Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GR8ADV, Jul 26, 2010.

1. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    I totally agree!! Awesoem trip report :clap:freaky

I've done a very similar trip twice now with my son. Not on a bike, but we did go to the same places... backpacked, kayaked the Yukon river (500 miles.. my son paddled his own kayak at 11 years old!) trekked on the tundra, backapacked the Chilkoot trail..... all when my son was 11 years old.

You can come with a milliion excuses why you "can't" do this.... All I can say, "can't" is not a word we use in our house. Everyone should do something like this at least once in thier life. To do it with your children is comendable.

Our 3 month trip up north in 2007:
    http://rubikonthewaynorth.blogspot.com/

Current blog:
    http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.com/

BTW: I am going back up there this summer for 6 weeks with my son (now 15 years old) to do some more trekking. When he is of age, you can bet that we will be heading up there on our bikes.

Once you taste the water up there... you get very thirsty for more.

-GrizzLee
  2. SkiFlyRide

SkiFlyRide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GR8ADV, thank you so much for taking the time to write up this RR. This is the trip that my wife and I want to take with our daughter. She's 7 now (the daughter, not the wife) and loves riding with us. Your story and pictures have stoked the fire to make sure we get this done!
  3. Erik500

Erik500 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've spend a few hours to read your RR from start to finish, and would like to thank you for sharing your great adventure with all of us here.
    It was a pleasure to read and see all these amazing pictures. What a great way to spend time between a Dad and a Son.
    Thanks !

Erik.
  4. gutsplitter

gutsplitter gutsplitter

Oddometer:
    Great RR - best I've read. Wish I had more pictures & better journal to remember the trip my son & I made circling BC the summer after he graduated!
  5. letz4wheel

letz4wheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheap Bastich! :ksteve Yup that was a joke lol. Some of the best gifts I ever got as kid were the ones I understood the least. They are now the ones I treasure. Thanks for the wonderful ride report, wanna adopt me? lol
  6. aviatorbdm

aviatorbdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As many have said, thanks for sharing the ride. It had some great info for my trip planning. I hope to do this with my son and daughter when they are old enough.

I will be interested in following your trip to central america regarding the "water for people" project. My wife is Guatemalan and we help with a stove building project for rural Guatemalans. We've been in Guatemala and Nicaragua but never on motorcycle. Crazy place to drive even in a cage.

Good luck and be safe!
  7. winger40

winger40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where are you located? I am in Bremerton WA and have boxes of Gerbing for sale!
    Eric
  8. 984gasm

984gasm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just stumbled on this adventure and spent 2 days reading through it. I can't wait to one day do this ride! Thanks to you for creating such a detailed, amazing read/viewing (even thought it was years ago, I'm so glad to have stumbled upon it).

I saw you said you never made it out to CO. I hope you have by now, it's one of my favorite states to ride; endless beautiful back roads to get lost on.
  9. advmoto66

advmoto66 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    :clap Nice job nice RR, I rode with my brother and another friend we spent 25 days doing a similar trip originating in So. Cal in 2010 to Deadhorse. We took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Vancouver Island that was plenty of time for me on the boat. Can't wait to return for a much longer and slower paced trip to really enjoy the hot springs and various sights. I enjoy reading all the AK RR's, as others have said to read and see the same places through others eyes and experiences. thanks for sharing.:thumb
  10. Desert John

Desert John Desert John Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just caught up with your RR. By now your son is a grown man and your relationship with him is vastly different from 10 years ago. But the bond you created then will never leave either of you.