Guitar thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by rajflyboy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Mtl-Marc

Mtl-Marc Adventurer

Oddometer:

Oh yes! Always better, all the time!

Sound and feel and overall quality.
  2. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    +1

I played a G&L Tele for about an hour a little while back. Definitely my next purchase, that was a fine guitar.
  3. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    That'd be Dick Dale, King of the Surf Guitar. I'd like to have one of his Dual Showmans, and a place big enough to play it in.
  4. Volodymyr t G

Volodymyr t G Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How strange that Dick Dale plays a lefthanded guitar with the strings upside down. Probably learn on a righty, and just liked the ergonomics of the lefty?
  5. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:

It's strange watching him play, and seeing him hitting the upper strings, B + E on his guitar, and hearing those high ringing notes. That should be a "rumble" from most players. :D

He said he bought a ukulele when he was a kid, and started playing it. It was quite a while, after struggling to make the notes, that he figured out he was playing it upside down. By then it seemed too late to switch.
  6. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    Looks almost exactly like the Squier we bought my son as his first guitar (about same price). He never played it, so years later it became my first guitar as I started lessons. :-)
  7. pachap

pachap CANNOT RIDE

Oddometer:
    Here is a new family photo. Just scored the Classic 50 earlier this evening. Found in on my local CL and traded a guy my Blues Jr. for it straight up. I got the PRS S2 about 6 weeks ago and it really is an amazing guitar for the price.

[​IMG]
  8. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    An under-appreciated amp for sure. Congrats!
  9. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
    Amen to that. My other favorite is the Classic Delta Blues. Archtops sound great through that big 15" speaker and $650.00 for a new, made in the USA tube amp is a great deal.:deal
  10. pachap

pachap CANNOT RIDE

Oddometer:
    A Delta Blues will hopefully be my next score. I also want a good semi-hollow to wail on with it. I have tried a few recently, and believe it or not, the best in the price range IMO is the Schecter Corsair. It's amazing how good it sounds and plays. Fit and finish on it is excellent. Hopefully I will be able to pick one up over the summer.
  11. Mister T

Mister T On the dole

Oddometer:
    My pride and joy...'51 Gibson J-45 "Jumbo"

[​IMG]
  12. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    :tb

Beautiful. I really want a J45, after playing a few, and listening to a friend play his '53. :thumb
  13. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a friend that's the guitarist in a fairly well known (in bluegrass circles, anyway) band and he plays one of those that he picked up in a pawn shop thirty some years ago for $50.00 or so. Sometimes us bluegrassers can be a bit snobby and have the attitude of "play a Martin or go home" and they'll stick their nose up when they see his old scratched Gibson.

Then they hear him play and they shut the hell up.:D
  14. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I know what you mean - my '63 Hummingbird always gets "the look" when I pull her out. But man, does she have tone.

jdg
  15. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes I find bluegrassers to be the "Harley Crowd" of music. You know what I mean. Guitars must be Martin, banjos must be Gibson, mandos must not be only Gibson but F-Model as well.

I once played a bluegrass gig in Tennessee. I was sitting in for an absent member of a band. I kept noticing that folks were going to my open case and looking at the headstock of my guitar. A fellow later told me they were just making sure I didn't have a Takamine in there. :rolleyes

Luckily (?) I had my Martin D-28.
  16. The_Commander

The_Commander The Man. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Takamine are crap, in Bluegrass circles. Country guys will sing their assess off about America and "American made" while chording the guts out a Japanese guitar. Been meaning to talk to Henry about that.
  17. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Almost as bad as rockers. If it's not Gibson LP or Fender Strat, you aren't a real guitarist/guitar shop.:D
  18. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm not really a brand guy (except BMWs :doh) The headstock emblem adds nothing to the sound and the sound is what is important, right?
  19. scubabiker

scubabiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ive been playing guitar for a few years now (started on bass, played a little guitar, then they got stolen then i had a while with no guitars) got an ace uke last year that i play a lot, its called ukeIT or something, its a little bigger than most ukes and really makes a great sound, got a 12 string last month that i have been trying to figure out how to play, its so much fun but damn its frustrating. will get picks of them later, i have a cheap fretless acoustic bass too (swift music london) which i highly recommend, real nice sound.
  20. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    All this talk about brands, etc. reminds me of my younger days. :gerg

I thought that if I got a Strat I would sound like Clapton, if I got a Les Paul I would sound like Duane, if I got a Paul Reed Smith I would sound like Santana. Regretfully, it doesn't work like that. Thankfully I'm older now and know better.