    [​IMG]

Later.
    I have got a few more pics from the rides from this past year, and then I am going to have to ride a lot more to get some more pictures. I know it's tough. But I got to do what I got to do! Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me on my first thread. I am not done with this thread yet. I've made a lot of good friends who like me loves the Great Two Wheeled Machine we call Motorcycle. 98.8% percent of all these pics come from a motorcycle ride with Kira. The Fox came a long on and ever increasing frequency and I love that! :evil We are planing an over nighter soon. Has to be soon, or the snow will be a hindrance.
    Thanks Again To All
    Riff
  5. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have the gene which makes you highly susceptable to being a motorcycle addict:lol3 I've got the gene too. And you are right, the more you ride, the more addicted you become.

Like you, I've got a burning desire to ride out west. I lived in San Diego for a few years and have taken a few trips back out west but every time I read another western ride report, I wanna go back!

The only problem is that with limited time off, going west burns lots of time. I just did a few days of riding in the "mountains of the East" ...actually southeast, and it reminded me of how lucky I am to live near some great riding. That ride, as well as your RRs like yours, remind me of how much I haven't seen yet. It also reminded me that although we don't have the same majestic views of the west, there's plenty of beautiful scenery in the east.

[​IMG]

My RR if you're interested is here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630570

And last but not least, you mentioned people. I have found that motorcyclists are unmatched in their friendliness and zest for life. This forum has really helped me meet many of them.

Hope we have the chance to meet and ride some day. In the meantime, there's only one cure for our addiction.....lets:ricky:wings:ricky
  6. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I don't think anywhere near extinct!!!! Just well disguised in other clothes sometimes to get along!:D Trust me, there's a lot of us out there!
    Like your report and photos,,, true 'nuf about some beautiful places here in the East,,, maybe not the scale of out West,,,, but I can ride it on a Sunday afternoon.
    BUT,,,, do yourself and the Fox a favor,,,, and take a ride out West,,,,, Montana and Wyoming will make you a motorcycle addict forever!!!!!:D
  7. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Doug
    I'm a True Believer Brother Man! :lol3 Marietta GA not that far away, just a hop, skip, and a jump! It would be a great honor hooking up with you folk. You may get a surprise some day. Your got the time issue right; couple that with the monetary resource issue and there is a huge problem! :rofl

According to "Accuweather" the current temp here in Cumberland is 46 with a gentle breeze out of the NW about 8mph and Cloud Cover {don't know the ceiling for you aviator folk :lol3} and a few sprinkles, and supposed to get better. I'm going for it! Getting out the "Muck Lucks " [that right?] turn on the heated grips and ........ C....... U........ Later

Riff

PS glanced at ur RR and almost forgot what I was going to do. Iffn I don't ride here in a little bit due to inclement weather I definitely got some great readn material here. Saving the best till later tonight. I'll touch base with you.
  8. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Brother Man

Humor is a necessity, and a great quality which I thankfully find in great abundance here at ADVrider.com. :rofl Believe me Scootac I've got the desire, just need some things to come together. Hoping I might be able to talk the Fox in celebrating our 30th in the spring and doing that.:lol3 Not sure if she will go along with that. She kinda had her sights set on a Caribbean cruise. Being that it will be our 30th maybe I can convince her to celebrate it twice. One for her the Carribean, and one for me West on the Bike! :clap I think my plan has merit. Thanks Brother C U Later. Going to try to get some road under my tires! 40 degree weather and sprinkles can't help myself....... I got it bad! :eek1

Riff
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    A cruise :cry
    I would be stir crazy on a ship. Much, much rather be on the bike, or at least in my sports car. Or mountain bike.....or anywhere but on a cruise.
    I'm home this weekend, and maybe next. Then probably back to Chicago for work.
    Gonna have to put the two wheel toys for the winter soon. Hoping to get out while I can tho.
  10. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1, too confining. My personal vision of Hell is a Tour Bus. Gawd, I can't imagine... My son and I rode to Jasper up the Icefields Parkway a few years ago (if you've never done that ride you should, unbelievable!). We had stopped at a gorgeous overlook and had it all to ourselves until (no kidding) three tour busses pulled up and disgorged the hoards - we were literally pushed off the viewpoint by over 100 people all clamoring for a photo of the same view at the same time. We BOLTED.

We spent a couple of weeks in the Hawaiian islands a few years ago and I decided I could never live on an island either. Well, Australia or New Zealand maybe :lol3 . We rented a motorcycle (HD Sportster :puke1 ) and rode every mile of the main highway on the Big Island in one day, maybe 160 miles including a tour of Volcano NP. I guess we could have done it again backwards and gotten another 160 out of it. Give me the mountains and wide open spaces any day!

Doug
  11. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK Mountain Men!

