The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. The same applies to international shipping...and is even worse because Fedex and UPS turn into "3rd world" this side. (No matter how much you pay when you order. How about paying $25 or so more when they deliver it.) It's such a sore point with me, i don't even want to say anything more. Some of the most unpleasant experiences i've had in life have been when i found out after i'd ordered, that they shipped it by some courier service.
  2. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've already replaced my stock handlebar and I'm going to order a brake snake immediately. I hope you didn't suffer any damages either! I always think about the bike first.....:evil
  3. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    HONDA XR650L. XR400, many years...but never mind, all you need to do is look for is XR650L rear sprockets.

The big nuts for holding sprockets on...are for holding them on, the nut screws on to the countershaft. The Honda way, of two 6mm bolts holding a retaining plate, is a good way - much better than the circlips like on KDX. So, the bolts are not holding on the sprocket, they are holding the retaining plate in place.
  4. 240nekkid

240nekkid Adventurer

Oddometer:

I just rebent mine back to something resembling stock shape and carried on!
  5. D-Real

D-Real n00b

Oddometer:
    It seems so obvious now... Yeah it works fine hen I turn th handlebars all the way to the left. Thanks for your patience.

I too have an appointment for a "new bike greasing". I'm glad I found out sooner then later.
  6. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    ahhhhh

Winter is finally loosening it's grip here in Wisconsin

it feels great to get out now that the snow is melting

going off road last night I got stuck in a mudhole

so I best stick to the roads for a bit

[​IMG]
  7. Wargasm

Wargasm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread got huge......I've had the CRF out a bit through the winter, now that the snow is disappearing it should get some more miles. I can;t get over how much stuff there is in the aftermarket now. But, I'm really not going to spend a fifth of the bikes initial cost on go fast parts. I'll keep it simple, works good for me.
  8. carlclaflin

carlclaflin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    howdy,
    all you new crf250l owners. while out enjoying your toy, riding some dirt. which of yous have fallen and damaged your radiator? I'm comparing the new 2013 crf250l and 2013 xt250 - yamaha. my skill is level is 1, so i differently anticipate in dropping it...alot. i currently have a 1994 yamaha xt225, which i dropped quite a bit last summer flinging some mud around. I have a nice NEW scare on my shin. :p3rry
  9. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The XR650R, CRF250X/R, CRF450X/R, et cetera, motorcycles have rear sprockets (JTR210) very similar to the CRF250L/XR650L/XR600R/CBR250R/XR250R (JTR301) motorcycles. Compare the diagram of the XR650R/CRF JTR210 sprocket on the left, with the diagram of the CRF250L/XR650L JTR301 sprocket on the right.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The major difference is the XR650R/CRF sprocket employs an 8.5mm flat head bolt which fits a countersunk bolt hole. The CRF250L/XR650L sprocket employs a 10mm shoulder bolt which fits a counterbored hole. :deal Compare the XR650R/CRF bolts on the right with the CRF250L/XR650L bolts on the left in the photograph below, provided by the courtesy of Rick Ramsey. Thank you, Rick. :D

[​IMG]

The XR650R/CRF sprockets are available in sizes 38T to 53T. These sprockets will fit the rear wheel of the CRF250L if you carefully ream out the 8.5mm hole to 13/32-inch (10mm). Then purchase six, M10-1.5x35mm, flat head bolts with washers and locking nuts to secure the modified sprocket to the rear wheel of the CRF250L. :wink: Many XR650L owners use this method to fit XR650R sprockets to the rear wheel of the XR650L. :deal

