KLX250 vs. WR250R vs. DRZ400

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by futuretrash, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad
  2. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're both over priced!:lol3
  3. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats for sure.

Yamaha wants $6000 for a 250??
  4. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought mine brand new for $4,299 + fees = $4,449 out the door.
  5. marbec1a

marbec1a Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As others here tout their personal favorites and present arguments to support that, I would just say to look at all the information subjectively. Make a choice that works best for you. If I read your post correctly you intend to trailer to and from your raiding area. If this is true you may want to consider a true dirt bike. One thing to remember about a dual sport is that some may be good road bikes and others may be good off road bikes but none will be perfect in all situations.
  6. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Rather than jump in on this rant I'm just gonna place my vote for the KLX250s. I'm not going to bash the others in order to support my vote. I'll just say this. It'll do EVERYTHING you ask for in the original post and it will serve you well. The price is right. The 09 suspension upgrades seem to feel pretty good and have a decent range of adjustability. It gets AWESOME gas mileage. The six speed gives it what it needs for the top end. It's a great little bike for the money, in fact the best under $5000 bucks.
  7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Flashman1, you seem to know a lot about Husky's but you said this. Have you owned one? What is your idea of "bad"?

I had an '06 TE250 for about a year and a half. I put about 1100 miles on it (it was my dirt/trail bike, didn't ride it on the street any more than needed to connect trails and I have a KLR for mellow gravel road stuff). I would still have it except I'm kinda busted up and the tall seat height and general high-strung nature of the bike just weren't right for me. The tranny has about the tightest ratios out there.
    That said, it was an awesome machine. I think HP is about the same as a stock DRZ-S (at higher RPM of course) and I thought it had remarkable torque for a 250F. I traded it to a buddy for a modded KLX250S + some cash (pumper carb, FMF Q4, WER damper, etc) - again, more because of my deficiencies rather than anything with the bike. His words about the TE - "The harder you ride it the better it works" - and I agree.
    I'd hardly call the maintenance "bad". Sure you need to check the valves. I actually never checked them and my friend said only one exhaust was slightly tight. They are really easy to work on due to the frame design and you can swap shims easily as they have a neat system where the rocker slides out of the way with the removal of a clip. I heard the 310 (not sure on the 250 or the bigger bikes) went to steel exhaust valves which should make them even more reliable. Trail ridden (vs raced) I think the new Huskys are very reliable and actually fairly low maintenance.
    The TE certainly isn't a good street bike but I don't think the OP wants that anyway...

I had looked hard at the WR250R but just couldn't get past the price (I got a really good deal when I bought the Husky). I would have had to sell the Husky anyway and the KLX trade deal fell in my lap - the rest is history.
  8. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys, the claims of 6000 miles valve maintenance on the DRZ400 are ridiculous. This applies for the E model, not the S, which is about 40+ hp compared to the 35 hp of the S.

I havent ridden the WR but have many miles on the DRZ400S and I can tell you straight away what its + and - are.

- valve check as per suzuki manual is every 22000 Km ++++
    - engine with a 3x3 mod is the sweetest thing out there, it redefines the terms 'low maintenance, sweet running, decent output, mid size thumper engine' ++++
    - subframe is built to carry stuff (does not apply to E model)

and now the negatives. Well, two and only two. Mediocre conventional forks and narrow gearbox. The first can be fixed while the second cannot.
    As is, the bike has an extremelly sweet vibe free spot at 90 km/h with standard gearing. If you are happy with that, its fine, if not go for something else.

To sum up, if the low cruising speed is fine for your sense of butt and you are willing to pay a few extra bucks to change the front end, go for the DRZ. You cant go wrong and for less money you will end up with a machine that is simpler, probably more robust and a lot more powerful and torquey than the WR. I am not averse to the WR and as I said have never ridden one. But in my sense of spending money, i prefer to invest at a 2nd hand proven platform and add the essential for me goodies, than pay twice off the shelf.

To the people who are on the WR vs DRZ wagon, I would suggest to spend a day reading the corresponding threads on thumpertalk. They will soon realise what a machine the DRZ is, in terms of flexibility, robustness and overall ability. Eddie Sisneros, the tuning guru of TT has repeatedly said that the DRZ lump is the best engine ever built. He tunes them up to 500cc and 60hp with no reliabilty issues. This is telling.

Unfortunately i sold mine as i wanted a better long distance thumper, but if it hadnt be for the gearbox, i would still be riding it. Having said that, when i get some cash, i will buy one again. But this time I will get the motard version (DRZ400SM) which boasts a set of USD forks up front, stiffer springs, better brake and relace the wheels to enduro size.

I hope that helps to add to the confusion.
  9. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    Very well written accessment!

If it hadn't been for the tight geabox I think alot of people would still own one:D
  10. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my experience too. I loved my DRZ had a bigger tank, a FCR carb, Corbin seat and other farkels, but the transmission drove me nuts. I was using it as a true dual sport - freeway to single track - and hated the close range transmission - never seemed to have a low enough 1st or a high enough 5th gear.
  11. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Another anecdote:

I used to have a fleet of dirtbikes and couldn't pay my buddies to come ride with me so I sold most of them but kept my CR500.

