KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. fleshpiston

fleshpiston Think bicycles, ya perv

Oddometer:
    Ok, a question for the KLR electrical gurus......

According to the factory and Clymer manuals there is a yellow/black wire running from the CDI to the starter relay. This is only present on 1990 and later models.

What purpose does it serve, and will there be any issues running a 96 harness (with the wire) on an 89 motor????

Thanks for any input.

2. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't be definitive, but . . . on this wiring diagram http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/Kawasaki-KLR650-color-wiring-diagram.gif , BLACK/YELLOW is a common connector to the battery negative terminal, or GROUND. Don't know if, prior to 1990, other ground connections were used for the CDI and for the starter relay; the wiring diagram linked shows YELLOW/BLACK as a shared battery negative connection, throughout the wiring scheme.

Before you swap out wiring harnesses, I'd suggest you take your ohm-meter and run a continuity check between the CDI and the starter relay connections and ground, with and without the BLACK/YELLOW wire connected to each terminal. If the terminals show continuity with ground without the wire, looks like machts nichts to me, suggesting the '90-and-later connection might be for redundancy and insuring a low-resistance path to ground. Postulation and inference, only!
  3. fleshpiston

fleshpiston Think bicycles, ya perv

Oddometer:

But very much appreciated :beer

That diagram looks very different from the one shown in the Clymer... they show it as being a direct connection, not tied into the normal ground circuit :dunno

4. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Here is a great wiring diagram link

It's a ground.
  5. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    Speaking of wiring, I was looking behind my fairing (05 klr) and noticed two open wires with connector plugs. Are these open and available to connect things to? If no, what is missing on mine. If yes, can I use them for lights of usb charging port or ??
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're for the "city light" on the European versions. They ARE available. One is positive and one is ground. The positive is switched with the ignition.

I use mine to turn on a relay in my extra dashboard The relay controls a larger-gauge circuit and provides power to GPS, jacket, etc. that I don't want powered when I turn off the ignition. If it was only USB (5V, .5A or 1A) I'd connect the two city-light terminals directly to the USB converter.
  7. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
  8. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Kbowling

Kbowling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone experianced a loud wrenching sound when on start up? It does it occasionly while cranking over more so when cold,Im belive its coming from the starter? Any help appreciated
  10. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:

What year bike? I know the 08(maybe all gen 2 models) have the so called deep hole problem.
  11. Kbowling

Kbowling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its a 09,I gotta ask whats the deep hole problem
  12. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    Goggle KLR650 deep hole.
  13. globalklr650

globalklr650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I am traveling around the world on a 2011 KLR650 with my girlfriend. I have just completed Canada, Alaska and the USA 16,000 miles.
    In the next few weeks I will be entering Mexico down baja and then traveling down central America to Argentina.
    I know the bike will be getting old as we travel so can I buy KLR650 parts in these countries? Can I get tires like the trailmaster and anakee2? What work would I do before I leave even though I am on a low budget? I was thinking my dohicky from eagle mike and maybe the subframe bolt because we are overloading the bike (200 to 300lb of max vehicle weight).
    If I am unable to get parts I will have to ship them to a post office but I am worried about shipping times.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>Any other travel advice would also be great.
    My girlfriend and I are also Canadain and we were hoping to go to Cuba from Mexico by boat for a few months. This could be with our without the bike. Any advice?
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks
    Alex
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    All 2008 models and 2009 models with vin 20800 or below.
    Check the last 5 numbers on your vin for the 2009.
  15. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:

Might want to post this in trip planning.
  16. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    First I must say you are lucky. Secondly, your facebook link doesn't seem to be working. I have only had a KLR since Monday but some guys here should be able to give great advice.
    Good luck!!!
  17. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    Check your valve clearance , make sure its good.

From what i hear, tires can be found. The 17" might be a bit more scarce, but there will be some.

Cuba: google Stahlratte boat. They just sailed from Panama to Columbia last trip across Darien til March, but they do go to Cuba and Isla de Mujeres in Mexico. Maybe you can catch the Mexico boat to Cuba,,,,check the sailing schedule on thier website.

this question belongs in trip planning(except the KLR maintenance eh?)
  18. serangelc

serangelc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Colombia, there should not be no problem about getting 'usual' spare parts within cities like Medellín or Bogotá... I live in Medellín, if you want to contact me before getting to Colombia. I will be glad to help, if you need.

Samsung GT-I9100 + Tapatalk 2
  19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "City light" that those wires are intended for is 4 Watts, or 0.33 Amps. They're pretty small wires, but I don't know the gauge.

I used the city lights wires for only a relay. I ran two 10G wires (fused) to the front of my bike and branch it there to run the clock/volt/temperature display, the GPS, and my jacket. A smaller wire would do OK, but would give low voltage readings when the 90W jacket is on.

You don't tell the ratings for your grips or vest, so I'll guess 20W grips and 40W vest for 60W or 5A. That'd be fine IF that wire is 14G, but I doubt that it's that large. 16G would just pass. Looking at the outside of the insulation I'd expect it to be 1mm or about 18G. JUST GUESSING.

There are threads about ONLY the city lights wires, and you can use Goog or Bing to search
    Code:
    "city lights" site:www.advrider.com
    to read many more guesses by other guessers.

EDIT: Even 18G will safely carry 5A for your devices. The problem with 18G wires going more than a few feet is that pushing 5A of 12V through that small wire causes the voltage to drop. When the voltage drops your resistance devices (vest and grips) pass less current and don't heat up as much. If it IS 18G it'll be safe for 16 Amps, but the voltage will be low.
  20. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at putting on new tires on my 2011 KLR. I can get the Dunlop D606's and the Mefo stone masters for the same price, $90 something, special on the Mefo's. Which one should I get?

D606 :lobby Mefo