ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Lulu7404

Lulu7404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
    guilty as charged. a lot going on since i left for work. Abyss pointed me in the right direction. Your best bet is google. All tanks I believe will be at dealers like Carson, if they are not sold out.
    Thanks again Abyss. Came in last week. My HDB kit from Paul shipped yesterday, so I anticipate a weekend of wrenching. Spooned on my 705's today and holding air :freaky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First time to change tires. Neduro's thread helped quite a bit with "if it's hard, your doing something wrong"
    I got a 90/90 21 front and went with a 4.10/18 rear. It looks a bit small, but that rim is tiny.
  2. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the tires mounted up on my supermoto wheels last night. Put them on the bike and took it for a spin. I'll have a video up shortly and better pictures.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  3. smoose

smoose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about telling us what size rims/tires your using and where did you source the white fork guards, please.:D
  4. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    ME LIKEY!!!!! How much for the RED EDDIE LAWSON BIKE?

Bundy
  5. tenerejay

tenerejay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    did any of your bikes come with the wash plugs for the tank hose when removing the tank - Am I missing something here? I dont have anything to keep fuel from going everywhere if it has gas when I take the tank off - I desmogged it before ever riding it and had to use a come along to hold the tank up :huh - now I need to do the first service but I dont want to chance the come along route again
  6. Lulu7404

Oddometer:
    It is not gravity fed like a carb bike on prime. Its vacuum. I little bit will come out from within the hose. Have a paper towel handy. No big deal. And yes, I actually DID get the wash plugs.
  7. tenerejay

tenerejay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    can you provide a link for neduros thread - Ive been searching but cant find it - thanks

8. Lulu7404

Oddometer:
  9. tenerejay

tenerejay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the link! good info - im doing a 6 day run on the tat trail from oklahoma to tennessee june 22nd and want to do a couple practice tire runs b4 i leave

10. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Red Lawson bike? :huh

That's a 1983 GpZ 550.

[​IMG]
    My 1982 GpZ550 and 1985 RZ350.
  11. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Lulu7404

Oddometer:
    I did use windex on the bead, and the grease on the tube. That could get messy out in the dirt. Since it was my first tire change i wanted all the tricks. You might try to change them dry, just make sure the opposite side of bead is down in middle of wheel when getting that first or last part of the bead off/on the rim.
  13. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are the stock fork guards that I trimmed. I cut the backs off and notched the sides to clear the front tire. Ktm Powerparts sells these already notched and ready but only in black, grey and orange. Why not white instead of grey! Who knows...

17x5.00 Rear Rim 160/60-17 Pirelli Diablo Tire. Barely clears the chain. Had to shorten the front chain guide bolt to clear the rim. Also couldn't use the nut so used red lock tight to hold the bolt in place.

17x3.50 Front Rim. Fits no problem except the tire rubs the fork guards which need to be notched. 120-70-17 front. I've seen some guys run 150/60-17 in the rear and 110/70-17 in front to better clear everything.
  14. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. hyperliteric16

hyperliteric16 n00b

Oddometer:
    Took my bike on the street the other day to see how fast it will go stock. I hit 90 no problem with more throttle to go, but damm it was so squirrely I had to slow down. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone added a stabilizer?
  16. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done 80 on the interstate before, with a load on the rear rack, didn't notice any squirrels trying to steer for me.....
  17. motomark39

motomark39 I reckon so Supporter

Oddometer:
    The stock front tire is very squirrelly on the road, just about anything is better that it on the road
  18. Dirty in all

Dirty in all Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    I tried to do a top speed run on the highway downhill and I couldnt get it above 97 in 5th or 6th. This was at about 5 hours on the engine tho so I didnt push issue too much. I have the stock 6days extremes on there and its like riding a stick of butter on pavement. To be expected I would think. The front was super twitchy too but I also own a SXV 550 so for me the EXC was a pleasure to control. Get more weight on the front end by just sitting forward or you can get crazy and start lowering the triples on the forks or changing triples to something adjustable to gain more stability but for the amount of times you do 90+ ... you have to weigh the options for yourself. What gets me is the wobble from not being balanced. I dont balance my supermoto wheels and they are fine but Im going to take care of that asap, well probably when I get a new rear tire which should be next week. Dont think I ever got less than 600 miles out of a tire but I guess they didnt expect me to do so much street riding ? I actually love the front tire for both speed and cornering but again I ride supermoto so I like it squirrely on the street.

While Im on tires .. hehe, I guess Im looking for a long life hard surface tire. Connecticut is just all rocks and hard packed dirt roads with some pavement for me and I havent bought a enduro tire in probably 20 years so anyones suggestions would be appreciated :)
  19. gonridn

gonridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:

thanks for the kind words dave, we try.
    you just need to steer clear of them rough towns!

craig
  20. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was one of the first things I did. In my opinion, KTM's are twitchy in the steering compared to other bikes. I put a Scotts stabilizer with an under the bar mount.