Spud :beer
  10. Boismj03

Boismj03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to getting the bars done...
    installed some grip heaters as well. Pretty easy just tapping into the hot wire for the headlight so as not to mistakenly drain the battery.
    The new Bars make a world of difference in the riding position comfort. Standing now feels alot more natural. I am not working the bars with my fingertips. Sweet! I stole Lost Riders bar setup minus the rox risers...I went with a 3/4 inch rise Tusk riser from 7/8 bars to 1-1/8 KX high- Pro Tapers. Put the pillow tops on hiding the grip heaters! Those are nice and warm even on the low setting. Other things are the 13 tooth primary, Cycra Probends, Ricochet skid plate, SR Moto tail rack, Giant Loop fandango tank bag, GL original moto bag and the tail light kit from 12 oclock labs. I am liking this bike more every day.
    I did a 205 mile round trip from Boise to some of my hunting spots to check the snow levels on last Sunday....anything from highway for 50+ miles, 100 miles of dirtroads, to a little single track. Averaged 54 mpg. I carried two extra gallons in an MSR Dromedary 10 liter bag. It rides really well in the original GL tail bag. Filled up at the 110mile mark (gps) and and filled up near my house at the conclusion..great day for 4 gallons of fuel! Beside freezing my ass off...about 39 deg. all day...gotta love Carhart coveralls!!!
    Ill try to get pics on next Sundays ride...just got a new camera!
    Here it is all cleaned up...kinda

Bar set up
    [​IMG]

Polished up
    [​IMG]

The grip heater switch on the right side above the CRF sticker.
    [​IMG]
    Ill try to get pics on next Sundays ride...just got a new camera!
    Cheers safe riding
  11. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I did it, I went out and rode a WR250R thinking that I might add this bike to my stable, but not to replace the Honda CRF250L, but after a short ride I could find very little that I liked that much over my CRF250L. First I didn't like the height of the bike, too tall for me (yes it can be lowered), but I like my bikes to fit me in the stock manufactured setup of the bike. Second I didn't like the power band, it just came on all at once (bike did have a aftermarket exhaust on it) but from what I have read this is the way the bike runs, third, just didn't think it was worth the difference in price over the Honda for what it offered as an all around bike for me. At 68 I'm really happy with the Honda and think it was the best choice for me, obviously others think the same way. Since I have always ridden, KLR's, DR's, and BMW 650's as they run somewhat the same in their own power-band (smoother) that's probably why I like the Honda better.

John
  12. Lapchik

Lapchik Professional Neurotic

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a solution for the brake pedal? I fell at about 10mph and this happened. Are there folding brake pedals designed like the folding shift pedals?
    [​IMG]
  13. emreturkeli

emreturkeli "Ruzgarin Tersine"

Oddometer:
    same here... looking for a solution, any help is much appreciated! :clap
  14. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    try using a brake snake -
  15. ccooper

ccooper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike...I'm thinking seriously about buying one of these bikes for my wife and 17 year old son to share and ride with me. Of course I'll also use it for stuff too "off-road" for my F800GS. Who makes the fender eliminator kit/tag mount you have? Also who makes the rear luggage rack? Thanks
  16. Irish769

Irish769 In Principio Erat Verbum

Oddometer:
    I've always wondered about these. Not having any off road experience I was not familiar with the concept. I'm having a hard time envisioning how these can help keep the pedal from being pushed inward. Clearly there has to be enough slack in the cable to allow the pedal to travel up and down so how does it help otherwise? Seems a guy could buy some coated cable and fittings at Home Depot and build one for a few bucks.
  17. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:

Check it out

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WtTE08HliM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright guys, I am about to make an order and have a few questions.

First, I am getting a 13t front sprocket. I have NEVER replaced a single sprocket without replacing both sprockets and the chain...at 1,600 miles is it both acceptable and possible to install a 13t sprocket and keep the factory chain and rear?

Second, a service manual is $50...is that about right price wise?

Then a magnetic drain plug. No questions here haha

Thanks!
  19. Kevinsterner

Kevinsterner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would rather have it bend than break off. You can always beat it back into shape.
  20. Kevinsterner

Kevinsterner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Irish, you are correct. I built mine from some cable from HOme Depot. it is mainly to keep branches from wedging between the cases and that pedal. It won't keep the pedal from getting smashed in.