Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Nice score. I paid $ 1000 for this one, but I'd rather have yours.

[​IMG]
  2. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    Red, I like yours MUCH better, as it's been unmolested.

Chris
  3. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    shit i don't know what an unmolested one looks like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this one was close, painted wheels[​IMG]
  4. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That back wheel doesn't quite look straight in relation to the rest of the bike. Could just be the light or the angle though.
  5. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's the left side case, that he said was damaged.
  6. inire

inire Browncoat symp

Oddometer:
    M'kay, walk me through this: did you buy that switchgear, and if so where? if not, did you make the labels and do that yourself?

Coz in terms of Shit I Have To Do Just To Keep The Neighbours Talking And My Mates Wondering, this is right up there.:evil:ear
  7. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    It looks like old-style H-D switchgear.
  8. dbg326

dbg326 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first bike, an '81 KZ440. Picked it up from one of my dad's coworkers for $450, with 11k miles on the clock.

Shooting to clean it up a bit on the cheap: so far I've gotten some Bikemaster Euro bars for it and am in the process of spraybombing the front fender, the sidecovers, and the tank since anything's better than the black/grey/half-assed puke green pinstriping... It needs a battery (starts about half the time), and leaks a few drops of oil every now and again, but runs great other than those minor issues. Also have to fab something to flip the taillight to below the rail, and maybe rig up some ammo can panniers...

Oh and get it registered, inspected, and insured...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    I kind of like the paint job. Good zombie bike. I don't care for the lumpy seat though.
    Welcome to 2 wheels!!
  11. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    dbg326 - you also need to flush out your front hydraulics. Most are severely neglected and can cause front brake lockup (the extremely small master cylinder pressure relief hole gets clogged). If you are able to remove the 2 Phillips-headed screws holding the cap on to the MC, replace them with stainless (stainless Allen-headed is best) as the originals are made from cheese.

Also - it looks like you are running the OEM air box and filter. KEEP THEM! This bike does not like switching to pods. If the air filter is toast and you can't find a replacement, you can construct a flat, rectangular filter panel by cutting up a different paper element.

For all things KZ Twin oriented: http://www.armbell.com/forum/index.php?mforum=kz400
  12. dbg326

dbg326 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Already flushed/bled the lines, and I did discover the tidbit about the screws..I got them both back on, but one of them is gonna be a royal pain in the ass to get back off next time.

I wasn't planning on switching anything out, as it runs pretty much perfect right now, aside from the battery issue.

The paintjob had to go, and yeah, I'll probably end up just picking up a used fender.
  13. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brand new 1975 Suzuki GT380 with no miles for $1200! Oh sorry that was in 1976. But it still was a good deal.
  14. gone fishing

gone fishing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine was looking for some cheap transportation, over the last 3 months I checked out every bike in his price range within a 50 mile radius. One POS after another. Till I scored. Perfect, mint condition Hawk GT with less than 10k miles. Some slight paint crack in a few small sections of the cowl as well as the silver on the gas cap, the rest is great.

Next up, lady friend of mine got her license a few months back and had me keep an eye out for something nice for her. Although it was a few bucks over $1500 I talked a friend into giving her his old Suzuki S40\LS650 for cheap. It's a 650 single, so it vibrates a bit, but she's a chick, she might like that. Bonus points for it being modern, an '07, and belt drive, so she doesn't have to futz with the chain every few hundred miles to lube it.

Recent score, yesterday, 1981 Hondamatic! Price was great (FREE) I just have to help my neighbor with "a few things". Catch is that it was in a fire, so all the plastic light covers are melted, mirrors and switch boxes too. Oddly enough the seat is mint, side covers are mint and nothing else looks damaged, not even the insulation on the wiring. Maybe vinyl has a higher melting point? Doesn't look like it was IN the fire, just very close to it.

This would make an interesting commuter.

I'll take some pics shortly.
  16. UncleDirt

UncleDirt Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer:

Seriously, except for the (electrical?) tape on the tank, leave the paint. Instand cred. I like.

Yeah, a modded rear fender and that bike is done. :nod
  17. dbg326

dbg326 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha sorry to disappoint, but the tank is already stripped and ready for primer/paint. The bottom half of the tank was wrapped in vinyl which was peeling back, and the quality of the paintwork was bad enough that I wanted to at least try something different. I've got Bikemaster European bars sitting in the garage waiting to go on, and am planning on ordering a fender soon.
  18. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    SHIT!
    I forgot that I got this old beater for "free".

[​IMG]
    in the spirit of full disclosure and honesty I must tell you that I in fact inherited the MV from my Dad. (RIP Dad, I miss you and I'm keeping the battery charged up & the pilots clean. :D)

Chris
  19. danielcut

danielcut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1980 CB750 custom with 8k miles. Pulled it out of a shed and paid $500 for it.

[​IMG]
  20. J. Thompson #5150

J. Thompson #5150 300-pound Gorilla

Oddometer:
    Still need to finish up some odds and ends but with all new rubber, lights, seat, exhaust built from take-off mufflers and scrap pipe, and a set of bags, I'm still well under the $1500 mark. I've only owned the bike since February but by the time winter rolls around I'll have spent more on gas and oil changes than what I actually spent on the bike. :lol3

[​IMG]