Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. PirateDunk

PirateDunk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess again, I'm actually English in Australia, so very good at complaining by birth and already have contacted Triumph both Triumph Oz and Uk direct.

My primary concern right now is to get my bike back. It is my only vehicle. So much for putting my faith in Triumph.

All that Triumph Australia can do is provide updates on the location of the parts, which should be here this week.

I'll make sure I post photos and details of the gear selector shaft failure once I get hold of it. I'm a professional engineer and in my opinion internal engine failure is impossible with normal use. The gear lever would brake before internal failure!
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

No offense but, failures are always possible. Hope you get your rig back soon. I agree Triumph seems to be lacking in parts support from what I read but, I've had acceptable results ordering from Bike Bandit even on parts I thought might be very slow to get - always within two weeks.
  3. PirateDunk

Oddometer:
    I agree, failures are possible, which is why warranties exist and why hopefully this will be covered!

Lack of parts supply has also extended to wheel bearings, seals and brake pads.

If only Triumph would list the commercial bearing sizes like KTM do so that I could get hold of them locally before taking them out.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

FWIW, I stumbled across a video someone posted of their triumph making the same nose. Though theirs appears to do it even after warm up. They fixed it with a manual CCT. So yes, as others posted my CCT has an issue and it's probably the spring clip thing being out of place. I'll look at it this weekend once I've got my WR250R back together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sz7VXGxWonY#!
  5. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    what was wrong with your brake calipers?
  6. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this one...
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/national-cycle-vstream-sport-windscreen-for-triumph-tiger-800
  7. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
  8. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the speed triple cowl and screen

Sent from my Tiger 800
  9. PirateDunk

Oddometer:
    Brake callipers are fine, the disc rivets started to fret, resulting in lots of clanking and would ultimately have led to brake failure. I.e the floating discs floated too much.
  10. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Seems like this is exactly the noise most people have on their 800's.

Wouldn't that be warranty work (if bike is within warranty parameters of course)?

If that is the case, will Triumph accept a manual CCT as an option or replace with same tensioner?
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Mine primarily does it only on cold starts. When I take it apart soon I'll know if anything is broken or if its just a case of the little spring thing being out of whack. I guess it's easier and quicker for me to look myself rather than have the dealer look at it. Plus, if they don't find anything they think is wrong then I am stuck with a bill and no better off.
  12. fbj913

Oddometer:
    got a pic? the disc shouldn't move at all. the float comes from the calipers. if this really is a problem i just want to know whats up...
  13. PirateDunk

Oddometer:
    No pic, the old discs have since gone to the tip.

The Disc does float, ever so slightly. Grab yours and give it a tug forwards or backwards. It will move a bit. The rivets allow it to move to as it heats up.

Definitely not the calipers.
  14. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    All the above are available from just about any local Jap bike dealer (the callipers are used on loads of stuff) or bearing supplier. Yes you need to know the size but if you know where to look :- http://www.worldoftriumph.com/trium...ck_01=&block_02=100057452-2-2&block_03=560041 number 7 has the size in the title.
  15. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    That is quite normal and absolutely nothing to worry about. When I first got my BMW R100GS it had disc rattle that would get heads turning when riding on cobbled streets. It consistently got through MOT after MOT. After a few years I got fed up with the racket and swapped the disc for an EBC Pro-lite.
    I think you're being too fussy.
  16. PirateDunk

Oddometer:
    How many sets of brake pads did you get through before that happened?
  17. fbj913

Oddometer:
    hummm, ok. thanks :freaky
  18. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some floating discs have a spring-washer contained within the buttons and some don't. Just because the disc moves or rattles doesn't make it worn out. You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of Harley riders. :lol3
  19. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I was asking whether the problem with the CCT (noise, spring out of whack) was a warranty issue or not.

So let me ask this question differently:

If you have this noise at start up (and eventually it graduates to being there all the time) and you do nothing about it, is this going to create any damage to the engine?

If so, isn't this something that Triumph should take care under warranty?
  20. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is covered by warranty.

If left uncorrected, it will damage the engine. It can be as minor as casing damage, from the chain whacking the inside, which generates metal fragments. Or, it can be as serious as total tensioner failure, which would allow the cam timing to skip and bend valves and possible other engine damage.