Goldwings

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by kitesurfer, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

Nice. I bet it is still running strong.

2. mildhog

mildhog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. 60K miles. Daily rider to work. Wouldn't hesitate to ride it cross country.
  3. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to pick up a used GL1800 with low mileage sometime in the near future, maybe around the new year. I'd love to get a new one, but the price may keep me out of that market. I've seen some used ones in good condition at attractive prices.

4. LukeMacPU

LukeMacPU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It seems I'm getting off on the wrong foot with my '83 GL1100.

Just picked it up from my dad this past weekend. I had noticed last time he and I rode together, that his rear tire seemed a little low on air. I checked and sure enough, less than 20 psi in there. My dad isn't the best for motorcycle maintenance. Plenty capable, but he doesn't fix it 'til it's broken.

As I tried to air it back up, the valve stem broke off (dry rot) and the thing went completely flat. I had already ordered a new tire as the old one was used up, but hadn't planned to change it that day!

New tire installed, I headed to work for the first day on the GL1100. Things seemed fine, but on the way home I coasted to a stop like I had run out of fuel. Gauge indicated there was still gas, and I hadn't switched to reserve yet. It didn't help at all when I did. Long story long... the fuel lines had splits in them and the fuel pump was sucking in so much air that it didn't work. I made a $2.45 repair installing 2' of new fuel line road-side and away I went. Of course, the Mrs. gave me a good ribbing for having to be rescued!

In any event, I have new timing belts to install this weekend. I'll be checking valve clearances once that's finished and I should be good to go... I hope. The bike runs/rides well now. I'll be making a 700 mile trip in a couple weeks and would like to get some trouble-free miles logged before then.

Definitely going to like this bike!
  5. DynaSport

DynaSport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I'd check all the rubber on her. Could be a pattern forming.
  6. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Maybe check the crank and camshaft seals under the belt cover as well. If you're going to have the belts of anyway......
  7. LukeMacPU

Oddometer:
    How do I check them? Am I just looking for leaks while I'm in there for the timing belts?
  8. mildhog

mildhog Long timer

Oddometer:

This is what you need. A ton of info to help you.
  9. beechum1

Oddometer:
    easiest to say, is that if you don't see a leak from the belt cover, because it's not completely sealed itself, then your seals aren't leaking yet. I only mention it because it's a 30+y/o bike and you don't know the maintenance. Just a recommendation.

Here is another GW forum. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/
  10. LukeMacPU

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've already found that site and bugged those guys for a few tips/pointers. I really think I'll be good to go after this weekend. I'm planning to swap the timing belts, check/adjust valve clearances, throw new pads on it, and change the oil. May also check the timing. I've read that may be needed after changing timing belts. I've had a pretty lousy year or two with vehicles. What can go wrong does. This was just the latest example. My dad had ridden that bike for the last 4-5 years without ever doing anything but change the oil, filters, and front tire. He never had a bad moment with it. I've been dead in the water twice in less than a week!

Bike now has all new fuel lines, new rear tire, almost new front tire, the bike doesn't leak a drop of anything. Amazing what a difference the new rear tire made over the half inflated bald one! Made a similar tire change on a Suzuki GS1150 I had. Bought it with a spent rear tire and rode it while waiting for my new tire to arrive. Rode like a whole new bike when leaning it into corners. That tendency to stay straight up then suddenly fall in, was gone. Same improvement this time around.
    davyjones likes this.
  11. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
  12. M-Cat

M-Cat 2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer:
    That's a whole lotta cafe!

More like a diner.
  13. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's not a CAFE' that's more like an "ALL U CAN EAT BUFFET":rofl
  14. beechum1

Oddometer:
    dats sepsy
  15. HornHonker

HornHonker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And an air brake built into the gas tank !!!!:clap
  16. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
  17. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to buy a new 12 when they were first released, ended up getting a great deal on a close out 10'. Still waiting to see what the next generation Wing is going to be, the added bonus being the gtl1600 will have been out a few years....decisions decisions :evil
  18. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

I'm hoping to do something similar. The prices on the 2012 are quite high. I'm curious about the "next generation Wing". How much more can they do to the bike? A 2000cc? Does it really need it? I think the Wing is fine as it is. I would like to see ABS standard on all models. Then you wouldn't have to go up two levels to get ABS.

19. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Improvements for next gen Goldwings:

Electrically adjustable windshield
    Traction control
    Mileage computer
    Gear indicator.

ABS is standard on Goldwings sold in Canada.
  20. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

I'd like to see those things. The biggest one would seem to be Traction Control.