Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    I hope Mark is documenting it:clap:clap
    Is he for sure on his WRR or his new Terra 650??:huh
  2. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    The 606 was mounted a month ago before the Kenda. The problem only started after mounting just the Kenda a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it is just a defective tire and I'm going out in a few minutes to check for it being out of round. It may settle down after some more break'in.

ps. I just got finished checking it and it appears to run between 1/16th and 3/32nds out of round. As I posed before not enough to get rid of the tire. just break it in more, and use it for light trail/offroad.
  3. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    UtahFox,

Thanks heaps for the link to HighFive's project. I hadn't seen it before and it's excellent~! Just what I was looking for.

John
  5. jkstehn

jkstehn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a light bike like the WR I see no reason not to run a 270 if you do street and mild dirt. They are soft and were squirmy on my heavy KLR but somehow wore really well. I think low HP helps a lot, and on a significantly lighter WR I think they would wear very well.[/QUOTE]

I got about 5000 miles from a 270 on the rear of my WR250R. Traction always seem fine in dry dirt and rocks of southern California. Still had at least 3 mm of tread in center when i swapped it out for an MT 43. The trials tire is wearing faster but gives me much more confidence with traction on the streets and freeways of LA and amazing reaction off road with exception of deep sand. K270 just didn't inspire confidence on freeway interchanges at speed for this noob. Felt squirmy and I always felt like I had to slow down to hold the lane.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  6. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NP J dub dub. Are you planning on doing it, or just kinda seeing how hard it'll be? If you do it, please let us know here how it goes for you :)
  7. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Just trying combos to see if I can find an inexpensive substitute for the OEM trailwings. I am running the 270 on the front and a 606 rear. Had it out today and it felt a little loose on pea gravel but otherwise ok on hard pack dirt, even wet surface considering it is a defective tire. Not a supermoto tire but it is fresh so it is holding on tarmac OK>

ps. Next up are Shinko 700 series, then following that a Duro 903/4 combo on Markk53's recommendation
  8. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    My WR came to me with Kenda 270. I haven't had it on the trails yet, but it sucks in snow :lol3 That's all I tell you until the snow melts. Anyway, as soon as it is worn out, I'll be putting Trakmasters on it. I had them on my KLR250 and loved them in mud, sand, gravel, and okay on the street till about 70mph.
  9. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Actually he brought both is KTM 450 and WR250R.. but I got a msg from him saying he thinks he's riding the WR so he doesn't have to worry :) :deal
  10. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

He was having a tough time picking one. Last I heard he was taking the Ktm.

Nice to have choices..:lol3

Had my WR to Baja plenty times, always makes it back. Did change out the fuel pump before the last trip.
  11. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Finally got a chance to put some miles on it yesterday. Quite happy with everything so far. I find that you really got to ride it hard to go fast but it is plenty fast when ridden hard. It handles very quick especially in first gear, It will just dart all over where ever you point it. I do really like it and it is fun, I probably won’t get to ride it as much as I should because I also have a BIG XT, the 1200, And that bike is just addictive to ride. The best bike I have ever ridden! Steve
    [​IMG]
  12. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Just because it is big & BLUE and says Yamaha, you can't keep sneaking over to the DARKside:muutt It's just :puke2bad juju.:getiton
  13. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    UtahFox,

I just bought an unused TR 280 Kit with the liner already installed in a spare cylinder from a fellow in Kansas (from the WR250R forum). I should have it by the end of next week. It may take awhile to get started on the installation though since I'm in AZ for the winter and the bike is in WA. I'll follow up when the time comes.
  14. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I love my WRR, I only sorta like my Tenere. Maybe not even that much.

The WRR is a ruthlessly efficient, yet fun bike that does it all.
  15. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Something good about simplicity...

I'm looking at selling off the street bike to finish the supermoto rims to have a set of roll in SM wheels with street tires for that use while still having the dual sport shod wheel set.
  16. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    I'm very likely headed down the same path. I really enjoy the WRR, SM wheels and street rubber would be a hoot.
  17. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. It feels like I have been looking for the answer to this for awhile but does anyone know what other bikes have the same fork and shock springs for the WR250X? I'm trying to find something from Eibach or another brand that I can find locally. Thanks a lot everyone. :D
  18. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    It was actually above freezing this weekend (not for long though), so I made my way to the garage and started working on the WR250R.

The bike came to me pretty much stock, so there was a "need" to get some goodies (or, as I explained to my better half: "Honey, I do need that skidplate, you wouldn't want me to break the engine case and get stuck in the woods, would you?" )

A big thumbs up to SoloRacer for fair prices and speedy delivery. Also to Revzilla for the same.

I used SoloRacer for Flatland Racing skidplate and radiator guard, a license plate bracket, new tailight, and turn signals.
    Revzilla got some business form me for a Wolfman Enduro bag (cheaper than Wolfman direct AND free shipping).

I started with the taillight and turn signals. That's where I had my 'idiot' moment. I took the parts to the living room, crimped and soldered all my connections, and then I found out that the mounting nuts won't slip over the connectors. Yeah, wasted time. But, with some pushing, pulling, and cussing, I was able to get the connectors apart again, and fixed the issue.

The next issue I had was with the license plate bracket. It was bent (at the factory, I assume), a little too much, and there was no way I could mount the license plate on it.
    [​IMG]

A couple of decent whacks with a hammer and a wooden block got it where it needed to be.

[​IMG]

The front turn signals were easy
    [​IMG]
    Next I tackled the radiator guard. It is a solid little piece, well made, but it could have been engineered a little better. I'm not sure that I'll keep it. It is rugged, yet I feel it doesn't offer enough protection from behind and down at the bottom of the radiator. Also, I wish it would be a true wrap-around design. The way it mounts, it leaves a little bit of the radiator closest to frame exposed. At that location, I'm not worried about rocks, but a small branch could easily get to the core if it came at the right angle.
    Mounting this was easy, except at the end when I struggled to attach the side plastics back. There just isn't enough room. I managed to reuse stock bolts, but I had to push my allen wrench through the slots in the guard to tighten them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The skidplate was the easiest to mount. It is very rugged, well engineered with ample protection, and the bends and welds are of great quality. Easy mounting with four provided bolts. I used a thick piece of rubber at four points were the skidplate ended up touching the frame - both to prevent vibration and protect the frame.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Finally, I attached my homemade rear rack.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Enduro tankbag is a good fit, and suits the bike rather well. It doesn't interfere with my riding position at all.

Now I just have to wait for the snow to melt so I can hit some trails. The last thing on the list (for now) is a front sprocket cover and a case saver, but I didn't order those yet.

I love the way the tailsection cleaned up with the aftermarket lights and bracket.
    [​IMG]
  19. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    Double check the bottom bolts on that skid plate. Some are a little long, and come VERY close to the engine case. A good hit might bend and or push the bolt into the case.
  20. japako

japako Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job on the bike. I really like the rack.

@daamud, thanks for the time on the bash plate..