Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. jpr

jpr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I am pretty new to the bike, I bough the bike in November but I have only put around 1500 miles to it. With the boots, the height gets better but the problem is that I mainly use the bike during the weekends to go grab lunch with the GF or for a nice cruise and don’t wear the boots (hiking boots pretty much; not motorcycle).

I will, most of the time, either wear my running shoes or loafers of some sort that barely have a sole.

I will be wearing full gear this October when I ship the bike to Virginia and ride down to Miami. I don’t get too many of those trips because of limited vacation days.
  2. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the realistic response. I am in the correct weight range and do not ride all that hard. I will probably have this bike long enough to wear out the stock suspension so maybe then it will be worth the money to upgrade. For now I am thinking they work fine. I will make sure I do not test ride one with the good stuff and save myself the money for now.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  4. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    What weight are you? Is the reach to the ground better with the GF onboard?
    If so, try winding the preload out when solo.
    A lot of people don't adjust the suspension preload but then complain about the height of the bike. You should aim for a rider sag (that's with the rider's weight compressing the suspension) of 25~33% of total travel. So on the XC that's 65~70mm. That should bring the seat height down to 780mm or so which should be manageable even for your legs.
  5. jpr

jpr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am at 190 (very overweight) right now and working towards getting to 170. Tough I know but I have to.

With the GF it gets a little better but I still don't flat foot. I might do that first. I am going to stop by my buddy's shop and ask kit to set it up for me first. the races motorcycles so he knows quite a bit.
  6. marloweluke

marloweluke The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    +1 Cheap solution and easy to reverse should you get more comfortable with the seat height. Maybe even cheaper then a low seat option. Easy to do at home. I have my bike on the sidestand and stick a bottle jack on top of the rear tire between the inner rear plastic fender. Pump the jack up until you have play in the bolts securing the link. Loosen them first. You will need a torque wrench to tighten the forks back up after sliding them up the triple clamps.
  7. jpr

jpr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you guys think the roadie side stand would fit the XC without any problems?

I contacted Soupy's but gentleman that answered back said he "THINKS" the roadie version is a little shorter. Did not confirm though.

I am planning on buying the links to lower it a little so I am thinking that I should not have any trouble?? In regards to mounting, brackets, they should be the same right?
  8. ttime4four

ttime4four JZ

Oddometer:
    Not sure how much shorter the roadie stand is, but it is shorter. If you go to bikebandit.com - they will sell you one for $220. I remember an inmate selling his roadie side stand a while back -- so this group might have something to offer. The Soupy's version is much cheaper at $139, my issue is that I've just never been a fan of their design aesthetics.

Mounting of the brackets will be the same -- just remove stock and replace with new. If adjustable (Soupy's), then make sure they are at the exact same length. Think about using marloweluke's suggestion using the bottle jack.
  9. najisaurus

najisaurus Tigerist

Oddometer:
    If I'm not wrong, the roadie side stand is different from the one that the XC uses, as in the length of the side stand.
  10. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy proper lowering links, not those adjustable ones. Several cases of bad rust and at least one snap of adjustable links.
  11. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Posted these in the 'Garage', but doesn't look too active there. Figured it'd be more use over here. The original thread about mounting my seahorse case on the other side is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847083

Added a tool tube in the only free place I could find. Doesn't get in the way of anything for me or passenger so I think it'll work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. jpr

jpr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was planning on buying the Soupy’s performance because of all the great reviews I read. I wasn’t planning on buying the cheap replicas found on fleabay.

Moreover, I was asking about the roadie adjustable stand because I found a used one for a good price that will not break my bank and allow me to buy the lowering links.

What lowering links do you recommend?
  13. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look out for Mick in tiger800.co.uk

He makes excellent links.
  14. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Poweranger

Oddometer:
    Pics please when you get this done. I am thinking of doing the same to mine.
  16. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Poweranger as soon as this winter finally decides it's over, I'll spray it.
    More wintry mix headed our way again.
  17. Poweranger

Oddometer:
    I actually have the plasti dip sitting on the counter ready to go. As soon as I get some time off work when I do not have to plow the driveway I will give it a try.
  18. stefang

stefang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I'm pondering some good leftover deals vs used, I was wondering - what kind of mileage do people usually get out of the original tires and chain?

Stef
  19. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    20K out of the OE chain with a Scottoiler fitted but it did do quite a bit of dirty stuff.
    Tyres? I still have the original Battlewings in the garage 'coz I took them off at 1000 miles for some Heidenau K60s.
  20. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Tires are all over the map. I was down to my rear wear bar in 3900 miles. Others get 10000+ miles.

I've never gotten less than 20k out of a chain on any of my motorcycles, but I maintain them well...