ADV Riders in Chile

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by BjoernTheH, Jun 19, 2011.

1. emil55

emil55 sponsors needed...

Oddometer:
    It will be a metal crate (easier with quarantine, so I'm told) and no real idea when yet... still trying to decide if it's possible! Probably towards the end of next year... November through to Jan/Feb... something like that.

Thanks.
  2. snatchy

snatchy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out with a question about the TVIP. I have read some slight differences in exactly how much time is required between issuing permits - is it 6 months apart from the date of issuing of the permit, or 6 months after you leave Chile, or 90 days in any 6 month period? Might be best to ignore the 90 + 90 days permit for my question.

I ask the question because i had plans to fly into Santiago with my bike, do a lap of South America going roughly anti-clockwise and fly out from Santiago again about 9 months later. I am concerned that i will be a bit limited in when i can re-enter Chile with the bike the second time before flying out. Maybe it will have to be a bit longer than 9 months to allow for the TVIP timeframe limits?

Which one of these three is closest to being correct;

1) Apon entry to Chile, a foreigner can be issued a TVIP for 90 days then has to be out of the country with bike for the next 6 months. This 6 months starts from the date the TVIP would end. So for example entry on 1st January 2013, permit till end of March. Leave Chile before permit expires. Then a 2nd TVIP permit cannot be issued for 6 months after the 1st permit expired...which is then about early October, and the 2nd TVIP would be for the next 90 days (approximately October, November and December)

2) Apon entry to Chile, a foreigner can be issued a TVIP for 90 days then has to be out of the country with bike for 6 months. This 6 months starts from the date of leaving Chile. Then can get a 2nd TVIP issued. So for example entry on 1st January 2013, permit would expire at the end of March. Leave Chile 1 months after entry (eg 1st February). Then a new TVIP permit cannot be issued until about early August for the next 90 days. Second permit expires at about the end of October.

3) TVIP is for 90 days within a 6 month period. So if entry is on 1st January 2013, the permit is valid until about end of March. Leave the country before end of permit. A new TVIP can be issued in July 2013 for the next 90 days.

Any information would be much appreciated, or maybe you could find a link to where the exact rules and regulations can be found (my spanish is not good).
    Thanks!
  3. Acampao

Acampao WInd Jammer

Oddometer:
    You can get a new temporary import permit after 6 months from your last country exit.

A
  4. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hm, I read only about a T.I.T.V. And I believed I get an other one, when I go out of Chile and come back again (from argentinia or Peru. . .) But okay, I will see what is going on next monday. . .

Read a little more http://www.aduana.cl/prontus_aduana/site/edic/base/port/inicio.html On top right you can switch the language.
  5. snatchy

snatchy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Acampao and Horton.

I agree it is TITV.
    What i wrote (TVIP) is for Mexico or somewhere else!
  6. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    You receive / request a temporary import permit at entry / import at each border. You then surrender it at the next border and make sure you do it or you are subject to taxes. You will not have a problem unless you want to stay longer than the permitted time. Remember stamp in / stamp out and make sure you have the original title / registration documents and third party insurance where needed on you.

When you return to Chile 9 months later you will be issued with another at the border. Simply surrender this at export.
  7. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, in reason we go out to Peru, coming back again, going out to argentinia, coming back again, it will be a lot of paperwork.

Monday morning I have to pick up the custom relativ papers in the custom agent office in Santiago, travel to San Antonio. To do the T.I.T.V. Paper there. To be able to bring the bike out of the custom warehouse.

Is a taxi in Chile expensiv? Because, if, I'm not able to do it in one day, on monday. Custom closed at 2pm.

But, okay, my bigger problem is, to find a gasstation near to the warehouse. I didn't want to push the hack to far. . .
    [​IMG]
  8. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The custom agency send me an old T.I.T.V sheet. The most spanish questins are easy to understand.

But they want to have a "Descripcion". How exact it have to be? Can somebody make me a short spanish "Descripcion" of my "motocicleta con sidecar", please. . .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think, I have to do the same on every border, we want to cross. . .

muchisimas gracias
  9. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Description of your bike:

Year of , make and model,
    con carro acoplado (sidecar)

Go to Estacion Central in Santiago (Bus terminal TBS) and take a bus to San Antonio. Buses run every half or an hour . Don't take a taxi unless you want to pay a few more bucks.
    The subway should take you there to "Universidad de Santiago " Station
    http://www.terminaldebusessantiago.cl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=36
    http://www.terminaldebusessantiago.cl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=39

Third party insurance in Chile is not needed by a tourist unless you are riding a registered bike in Chile.
  10. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. This is helpfull.

Two days and the rest of today. . .
  11. BjoernTheH

BjoernTheH Chile

Oddometer:
    Horton,
    did you try them? http://villakunterbuntvalpo.blogspot.com/
    I dont know them, but I heard from them lately and they seem to have quite some experience.
    die sprechen Deutsch, Spanisch and English.
    aber wahrscheinlich hast du das Moped eh schon draussen.
    Gute Reise
    B.

12. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jep, I will try them next time. In the end, the custom was really easy. I expected more trubel. The girl at the San Antonio Custom was a good professional in this stuff. . .

So, if you see a big yellow hack, it's us.
  13. BjoernTheH

BjoernTheH Chile

Oddometer:
    Great, looking forward to seeing pictures of your trip.
    Cheers
    B.

14. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw you guys in Taltal on the 13th. I was staying at Residencial Paranal.

[​IMG]

I'm in La Serena now and heading to Santiago tomorrow. Any hints on a cheap-ish place to stay there appreciated. Since you guys were staying at a MUCH nicer place than I was, I'm sure we're traveling on different budgets.

Kevin
  15. gordojordo

gordojordo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are staying at El Castillo in barrio Bella Vista. Quite pleasant for a hostel, room for bike, and not too pricey with breakfast and wifi included (about $17US).

Google it for directions. There is another moto-traveler here as well.
  16. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jep, but, what did you do with your camera? I didn't remeber that the numberplate was so. . . . out of line, Kevin.

Tomorrow we want to reach Atica and maybe passed the Chile/Peru Border. Today, on our way back from San Pedro de Atacama, we saw a 12er ADVenture Rider. . .

Have a good time!
  17. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And you! Yes, your plate is out of alignment :D
  18. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think I found it (S33 25.861 W70 38.523). See there tomorrow.
  19. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course, Kevin. You are the adventure, we are only the tourists, packed a travel in the vacation of one year. Searching in the evening for a nice bar. "What? No french fries to the steak?"

And rearly, I like to see the pictureshows and read the books of adventure travellers. The TouraTech-West dealer have a very good program like this in th wintertime.

When I show my pictures to the friends of mine, they look them like a flip-book. So I stop doing this. I like to travel, but I'm glad to get a lot information by better informed travelers.
  20. COBob

COBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are looking to take the ferry from Hornopiren. The ferry leaves at 1030. Does anyone know of lodging in or close to Hornopiren?