WVhillbilly A cruise :cry
    I would be stir crazy on a ship. Much, much rather be on the bike, or at least in my sports car. Or mountain bike.....or anywhere but on a cruise.
    I'm home this weekend, and maybe next. Then probably back to Chicago for work.
    Gonna have to put the two wheel toys for the winter soon. Hoping to get out while I can tho.[/quote]

Hey HillBilly :cry NOOOOOOO Say it ain't so! Have to tell ya About 4:10 today I put google maps to the test! It says Bedford PA is 31.6 miles straight up rt 220 and takes 45 min. UUUUHHH NO only took 25 min. had the proper attire and despite 59 degree temp nice. :wink: Took my time coming back and got home around 5:05. It felt so good. I am going to ride as long as I can stay warm enough, and road conditions permit. Most of my rides this time of the year are south bound. Chicago! Not trying to button hole you here, but there must be a job that is paying insane amounts of money that would make me want to work in Chicago for the winter. OH that's right two screaming bikes and a Sports Car Ok I get it! I guess they Are! :lol3

Doug +1, too confining. My personal vision of Hell is a Tour Bus. Gawd, I can't imagine... My son and I rode to Jasper up the Icefields Parkway a few years ago (if you've never done that ride you should, unbelievable!). We had stopped at a gorgeous overlook and had it all to ourselves until (no kidding) three tour busses pulled up and disgorged the hoards - we were literally pushed off the viewpoint by over 100 people all clamoring for a photo of the same view at the same time. We BOLTED.

We spent a couple of weeks in the Hawaiian islands a few years ago and I decided I could never live on an island either. Well, Australia or New Zealand maybe :lol3 . We rented a motorcycle (HD Sportster :puke1 ) and rode every mile of the main highway on the Big Island in one day, maybe 160 miles including a tour of Volcano NP. I guess we could have done it again backwards and gotten another 160 out of it. Give me the mountains and wide open spaces any day!
    Doug

Hey Doug and HillBilly

You are going to have to give me some wisdom here on how to convince the Fox she don't want a cruise to the Caribbean, and wants a motorcycle ride to the Mountains of the West for our 30th anniversary! :evil Share with me your sagely wisdom that I can use to persuade her! Couple years back when the movie "Titanic" came out she said she had apprehensions about a cruise, maybe I need to watch the movie with her again! :wink:

Hey Doug I with you on the the Sporster. I have a friend who rides a Sportster .... No Really ... :lol3. I love the looks and the sound of those bikes, and I would probably have one, but I just can't bring myself to own one until I have MY Bike, a big R1200GS Adventure, a Triumph Tiger, a Ducati 1200s Touring, a KTM or KLR, in my stable and then and only then I might have a HD :rofl
  12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took a blast up Cheat Mtn on Rt 50 this afternoon, temp dropped 10 degrees from bottom to top. Tires were cold and not very sticky, had a scary moment or two then slowed my ass down:eek1
    Didn't have time for a long ride, so just up the mountain and then home. Just wanted to hear the bike run really.
    I am very familiar with the stretch of road running from I68 to the PA Turnpike, have made many, many trips across it. Not a bad time at 25 minutes, think it took me 45 minutes last winter driving by Braille (between the rumble strips) beautiful chunk of road there. Tho it is a bit straight for my taste :lol3

I have some pictures of our drive home from Seattle that would change anyone's mind about a cruise. I would love to take a trip west and do some riding.

Chicago in the winter is not fun, and I work outside. Really outside, no cab on the machine I run so rain, snow or heat I'm in it. I am paid well enough to keep doing it, and the bright side is I'm slated to go to Florida in late Jan or so. Good time to go to FL if ya ask me.
    After being there a couple times I don't know if I will take a motorcycle or not. Worked there before and thought I would get to bicycle a lot thru what is my typical off season.
    Between the really old, really blind old folks and the folks who think anything on two wheels is a target I think I'll leave the bikes at home this trip.
    Besides, the roads are straight there and what fun is that?
  13. Wannabee

Wannabee Survivor of Reality

Oddometer:
    Couple hours north of here , and well worth it ! Beautiful up there .
  14. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zounds Man sounds like your going to be in Motorcycle Purgatorial Hell! [I use the term in a biblical sense] :lol3. I must confess I was a bad boy yesterday. On my way to Bedford I was following a late model Corvette Ragtop out of town on a local street, and it was just tooling around catching my admiration, but going way to slow. Jumping on a two laner he was still puttering around [and I wasn't really pressing him ] he puled over in the slow and turn off lane, and I thought he was wanting me to pass him. Seriously! I started to gently accelerate paying my respect and he started to accelerate! His audacity pushed me past common sense and respect, and something snapped. Five miles over the PA border there was nothing in my review mirrors. I don't want to publish my rate of speed, suffice to say light was just starting to catch up as I left off the throttle. :rofl I don't like to push people since I don't like it. But sometimes .... well had a good ride. Kira is a bike like I've never had before! She is a land locked start ship capable of sustained High Warp Speed travel without a whimper or a whine! "I" need to show her a lot of respect for my own sake. Sport bikes will eat me up on the track, but on a long run, with a pro driver [that's not me] Kira can hold her own. :lol3 Well WVHB ride hard, ride long, and look me up when you get back in the wood hood! Keep in contact till you leave!

