I'm all in!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by FtheRedSticker, Dec 26, 2012.

1. FtheRedSticker

FtheRedSticker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself as I have been looking at your great forum for months now, and I have finally become an owner of one of these great machines.

I finally sold my Harley. It was fun for a while but never again. Maybe it just wasn't for me. I have been riding dirt bikes for over 30 years (thanks dad), and I am not very old. The adventure is for me. I bought an 05 Adventure 950 and I am in love. It just turned 19k miles. It's got dual FMF exhaust, Ktm racks, crash bars, heated grips, and new tires. The previous owner had good documentation. The water pump was done at 15k miles.

The only previous dualsport owned was an XR400 that was plated. But that thing did not feel safe above 60mph. This ninefitty is comfortable at 95, and that was a windy and cold day. I am still interested in rice rockets, but, I can't control my right wrist, so this bike is perfect for me!

Nothing big planned for it in the near future, just an oil and filter change, rear brake pads, and to ride it like I stole it! I am certified in Tig welding so maybe some panniers and a top case out of aluminum, but no rush.

This is a very useful forum. Thank you. I wanted to share some photos but i guess its not so simple. I'll look into that process. using an i-pad, any suggestions? Happy new year! :D
  2. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I've got a Roadking in the Barn I haven't rode in almost 2 years so I know what you mean.
  3. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
    Congrats.:clap
  4. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    Ok let's try this photo thing.

[​IMG]
  5. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    There we go.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that large image. Here's my 7 year old. A future Adventure rider no doubt

[​IMG]
  8. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    Still trying to figure out how to resize.
  9. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    ok, try again... :rofl
  10. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    wtf
  11. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    That was one of my issues with the Harley. It never sat that long
    , but I really never rode it enough. It was to damn heavy and cumbersome to wanna just throw my leg over and go for a ride.
  12. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stalked this forum for 2 years before I drank of the sacred cool-aid. I bought a 2005.5 and have not regretted any part of the purchase. Don't get focused on the farkles or it will drive you batty. Just flog the SOB! :clap
  13. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one seeing the pictures? I'm on a different device and I can see the pictures I posted from the first device.
  14. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not seeing anything.

You need to upload the images to smugmug or photobucket or another phots hosting site and then imbed the img code in the post with the "insert image" tool in the new post or reply box.

That is probably a terrible description, but the best I've got......
  15. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    welcome! enjoy the ride :D very different than the HD for sure :evil
  16. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its a Runnin BeeOtch. Welcome to the Addiction!
  17. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    I'm seeing the pics. That sure looks like the MX track at Hollister, where in Norcal are you?

Brent
  18. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    Hey. I'm in the Central Valley. That track is at Carnegie and those little guys are my sons. They love riding!

This is my daughter. She's 5.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  19. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying the bike so far! Replaced the rear brake pads with the cheap ebc pads. They work great. I'm gonna replace the front pads in the spring. Kids are in school tomorrow morning and I don't have work. If I can resist the urge to ride it tomorrow then I will do my first oil change.
  20. FtheRedSticker

Oddometer:
    Ok did my first oil and filter change this morning. From start to finish it took me one and a half hours. The next time I do it i think it would take less than an hour. Im not trying to re-invent the wheel, but it appears that a lot of noobs and perspective buyers are scared or timid about doing this themselves.

I looked at the nicely photographed links in the HOW as well as other posts in this great forum. These posts had first led me to believe that it would be a messy job with oil squirting out all over the place and only doable if I removed the gas tanks. I did however see a couple of members posting that they changed their oil without removing the tanks. Due to this I spent a few moments the other day investigating. I determined it would be very easy to change the oil and filter without removing the tanks.

This is what I did. First I removed the skid plate. Then I removed the brace that goes between both gas tanks (4 bolts). This is the piece that people grind a portion away to make way for a permanently attached drain hose. To get the 4 bolts off and the brace removed took all of maybe 3 minutes. This allowed easy access to the oil sump drain plug. Due to this being so simple, I don't see any need to buy a fancy drain hose.

Damn the previous owner had that sump drain plug on tight. Luckily it wasn't stripped. I had already made a funnel out of a 2 liter bottle, which I had seen done in the HOW. Cutting out a portion of the bottle for the gas tank fuel petcock allowed me to easily catch all of the oil. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the drain bolt had a magnet attached. Attached were only a small amount of shavings. After cleaning the plug I put some Teflon tape on the threads prior to reinstalling.

Now, being that I hadn't removed the fuel tanks, I did not remove or clean the oil sump screen. I think it could be done with the fuel tanks on but it might get messy. Maybe I'll check that screen the next oil change.

Next I removed the crank case bolt. Again very straight forward, and it too had a magnet attached. Due to posts I had read I was under the impression these machines would not have magnets on the plugs. Are mine stock? They look like OEM.

Next I did the crankcase screen. It had only two small flakes of metal. Then the oil filter, which I had anxiety about since it would tell me if I had a water pump leak. I didn't have any reason to believe there would be a problem but this being my first oil change, I wanted to get it done and go ride.

The oil filter pleats were straight with no waves. Whew! It looked in great shape, but being a paper element I replaced it anyways.

Filled with fresh oil per the HOW, checked for leaks, remounted the brace and skid plate, and I was done. The cardboard beneath the bike had not a single drop of oil.

Again, Im Not re-inventing the wheel. I just wanted to share this with fellow noobs or perspective buyers. Is it more difficult than changing the oil and filter in any of my previous dirt bikes and street bikes? The answer, No, it's not, it just takes a few more steps. Take a few minutes prior to doing it and logically figure it out.

I did take several photographs, including close ups of the magnetic drain plugs.