Helmet / bike camera (merged) mega threadfest...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AJ2, May 14, 2002.

1. Direktor

Direktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much cost GO PRO 2 in USA?
  2. dhaynes

dhaynes Alpha geek

Oddometer:
    Currently they're going for retail price: $300USD

I haven't been able to find any cheaper price so far.
  3. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    Somebody had to get around to this sooner or later. Here it is folks, a mount for your iPhone or iPod with video. Now you have a reason to get that iPhone 4s you've been drooling over.

[​IMG]

http://www.optrixhd.com/home
  4. replayxd.ca

replayxd.ca n00b

Oddometer:
    i am now the canadian distributer for Replay xd Visit Replayxd.ca.... enter cupon code Dollar Shipping for ! dollar shipping Canada wide.

any tech question contact Leonard D'Arrigo
    416 841 0851
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'm not surprised GP didn't incorporate that into it's new camera, in many if not most of it's applications the user can't stop and do a loop save (skydiving, surfing, racing etc...)

These guys sure aren't
    <IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TaNBuqSuNqk?rel=0&hd=1" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

I film allot of dirt riding and I definately don't want to worry with saving or reviewing a clip while out there. If it was street, I might think differently. For me it's about the ride, filming is secondary so I don't worry about what to keep or discard, I film it all. The camera can do 4 hrs with the extended battery and the right card. I carry 3 cards and regular batterys for each = 6 hrs, plenty of capacity to get most rides and that typically edits down to a couple 10 min vids anyway.

Any decent film is going to require editing before it's finished, scene selection is easily done then. The editor I use has FF which works great for sifting through and finding the good stuff. Some of the best video I've taken occured when I least expected it.
  6. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I would like the option. You don't have to use it.
    Who said anything about stopping to do a loop save?
    The wifi remote they're bring out would make it do the loop stuff perfectly.

I film a lot of dirt too and working through 4-5hrs (extended battery) of footage to trim it down to 15min for the Tube is a pain.

I'm going on a 4 day dirt ride at the end of Jan and would kill for loop mode to make the batteries last...
  7. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    The loop mode on my VIO POV 1.5 lets you set up different settings for the length of the loop, and the remote makes it very easy to hit to start a loop. Granted, if you are Travis Pastrana, you may not want the chore of hitting a remote in mid air. In such a case, you use it like any other. Hit the start button, fill your card full, edit later. Choices, baby, choices. I like choices. YMMV. Whatever. Buy what you want. Just trying to share info for those trying to evaluate. FWIW I also have a older GoPro and might even get one of the new models.
  8. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Why would you hit the remote in mid-air?
    You'd hit it after landing to save the last xx minutes?
  9. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys...I'm wondering something...what is you preferred side to mount an helmet cam? Right or left?

I think that the left side would give you the best "overall" field of view for us that ride on the right side of the road but I'm wondering what's your feeling about it.
  10. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Depends on the camera.
    The GoPro lens is on the left of the camera so mounting on the left of the helmet makes the helmet take up less of the frame (unless you mount it upside down of course).
    Also on the left is easier to wipe the lens to make sure it's clean.
  11. Peirre O`Bollox

Peirre O`Bollox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gopro hero2
    has anyone noticed that the corners of the finger screw, the one under the gopro case, catches the case slightly when you tighten it
  12. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Using the long screw?
  13. Peirre O`Bollox

Peirre O`Bollox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im not sure, its the same one that was fitted to the arm/case when I unpacked the camera when I bought it.

Edit: Doh it was the short one, Ive swopped it around now its ok
  14. thejr22

thejr22 n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done a head mount for the Samsung w200? If so how did you rig it up? Any feedback would be appreciated
  15. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    After riding a very gnarly trail two up on Bikeopotamus, my R12GSA, I realized I need one of these cameras. I've never shot or edited video, but not having documentation of my epic ride (mostly because I was too scared to stop and put a foot down:huh) is now unacceptable....

Looks like it'll be a Contour Roam for me.

Steve
  16. wildwestrider

wildwestrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. dhaynes

dhaynes Alpha geek

Oddometer:
    Finally found my holy Grail of helmet cameras. I've got a big box of ones I've tried and discarded or broken. The Hero2 rocks.

My only complaints (and I would complain if they hanged me using an old rope)
    • The fisheye effect is pretty noticeable
    • You can't power it with an external battery for a couple of reasons
    • Batteries take a looong time to charge.
    • The battery that comes with it is almost impossible to remove if you have big hands or your hands aren't perfectly clean

Lack of loop mode sucks - you have to waste a lot of time seeking through 1 hour long videos to find the bit you're interested in.

Pretty much every else is excellent. Performance and quality are great, battery life is decent (~2h) a 32GB SDHC card will hold an entire day's worth of riding. Get a handful of spare batteries (the Wasabi aftermarket batteries and charger are great and super-inexpensive - $26 for 2 batteries and a charger)

Captures those "intimate moments" very nicely

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YH8sLiAJEds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Iyh1Gv8NKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/81F4Am0z844" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Tried the Wi-Fi/remote?
  19. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. NordieBoy

Oddometer: