The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. DominicDomingo

DominicDomingo axe me anything

Oddometer:
    Honda Dominator
    Honda CB1 (400cc) would be perfect for BC, cheap insurance and some 55hp
    Yamaha xt600 or xt 500

[​IMG]
  2. Africa_Twin

Africa_Twin Africa Twiner

Oddometer:
    I too wish they had a time machine :D

But just for the sake of it, are you able to indicate the full VIN? You can send it to me via PM and I'll officially check it for you :freaky
  3. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Are you serious about this?

If so, PM me and we could talk about 1 machine at least.
  4. Africa_Twin

Oddometer:

Uh oh!! You might want to re-check that VIN... take a look at this...

[​IMG]

Maybe you mis-typed the number after the M... it should be a "3" instead of a "6".

Assuming the "3" is correct then this is a 98 AT first sold in Spain on 31 October 1997 (warranty start date). The Model is a 1998 (W VIN) and the original Engine Number is RD04E 2800039.
    This bike arrived at Montesa Honda on 06 October 1997 and was invoiced to the selling Dealer on 24 of October 1997.

This goes correctly along with what I said above, in this case, the 1998 YM started selling on late 1997... common practice for Honda. Probably, there were dealers who still had some 1997YM bikes to sell but the customer wanted the new YM... this one was originally black (NH1 colour code - look for a sticker on the frame under the seat).

Now, if you insist the number after the M is a "6" (or any other number for that matter) you have a problem... all W VIN'ed ATs start their sequential manufacturing number (the last 6 digits of the VIN) with a "3"...

So check this carefully and also check your engine number...

Não precisas agradecer... :freaky
  5. DominicDomingo

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely right, it's a 3 not a 6. I had been looking at grainy mobile phone picture but now I'm looking at the bike papers. Thanks for sorting that out for me!
  6. Africa_Twin

Oddometer:
    Glad it's sorted :norton :1drink
  7. yeljac

yeljac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Transport Canada ( www.tc.gc.ca/eng/menu.htm)

Importer must be able to provide proof that the vehicle is fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year of manufacture.
  8. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently imported a '96 Transalp from Germany to Canada which in the end proved to be a fairly simple process. Of course you first have to meet the 15 year rule and also ensure that you have the original title (official documentation paperwork) of the m'cycle from the country it came from. Also a 'bill of sale' in which the following form should work in any province. http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/mv/REG3126.pdf
    That's it. You then pay the man at the Canada Border Services the GST in which they stamp the paper work giving you the clearance to go pick it up and in my case it was Air Canada Cargo. Besides the cost of shipping their was a $59 brokerage fee.
    If anyone here is planning a trip to Germany and is serious about importing a motorcycle using the above rule you can PM me as I have contact in Frankfurt who can help you with logistics. The closer the bike is to Frankfurt the better. He is also a motorcycle enthusiast who happens to own an Africa Twin. :evil Again...if your serious...drop me a PM.
  9. DominicDomingo

Oddometer:
    That's all very helpful GSPD and I might hit you up for some info. I'm lucky to be right by the port of Barcelona and have found a transport company willing to work with me. The agent I spoke said I could ride the AT to their warehouse and work there to palletize it, and also told me to really enquire with Canada about the legalities because he didn't want me to move the bike for nothing. I have the 2 only official Spanish documents for the bikes: the technical card and the licence to circulate, further to that I have the original receipt from the shop in Barcelona where I bought the bike used in 2006, so it´s looking good.

I will ask inmate Africa_Twin, who works for Honda if he can email me the printout from the Honda intraweb he showed earlier, because I can´t seem to access it myself.

I should end up with one of the cooler bikes in Vancouver and a great backroads explorer!
  10. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    Plus you'll get a cool X-Ray picture of your bike when it goes through customs, right Wayne?
  11. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's right...which is good for finding cracks in the sub-frame. :D It's not even a requirement to drain the gas tank. Providing it's not full to the brim or totally empty....but 1/4 full is fine. Only requirement is to disconnect the battery prior to strapping it to a palet. Crate is not necessary as you would only be paying for that extra weight.

Speaking of cool bikes across the pond that you don't see over here and a current fav of mine would be the Honda NX 650. Yeah...honda uses the Colours of Benetton on this model but i still like it. A great day tripper to flic around the bush. Throw some soft bags on it and your good. :evil

Following '96. You can find many of these older models hardly thrashed at all.

[​IMG]

Pipes that have never seen mud. :eek1 I want one. :D

[​IMG]
  12. alainmax

alainmax ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer:
    ...and i'm now waiting another 24 years to ship a 660 Tenere overhere !!! let s keep in touch , Wayne :D
  13. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Alain...sounds like you had a great trip in the Andes. I would like to hear about it someday. Well it's +8C here today and I'm putting my soldering/crimping skills to work with the installation of the Mosfet R/R into my AT.

Hopefully it will look like Jim's from Eastern Beaver. His pic.

[​IMG]

My task today is to install the following. :D

[​IMG]
  14. mechahayai

mechahayai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that an FH008?
  15. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's actually the FH020AA. More here at an earlier post #11863

Anyhow...I just finished the install and am quite pleased. Fired it up
    and it was still putting out 14.4 vdc with grips and lights on. One of
    the old connectors ( 3 wires/3 phase yellow) had evidence of overheat but no real damage.
    That connector gets changed with the new generation Delphi connector from Eastern Beaver (see pic).
    Those are the only 3 wires you solder for the whole install and then it all just snaps in.
  16. mechahayai

Oddometer:
    How did the final install go? IIRC the 12 and 20 are a bit taller. I believe Jim originally installed an FH008 on is AT as it is closest to the stock size. I picked up an FH008BA and hope to do a direct plug and play, but it's going to take a little tinkering to get it there.
  17. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I thought the FH008 had the same foot print and mounting holes as the 0012/0020 and it's the 0010 and 0011 that are taller? Anyhow, the 0020 that I installed now supercedes the 0012 which has the same dimensions and specs but with some minor changes to the heat sink casting.

The 0020 fit nicely on my RD07A as you can see in the pic. Notice the old white round connector in the middle which is not used now. I blanked off the inside with a plastic plug. Tie wrapped below that is the new Delphi 3 yellow wire connector (no particiular order). The hole you see between green and white connector was where the old 3 yellow wire connector lived. That connector gets tossed and was prone to overheat and high resistance.

To the left and in front of the starter relay you can see the new 30 amp fuse holder and the black and red wire that now go directly to the battery.

In the end their are a total of 5 wires that you need to pinch and solder (3 phase yellow) and the 2 pos/neg wires to the battery. I say "pinch and solder" because that was my method as I did not have a fancy crimper.
    Carefully bend the wire tabs over with some small needle nose pliers followed up with a dab of solder. Jim has a link here.
    pinching and soldering

This is an easy and worthwhile mod IMO and certainly a preventative one if your running old connectors that could can be prone to high resistance and eventual meltdown. The MOSFET is more effecient and produces less heat at the R/R so that the mounting/cooling is not so much an issue anymore.

[​IMG]
  18. mechahayai

Oddometer:
    That looks good. Thanks for the pic. Mine is a 7 wire set up so it's a bit different.
  19. gkam

gkam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can these R/R charge a lithium battery?
  20. SulytS

SulytS n00b

Oddometer:
    THIS IS BRILANT...:clap