Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Also check out the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. I went to REI and looked at all the packed tents in their storage area and picked out the ones that had the smallest stuff sack. That was one of the smallest. The lighter the tent though, the flimsier the material. Worked great in a two week trip to Utah last summer, but I feel like I need to "Baby it" (Probabably not a bad thing).
  2. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    Hey!

Here's a little photo of my last trip, last weekend..

[​IMG]

Greetings!
  3. carloscyclecare

carloscyclecare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. carloscyclecare

Oddometer:
    The XR200 does well in cruising speed on the road. Max out the rpm and vibration will take it's toll on you, this is most particularly a problem for me as I have tendonitis. Wrapping foam on the grips does help though.
  5. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that a 125?
  6. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda XR250 Tornado , DOHC air cooled motor..
    Same motor as in the New XRE 300 , CB250R & bored out in the
    CB300R...

great wee bikes.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

Nice, wish they were available here.
  8. carloscyclecare

Oddometer:
    That's a nice bike. What tires are you using?
  9. carloscyclecare

Oddometer:
    Usually just sleep out though...
    [​IMG]

This is just beautiful! Is that some kind of deep pit behind you? :eek1
  10. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shinko 705 front , rear...

[​IMG]
    ewagman likes this.
  11. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know, I'm not sure how deep that one is. They're often filled with water, and we never got any Sun in that alcove, you couldn't see the bottom. Wouldn't want to fall in either way, it can be pretty hard getting out of them...

[​IMG]

This one is considerably more 'user friendly' :)

[​IMG]
  12. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point regarding the "what I can do without" part.

I've refined my setup over the past couple of years - getting rid of stuff that simply doesn't work for me - while experimenting with other gear. Over time - you realize there are certain items you just can't live without and they become a mainstay in your setup. Obviously, what I can't live without is likely different from what others can't live without.

With my CBR125R - just like my other bikes - the focus for me is a great night's sleep while camping (I refuse to stay in motels). I've tried many variations. The one that consistently allows me to sleep like I am at home involves....

1) A camp-time roll-a-cot (only 10 lbs) with my Nemo Cosmo Air insulated mattress (packs small, is insulated, and the built-in foot pump allows me to inflate it in about 30 seconds) on top. And a thick, comfy, warm sleeping bag on top of the mattress. The cot allows me to place my helmet and other gear underneath it - to save space in the tent. And it is a real treat to get dressed while sitting on the edge of the cot - like a bed - in the morning. I often find myself over-sleeping with this setup - because it is just so damn comfortable and cozy - I don't want to get up. And it is always great to face another day of riding when you feel so fresh and rested.

2) A Nemo Moki single-walled tent. Quick to set up. Lightweight. Completely waterproof. Packs down very small. And I never ever have to fiddle around with a tent fly again (or lose it) - not to mention the extra time it takes to drape it over the tent and peg it down.

3) Ortlieb dry tailbag and saddles. I wish I would have purchased these the first time around. Now I never have to put on rain covers ever again. All my gear stays dry all the time. I'll never go back.

4) A waterproof Kriega US20 tankbag that I plan to try out this summer. However, the Icon Urban Tankbag has many pockets, holds all my maps and little items, and easily carries two large drinks and food for the day.

5) Ortlieb saddles that carry extra clothes, chain wax, tools, sandals, mp3 player with speakers, toiletry travel bag, and various other essentials. That's everything I need.

You can read about my recent trip here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813500&highlight=nanabijou

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. djvx

djvx Ride Safe!

Oddometer:
    i did a detailed write up either in this thread or the Long Term klx250s thread. As someone pointed out earlier its the Harbor Frieght face shield, it's the better one they sell. I removed the headgear, flipped it upsidedown and used the attachment hardware from the discarded headgear to mount it to the bike. Took like 20 minutes and cost like $15.
  14. djvx

djvx Ride Safe!

Oddometer:
    See previous post
  15. djvx

djvx Ride Safe!

Oddometer:
    thought i'd repost
  16. AleXtz

AleXtz Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer:
  17. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    The beaches of the state of Oaxaca are amazing. In the early 80's, Puerto Escondido was a little fishing village. You couldn't even find a surfboard for sale then. Luckily Miguel, the local board repairman could hook you up with something to ride. And Zipolite??? Back in the day it was the place to be, hammock living and the best bodysurfing anywhere. Huge waves, sandy bottoms.Almost died there a couple times having too much fun.

But alas, nothing lasts forever and there are hotels from one end to the other. Still a magical place though.
  18. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was there Saturday but some how missed lois, was she there all three days or what ? I'm really bummed I missed her!! CMS
  19. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice, thank you!

Sarah
  20. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    Hey Pete!

How are you man? Haven't read of you in a quite a while..
    How's your Tornado and its sidecar?

I had a little question I wanted to ask you earlier, but I forgot to..
    What kind of riding are you doing to your bike and what gearing are you using?

Using the standard 13-38 for a mix on and off riding is great, but I get to feel that a taller gearing, with a 14 or 15 teeth front sprocket would be better for the on riding, however, I'm afraid that swap to change the bike's response in off road riding..
    With the standard gearing I can go at 100Km/h (of the speedo) all day long, and I can get about 115 or 120Km/h (again, of the speedo) to pass trucks and slower vehicles. And it has a really nice response off road, I have never got stucked in mud or such things..

Another user's opinion would be great..
    Greetings!