KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. resqd1

resqd1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Michhub, I didnt screw anything up, looks the same, the space between the fork and the umm washer ribbed piece looked wierd like they should mate up like the other side.
  2. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    The right side of the axle is a larger diameter and tightens up against the spacer in the wheel, and the large axle bolt on the left pulls everything together. After snugging the bolt (you may have to temporarily snug one of the pinch bolts to do this), loosen the pinch bolts and bounce the bike with front brake and pushing on the suspension. Everything with settle where it needs to be, then you can finish tightening everything. The gap is normal.

[​IMG]
  3. resqd1

resqd1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah I looked at everything and it looked right, but it was weird to me, do you guys locktight the pinch bolts? The factory doesnt say anything about locktite so I wasnt sure, in my head I think you should
  4. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Yiu do not need to use loctite on pinch bolts but make sure you adj the axel correctly
  5. resqd1

resqd1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone running a fender brace on there 530? Guys talk about having two tubes and tools etc in a front fender bag, I put some tools in the bag and went for a ride on the street and the fender was all over the place, I plan on taking out some tools and puting a tube in there, but worry about desert riding and breaking the fender. It looks like at one point ktm used to make a brace, but doesnt anymore, any diy things out there? AM I just dumb and the fender will be fine?
  6. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 530 front fender is pretty weak. Especially if you are running an aftermarket brand like Cycra. OEM is a little stiffer but you're lucky if you can carry a tube and levers. Mine rubbed all over the tire on every little bump. The best bet is to run the supermoto front fender since it's a little shorter and a lot stiffer.
  7. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I realize you already have a fender bag, but I went with the Wolfman bag that straps right under the light crossways, rather than those that are parallel to the fender because I see those flapping up and down a lot. I'm thinking it exerts a lot less leverage cuz I have no problem with OEM fender and stuff in the bag. Downside is that it slightly marred the lower area of the plastic lens from a bit of rubbing when I had it really stuffed. And the straps loop behind the forktubes, so it isn't coming off.
  8. resqd1

resqd1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock fender, yeah already have the moose dual sport bag
  9. xathor

xathor Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer:
    Finished rebuilding mine in my living room and she runs like a raped ape!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did the stator and clutch covers with many light layers of bedliner spray.

[​IMG]

And finally... the reason for the rebuild!

[​IMG]
  10. fast4ward

fast4ward Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool Xathor - what did you end up replacing in the engine ?
  11. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Not the cam. That is still the '08 cam.
  12. xathor

Oddometer:
    I ended up replacing the intake and exhaust valve seals, replaced the piston with a Wossner replacement and installed a dirt tricks cam chain tensioner. I also replaced all the gaskets I came across. I had the head cleaned and the valve seats looked great.

While I was at it I did a lot of general clean up.

Oh yeah, I also installed a 100 watt stator.

I had a lot of fun working on it but I think I am going to sell it. It's a blast to ride and does 4th gear wheelies but I have been browsing the "some assembly required" sub forum and have a desire to build a CB or airhead based scrambler.
  13. xathor

Oddometer:
    Never had an issue with the starter or kick start. The ADC works as intended so I don't see a need to replace it.
  14. Storm Howlet

Storm Howlet The Storm Owl

Oddometer:
    Here is the one I use: http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/stb.html
    I don't put tools in mine, just a front tube and co2 filler kit.

the one StuInFH mentioned sounds similar
  15. resqd1

resqd1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

But no brace? I am looking for a brace, not a bag, thanks for the info though
  16. mbrick

mbrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice rebuild pics!

How could you tell the oil ring was disintegrated? Started burning more oil?
  17. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    The KTM brace was only for the older fenders, you might run into clearance issues at the bottom of the newer style mask.

However Pro-Carbon based out of the UK make a carbon fiber one for the newer fenders I believe.

Acerbis also has a universal one out of aluminum that you could probably sandwich between the bottom of the lower triple and the fender.
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Loc-Tite is used on steel bolt to steel threads,grease is used on steel bolt to aluminum threads.
  19. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I just took a small tool container off my KTM front fender,no amount of tightening would keep the fender tight + it flopped all around like you described,this with a very small light plastic box meant to go a ft fender.

Ive also tried the strap on tube pouches,so far Ive lost 2 and am done with them.
    Sticks/rocks/trail debris pop up and break or knock the straps/clips loose and off it goes.

I am now using some Wolfman day tripper side bags for anything I need for trailriding,lunch,tools,tire stuff,etc. Dont like having all the stuff strapped on my waist in a fanny pack or in a backpack,too much weight.

The weird shapes of modern fenders dont lend themselves well to fender braces,all pointy and geometric looking.
  20. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    If you are using a front fender tool bag, you have to drill through the fender hooks and the fender, and then fix them with a good strong zip tie. Otherwise it's just a question of time until you lose it.