Riff

15. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wanna.... Is there a beginning and and end, a preferred route, hot spots and cool places necessary for visiting when traveling along the route? When I google the Grand Canyon of Pa I get a lot of great info, but nothing concise as what I just asked about. Can you give me the straight skinny? [Uh Oh - I just aged myself again with that arcane term :eek1 :lol3]

Riff
  16. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gathering a group of pics from a ride earlier this year from a trip up historic Route 40 west bound. The Casselman Bridge State Park.

Later
  17. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    :D
  18. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK Here we go! West bound out of Cumberland on US 40 according to Google maps 24.9 miles and you find the "Castleman Bridge" just east outside of Grantsville about 3/4 of a mile. Next to the bridge is a small period dated artisans village and one of the areas premiere restaurants "Penn Alps". There is a Period B&B as well. Up in Grantsville in a building that dates back to the late 1700s is another great restaurant call "The Castleman" originally owned and operated by the local Menonite community the food is good and priced is good. They also have a B&B and a motel next to the restaurant. Here then are the pics.

[​IMG]

Castleman Bridge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was the Spring and things where coming back to life.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

small feeder stream
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Field of flowers at the base of the bridge.
    [​IMG]

One of the Locals
    [​IMG]
    Maybe on migratory Vacation? Ok you ornithologists is this critter indigenous to this area?

If you come packing ..... [pause for effect] a rod and reel There are a lot of opportunities and fly streams in this area with some of the best trout fishing anywhere.
    [​IMG]

The Artisan village.
    [​IMG]

a metal working artisan's wares.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Period B&B dating back to the 1800s
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK back down the Mountain to Cumberland.
    [​IMG]
  19. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed
  20. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Doug and HillBilly
    You are going to have to give me some wisdom here on how to convince the Fox she don't want a cruise to the Caribbean, and wants a motorcycle ride to the Mountains of the West for our 30th anniversary! :evil Share with me your sagely wisdom that I can use to persuade her!

Well, that's going to be a hard sell I'm afraid... I'm not an advocate of motivating by fear, so I'd suggest NOT watching "Titanic" again :lol3 . Better to persuade her with visions of lofty peaks, serene mountain vistas, warm sunny days of leisurely riding through the splendor, comfortable night's lodging, good food (not campfire stuff :nono ) , and high marks if you can stay at a place with hot springs to soak in after a long day in the saddle. When my son and I rode to Jasper and back from Lander, Wyoming we were able to find places to camp almost every night that had hot springs and it made a HUGE difference in our enjoyment.

When I met my girlfriend (now wife) four years ago she had never ridden on a motorcycle before. She knew I was crazy about it so was willing to try it. I got her a comfy helmet and jacket, loaded her on my BMW GS, and headed up a good dirt road into the Wind River Mountains outside of Lander. We rode on good dirt roads for a while, cut up a mountain on a pretty rugged two-track road, had a picnic lunch out of the cooler that was in the topcase :D while sitting on top of an old fire lookout tower, then headed back down the dirt roads and home on some fast gorgeous sweepers coming down South Pass. When we got back to the house I asked her how she had liked her first motorcycle ride? She responded "Can we ride this thing to Alaska some day?" I knew she was The One from that moment forward. She's a rare one, though, in my experience. She would actually prefer the solitary joy of riding through the mountains to the happy swarms on a cruise ship. She wants to be warm (not hot), sleep well at night, and wants a shower every other day and that's about it. Other than those minimal requirements she's game for about anything.

I'm a lucky guy to have found this lady at my age (53), but if you ask me I'd say you are even luckier since you've been with the Fox for 30 years. Congratulations! I say after all that time putting up with a motorcycle-crazy guy she deserves to spend her anniversary any way SHE wants to, and I'd suffer through a cruise for her (think of the points you'll earn!!). Then the following year you can arrange the Mountain West Tour of your dreams. A friend of mine loves to ride and his wife just LIKES to ride. They live in Ottowa and he loves to ride the Rockies, so he'll spend several days riding alone across the Plains and meet her in, say, Denver or Salt Lake or Rapid City or Calgary. She meets up with him, they ride all the fun glorious mountain highways, lodging as described above, then she flys home and he rides four or five more days home. (Crossing the Great Plains is drudgery, sorry but it is, and she doesn't like it so...) They love this arrangement and it works very well for them. Just an idea.

Good luck, thanks again, PM me some day if you want ride ideas, and CONGRATS on 30 years of marriage!

Doug