Years later, same buddies now have bikes, but they are plated. One an XR250 and another a DRZ400S. It is readily apparent that my CR is overkill for the trails they want to ride, and I am not plated so forget about that. I buy a KTM 525 EXC.

That started a chain reaction because now the XR250 is exposed as a true foufou bike and the DRZ is no longer a decent trail bike for the speeds we were beginning to run at. That and the fact that running pavement became a necessity for connecting trails was all it took for both those bikes to be replaced by KTM RFS bikes.

It is virtually a sea of orange now when we go riding. Two 525s, a 530, a 450, a 400 and even a 250 RFS, all plated. There are still a few holdouts, one on a done up XR650L, one on a big-bore KLX250S and another on a DRZ400S but it's just a matter of time.:wink:

Sean :bmwrider
  12. futuretrash

futuretrash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, fantastic responses, I really appreciate the input. Some quick clarifications:

- The KTM/Huskys are very appealing but just too much money for my first bike back to riding after 15 years not on a bike (my bike before was a '72 Honda CB).

- My mechanical abilities will need to get up to speed, a bike with low maintanence will be good for me I believe as I get used to changing tires, cleaning air filter and changing oil before I try and tackle valve checks and other mechanical challenges. This + cost is what makes me apprehensive about the Huskies + KTMs.

- Also: I have a little bit of fear of being the noob with the bad ass bike not knowing how to ride something made for a rider with more experience than me. The WR/KLX/DRZ all seem like bikes that a guy new to riding dirt would be able to handle both mechanically and physically. I do have to say I jumped on an Aprilla and a KTM at the NYC bike show and they just immediately felt to me like Mountain Bikes with jet engines strapped to them.

- I have a lot of BMX and then as I got older MTN bike experience. Also lots of experience outdoors on my own (WHisper light stove=check, ultralight tent and bag=check). This is why I want to ride, dirt + camping = adult adventure.

- Clearly it seems like the WR250R is the choice for me, but the cost, ouch! 2+k for a used DRZ, compared to 5K+ for wrr. Hmmm.

- The KLX I'm attracted to be=cause it actually seems a little low key. But will I get tired of this bike quickly? It's gotten some good recommendations but I haven't heard much on it. The price is right that's for sure.

- Lastly, the DRZ I can put the balls of my feet down, the KLX I believe I can almost flat foot. The WRR!! I almost dropped the thing at the bike show (yeah I was "that guy") getting off of it, that thing is tall! And I'm 5'10".

- I'm surprised I haven't heard the "Get an old DR350 or DRZ and ride it until you know what you're doing then spend some money on a better bike". I heard one mention of an older DRZ as a possibility.

Thanks for all the input. Please keep it coming!
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    25lbs in the dirt is HUGE. Yup, you don't get it.
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    So's my 450 EXC, still a race bike.
  15. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Only if you're stupid enough to pay MSRP for a bike.
  16. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    A note on the WRR's height. It is the only bike out of all of these that actually comes with an adjustable rear suspension height. They are turned up out of the crate and that's why it seemed so tall on the showroom floor. A simple screw on the bottom of the shock will lower it by more than an inch, which really makes a difference. If that still isn't enough, you can drop the spring pre-load (which comes set at the half-way point) to lower the rear even more. Again . . . if that isn't enough, there is a Yamalink available that will drop it yet another inch. Don't let the tall seat height in the showroom floor turn you off.

Also, I have spent time on a DR350 and while the motor is excellent and the suspension is decent for trail riding, that thing has to be one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden. Seriously. I was sore in less than an hour and I had to ride that contraption for half a day. I can ride the WRR ALL DAY without even a hint of fatigue or discomfort.
  17. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Albie . . . have you had a chance to ride a WRR yet? I seem to recall that most (if not all) of the plethora of bikes in your stable are of the *ahem* larger bore variety. I just find it kind of surprising that you are somewhat defending this wimpy little 250 :lol3
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    LOL, yup kinda funny I guess. Just that I'm not so ignorant to write off the little thumpers. Actually. just got rid of my big WR and have been contemplating getting the WRR. :D May hold off on that as I'm in the process of prepping the SXV for the track. If I start doing a lot track days my dirt riding is gonna slow down a bit.
  19. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes but the 50 + hp on my Husky is Huger,

Its not like I have never ridden little underpowered thumpers - my favorite was the XR200 - would only do 55 MPH but was a tractor off road. I also have a Super Sherpa.

It is the deep sand, long steep uphills and especially the paved roads with headwinds and steep inclines where you can't have too much power (if you know how to use it).
  20. futuretrash

futuretrash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any more reflection on the KLX?

- "tbirdsp", you mentioned you went from a KTM to a KLX, that seems like an unlikely move, can you tell me more about how you feel about the KLX? Is it underpowered at times?

It sounds like a very manageable bike to me...but maybe that's the "fear of a big bike" syndrome I have.

Also: Thanks for th einfo on the WR height, if I can take it down an inch or even 2 I'll be perfect for that bike.

The price thought: Ouch! Maybe I can find someone who's NEEDS to sell theirs?