Norra 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Strong Bad, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Due to terrain issues alone a Sat phone is much better than a radio for bikes in Baja. If you rent a sat phone be sure to get the external antenna for the car, otherwise when driving the phone will ring and you will lose the signal before you can pull over, get out, and answer the call. Also top tip for using with the regular antenna is don't wander around while talking and make sure that while talking the antenna is straight up to the sky, not straight up from the phone (at 45 degrees to the sky). Sat phone signals are so weak they can be a pain in the arse.

A spot tracker is only good if someone is following on a computer. If you have someone back in the states following along they could then try to get a hold the chase crew's cell or sat phone.
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    You mean the one that was bolted on my bike that was working....oh, you meant the one you had?
  3. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    My Wife was tracking me from the States with the SPOT and it was not very consistent, it would stop for no apparent reason and then start back up again.
    Gave Her a scare a few times until She realized that it wasn't to be trusted 100%. Better than nothing though.
  4. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I thought it was off, it hadn't updated since some tight right hander where we presume you went off. I checked it every 15 minutes..... We never talked about it really, I thought it was off....
  5. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    No sweat man, just didn't want you giving out more false information in this thread:lol3
  6. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Oh my God. I just found myself agreeing with everything Strongbad posted about radio, spot and sat phone use for a bike in the M1K :eek1

I would just add that we got cheap throwaway prepaid cell phones and texting worked really good for communications between our "dispatch" and the chase vehicles. On the bike, we had a hand held radio in the backpack, but the range is so limited it is like having deer whistles....makes you feel good, but probably has no actual effect :deal

A sat phone in the backpack for emergencies is a good idea I think, that and a clear understanding of the use of the Spot tracker and someone actually watching the computer and making calls back home. We had DocSprocket as our dispatcher and he was invaluable with keeping us updated, organized and efficient!
  7. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    WE had both!
    A Sat phone on the bike and in our Support truck.
    I also had a Race Raido that only is only good for up close contact at this race.
  8. collie man

collie man mo fire!!

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info guys
  9. collie man

collie man mo fire!!

Oddometer:
    ..give thanks for the info and link
  10. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    I talked with Mr. Pearlman a few weeeks ago and he is getting some sat radios for his people to help with comms.

-John
  11. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After spending many hours reading over all the threads and posts, and talking with Crankshaft who was kind enough to spend some time on the phone, I am thinking of entering the 2013 race with my BMW F800GS

The bike is pretty much set. All I have to do is eliminate the right side disk and caliper, and send out the forks and shock to Ohlins.

Sorry for asking a question that I know has come up a billion times but regarding fuel tank, the rule says 5 US Gallons in chassis mounted tank(s). Does this mean I can mount and extra 1 gallong rotopax to the bike, or would I need to install an additional real tank with a vent tube? The oem tank is a little over 4.2 gallons.

Thanks in advance
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    You really need to ask NORRA questions regarding rule specifics, not the interweb.
  13. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

I already have, but have not received a response yet.
  14. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not worry about that !
    I know that they are working on some RE-wording of some of the Bike rules.!!
    Hope to see you there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

Good. Thanks
  16. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's great. I'll be another newbie there this year on a Berg. I'm not really worried about which class I end up in - just want to ride to finish and HAVE FUN DOING IT!!!
  17. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    All the more reason to talk to them directly. I would hate to go to all that expense and not be a legal entry in the class you were hoping to run.
  18. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am the one helping them with the re wording.
    I was the one who made up the two new bike class's (MI and MH ) for last year rally.
  19. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    OK, you didn't indicate that before.
  20. BAZZER450

BAZZER450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey I was wondering what peoples plan was for the first leg ? I want to get our chase rig over the border with the bikes and and then not have them cross back over to get to BOLA for the end of the first leg. which means they will have to leave the day before . Is there other guys that are going from mexicalli to Tecate and down that day(the day before) ? is there a better plan ? the chase truck is good from ensanada south but they have never gone Mexicalli /Tecate on their own (our wives). I guess there must a good number of rigs heading that way maybe they could tag along or something.Also wondering if there may be someone that is going to the borrego . SF area that would be an emergancy pit ?