Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Larry do NOT go to Oregon! or Colorado or New York or ......
    Book a three month expenses paid tour of Disneyland CA and Hershey PA
    Do NOT go into downtown LA or downtown Hershey or downtown anywhere ..... :rofl
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'll go +1 on Trice's comment that you don't know what you are talking about. How many kids in the US have been killed for their Air Jordans or their bicycle? You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts. Put your big boy pants on and re-read the State department warning with a map of Mexico and a highlighter handy. You'll see that the problems are isolated to a few areas and most of Mexico is safe. I know reading a government report is not as easy as listening to factually incomplete reports on CNN and Fox about the violence racking Mexico. Where it is bad, it can be very bad. Where it is not, it is great. About a million american expats including those of us on this board, live in Mexico and we are damn grateful for the opportunity. When you are ready to find The answers for yourself and stop swallowing the poisonous pablum the on the news, when you open you heart as well as your mind, Mexico will be ready for you and will embrace you.

Saludos!
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    And BTW, Larry, your sister was probably in more personal danger on the cruise ship than she was onshore in Mexico.
  4. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Free medical care? Half of Mexico? Where do you guys get this stuff?

A noob with only 2 posts and he's parroting the Florida Tourist Board propaganda of why bother traveling outside the USA when you can get mugged in Ybor City. Wonderful! :lol3
  5. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Pirate, I didn't want to slam Larry too hard on the "half of Mexico" and the "free medical care" comment specifically since it all springs from the same well of ignorance, jingoism and, and the other words that will bring down the banhammer if used on this thread. Larry has a choice, keep his mind and his heart closed as Trice said or do the work, find the truth (a lot of which is in this thread in spite of Tyson, and our other attempts at humor) and experience the rich culture, the warm giving people and the fantastic sites sounds and tastes of Mexico and beyond. Or, as Sojord suggested, just go to Disneyland. But don't leave the park, evil lurks in the darkness outside the gates.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The mega cable guys are stringing wires right here in Banamichi!. It's real, I talked to the installers. Que Bueno. Faster internet is what I want. Anyone if Mexico telcom rules enforce number portability? Mega cable also has phone service but I have spent a lot of money promoting my phone number here and don't want to change it. I'm doubtful with CSH and Telmex's grip on the regulators. You don't get to be the richest guy in the world by allowing your competition to actually compete. Any one made the change and kept their number?
  7. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who say dat? :freaky
  8. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turkey, dont go busting out the champagne about Megacable or Megared, I ditched them ages ago because they were liars and thieves with customer relations out of the stone age.
    Hands down one of the worst businesses in Mexico.
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Damn, MikeMike, burst my happy little bubble why don't you. I pay for 5 mbs of Infinitum service and have never seen more than 2.5. frequently sub mb speeds. Telmex says they are "working on it" or "It's a server problem" and it will be fixed by midnight. It is congestion plain and simple. They have added ADSL users up and down the Rio Sonora and have not upgraded the routers on the back haul. The state handed out small netbooks to the schools, they are all getting online through the schools and the libraries. And every smartphone is doing Skype over WiFi or downloading youtube videos of cats. The slow downs are like clockwork, based on when people are on line. My VoIP line gets so bad you can't talk and forget Netflix.

Now I am depressed. Maybe a ride will cheer me up. Anyone else with Megacable experiences good of bad?
  10. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Change the teacher to the TeeVee and change Johnny to Larry and we have determined the source of the problem.
  11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I understand Amigo. Part of me can't believe that someone could be that thoroughly indoctrinated by the US media, and another part of me says that we are getting trolled.

Reminds me of when I was a kid in grade school in a small Kentucky town and my dad accepted a position to teach at the University of Cincinnati. All the 5th graders told me that we'd get killed in 6 months and would wind up living in the slums near the baseball stadium because that was all they had ever seen on their few trips to Cincinnati. Larry has pretty much the same mindset.

That, and there really is a dynamic in the huge Florida tourist industry to paint Mexico as dangerous; this follows on the heels of some events over a decade ago when a British tourist was murdered in Florida and all the Brit tabloids said that Florida was unsafe. :evil

The tourist board claims that if Cuba opens up Florida will lose 20% of its tourist industry and currently Florida is the #1 destination in the USA - http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=95
  12. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    we need to free Florida first, then Cuba
  13. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    rotflmfao
  14. LarrytheDRguy

LarrytheDRguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I were you I would bring the UZI in the side bag just to be safe. LOL
  15. LarrytheDRguy

LarrytheDRguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like I said, To each his own. I think all of you ass kickers should form a posse and ride mexico to show them how tuff Americans really are. Catch bullets with your teeth. Sounds like someone is bored.
  16. LarrytheDRguy

LarrytheDRguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    85,000 murders in the past 6 years tells me someone is angry. I say go for it. I will hold the gate open for you.
  17. LarrytheDRguy

LarrytheDRguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    High five each other as you pass at the border. I guess I value my future a little more than others. I love that Larry Guy. LOL
  18. LarrytheDRguy

LarrytheDRguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All I can say is keep paying those taxes so we can keep doing these great things for our neighbors down south. I am going to ride the hell out of Florida.
  19. LarrytheDRguy

LarrytheDRguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was born and raised in Florida and have been riding almost 40 years. I can find fun a few hours from my home. Have not been to Disney in many years. They dont like motorcycles tearing up the grass.
  20. LarrytheDRguy

LarrytheDRguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didnt know the mayor of tijuana road a dual sport. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.